What would you do if.......

This is a discussion on What would you do if....... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently got into a traffic altercation on the freeway. Bottom line is that the other driver purposely tried to force me into the concrete ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What would you do if.......

I recently got into a traffic altercation on the freeway. Bottom line is that the other driver purposely tried to force me into the concrete barrier in the far right lane at 60 MPH! He made contact with my vehicle and pushed, but I held the wheel and the puke took off.

My question is if I had my pistol, could I have shot at him to stop the threat? That seems dangerous too, but I could have been killed by this guy.

Not sure what the law would say but, I would think that trying to shoot with one hand and drive with the other would have made it much more likely that you would have wrecked.

I would have slammed the brakes and tried my best to get away from the fool.

What, if I may ask, precipitated this incident?
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Hitting the brakes and letting him go on by would have been quicker.

If he wanted to play longer, and I couldn't get away from him, I'd PIT him.

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    Not sure what the law would say but, I would think that trying to shoot with one hand.........

What, if I may ask, precipitated this incident?
    He cut me off, and I leaned on the horn a few times. That was it. This guy was obviously nuts.

I did what you said. slammed on the brakes, but he matched my speed! Finally he took off. I called the cops, and they took a report. Treated it as hit and run.

BTW, he caused about $1000 worth of damage to my drivers door and side panel.
    Last edited by NV Resident; June 23rd, 2008 at 02:35 AM. Reason: more info.

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Welcome to the Forum! Just watch your 6 - people are likely to get dumber as prices continue to rise!
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    So, you are asking it if would be okay to render a vehicle, traveling at 60 miles per hour, without a driver?
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Yeah Agave, I agree. If I'd shot him and he ran into someone else... sheesh, I could have been in a world of carp. Just wanted to bounce this off you guys. I guess there was a reason I wasn't carrying then. Although, I'd like to think I wouldn't have been foolish enough to do that. I don't consider myself a hot head.

Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post

Agreed.

Two wrongs don't make a right.
    Firing on dude, via a road rage incident, to result in him hitting some other uninvolved person sharing the road with you would not be looked upon as innocence.
    Hit the brakes and let fool go on by.

Also these days I don't blow the horn at anyone.
    Might as well not even have a horn. Crazy people are everywhere and they have access to 2 or 3 ton vehicles with horns too.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post

+1 on that, any way you can escape or deescalate the situation will work in your favor.

Thanks guys. After thinking this thru, I realized that there are much more complicated defense-shooting scenarios than this one. Cool avatar by the way, Janq. I vaguely recognize it. What film is that from?

Denzel Washington with a Glock in 'Man on Fire'

Everyone---be careful on the roads out there! Simply put "things are getting crazy" is just the tip of the iceberg. Sometimes I wish I had a chauffer and could sleep during commute times. Some things that happen on the road these days could be considered attempted murder and in your case I would report it as such.

Welcome to the forum NVR

My Options:

1. I'd PIT the guy, although then one would have to deal with an irrate driver who may or may not be armed.

2. Brake and let the guy pass me and then stay on his tail while calling the cops.

in either case, memorizing the License Plate number would be a must
    I am sworn to protect the Constitution of the U.S.A. from all threats both foreign and domestic.

Welcome to the forum, NVR. I hope they catch the guy. And I hope you are not out-of-pocket much to fix your car.

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Also these days I don't blow the horn at anyone.
    I may have to consider this. You never know what will set people off. Saturday I was following a van and they almost stopped in the middle of the road. A pickup was waiting to cross our lane, and he had his nose stuck almost into our lane. As I went by, I honked, and it set the fool in the pickup off. He immediately started honking himself. He pulled out and went the other way, but he could have just as easily pulled in behind us and started road raging.

Laying off my horn may be a new defensive tactic I need to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Everyone---be careful on the roads out there! Simply put "things are getting crazy" is just the tip of the iceberg. Sometimes I wish I had a chauffer and could sleep during commute times.
    My rush-hour drives to drop off and pick up my daughter from school are easily the most dangerous times of the day. I carried in the car even before I received my permit, which was legal in Missouri. It previously was written into law that one could carry into a school zone, any school zone, even with no license if you were dropping off your kid.

But yeh, the roads are dangerous. I've noted around here some of the young women are starting to drive as aggressive as the young men. Equal opportunities to have an accident, I guess.

1 you are driveing a weapon your car is deadly one too.
    2. in that type of problem knowledge is your freind TELL THE POLICE
    your side asap so there is a clear cut good guy when they find two cars smashed up and soomeone possibly shot up.
    SIGSAUR 1911 gsr 45
    S a W SIGMA 9mm CRAP
    Ruger 10 22
    Black powder 44 cal revolver

I not going to worry about shooting anybody in a 'bumper car' dispute, I'll just want to keep my car going on the straight and narrow. I would use my car as a 'ram' if I had to...easier to explain than pulling a weapon. A 3,500 # bullet is nothing to mess with...if run off of the road...I'll stop and THEN have my Kimber close by...as I dial 911...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links