Holding hands

This is a discussion on Holding hands within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If any incident were to happen while walking with my wife..She's a lefty CHL and I am Right CHL...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Holding hands

If any incident were to happen while walking with my wife..She's a lefty CHL and I am Right CHL

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    I try to keep my strong hand free
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Been married 22 years, I let my wife carry everything and that keeps both my hands free.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakotaranger View Post
    That's why you carry a BUG and train.
    Hi. Sorry for my ignorance, but what do you mean by a BUG?

Quote Originally Posted by buzzgum View Post
    Acronym for Back Up Gun

Senior Moderator
    Since both JD and I are right-handed it's hard for both of us to keep our strong-side free when we are holding hands.

This is why we have deliberately set up rules to our carrying habits and rules to how we will respond to threats when we are together.

JD is the primary shooter. The man on point, if you will. If anything happens he responds first and I fall back to cover my "piece of the pie", call the police, cover his reloads (if necessary) and provide covering fire for escape if necessary. Once the little one is born I have one primary goal.. Getting myself and our child out of harms way while he defends our escape.

Because of my secondary role I fall in step with him on his left side and hold his weak hand.

If I were the primary shooter we would switch. But it makes more sense that he is primary as he has more combat experience than I do and he is a good leader. He thinks quick under stress and responds quickly to situations. I have no problem submitting myself to his authority when the metal starts meeting the meat.

We have also practiced some cases of using one another for concealing draws and so forth.

For instance, standing in line at a fast food restaurant, it's not unusual for me to wrap my arms around him and lay my head on his chest. He wraps his arms around me and we wait.

To the outsider it just looks like we're hugging, and to someone else that may look tactically unsound. What they don't know is that while I'm standing there, my hand is under his cover garment and I'm gripping the butt of his gun and often he's doing the same to me. If anything were to start we already have a better position than if we weren't holding each other because we already have our hands on firearms AND we still get to hug each other.. Extra bonus!!

JD and I are very comfortable with each other, the way we carry and we've done a lot to learn to use each others habits for rather than against us.

One shooter in the midst of bad guys is good, two shooters is better, but two shooters working as a team is best of all.

We are as much a tactical team as we are a martial team and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Acronym for Back Up Gun
    ahh...thanks!

Don't feel ignorant. When I first joined this site, I thought people were carrying around killer attack roaches or something. I just never asked. Finally figured it out on my own though.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

BUG = Backup Up Gun

Nothing wrong with asking. Here are two links to a list of acronyms you will find buzzing around this site. (I have to go there too sometimes to look something up!)

Defensive Carry - Acronyms
    Ammunition - Acronyms and Features

Interestingly enough, "BUG" is not on the list. Maybe Bumper can edit that in?

I think if my wife and I were walking, and she was on my right side, and something were to seem out of place, she would instinctively move behind me and over to my left side, freeing my right hand/side.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    One shooter in the midst of bad guys is good, two shooters is better, but two shooters working as a team is best of all.
    Yeah, but have you figgered how to draw effectively, with li'l Buckshot in the way? That presents a bit of a problem, eh?

I nice "problem" to have, no matter how you slice it. I wish you both well.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by JonInNY View Post
    BUG = Backup Up Gun

Nothing wrong with asking. Here are two links to a list of acronyms you will find buzzing around this site. (I have to go there too sometimes to look something up!)

Defensive Carry - Acronyms
    Ammunition - Acronyms and Features

Interestingly enough, "BUG" is not on the list. Maybe Bumper can edit that in?
    I checked those first before posting and like you said, BUG wasn't there. Thanks to everyone for their help.

This forum is great. So much useful information.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Yeah, but have you figgered how to draw effectively, with li'l Buckshot in the way? That presents a bit of a problem, eh?

I nice "problem" to have, no matter how you slice it. I wish you both well.
    Actually... Yes..lol

I am going to carry the little one in a sling on my left side.

Most people carry their children in their car seat/travel thingies these days but after much research I figured carrying the baby on body, in a sling, concentrated more on my left side will free up my right hand for draw and be easier to escape with. I can use both hands to control my firearm while the baby is secured to my body so I don't have to worry about one hand holding the car seat/baby carrier.

My husband was laughing at me because he swears I'm the only woman he's ever met who approaches carrying a baby from a tactical standpoint rather than anything else.

I've practiced with both a teddy-bear and my cat (the teddy-bear was easier but the cat was more like real life cause he was thrashing and didn't like being in a sling very much) but it worked REALLY well.

So, so far, that's the plan!

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    We are as much a tactical team as we are a martial team and I wouldn't have it any other way.
    Going by what you've described in your post, it works exactly as you've written it, but did you mean marital???
    Clinging to guns and God in PA...

Quote Originally Posted by Fjolnirsson View Post
    I used to have to make a conscious effort to keep my gun hand free. After 24 weeks of the police academy, it became second nature. Probably because we had to do pushups if caught carrying anything in that hand. That was almost five years ago, and I still have trouble carrying anything in that hand, it makes me VERY uncomfortable.
    I hold my daughters hand when I am out, and my wife usually has her other one.
    As a retired LEO and NRA instructor I agree with you,it does become habit ( a good one) keep an alert open mind, be safe out there.

Senior Moderator
    Lima the sling or a baby backpack are the best ways to carry little ones.

Its what my wife and I use for the same reasons you listed.

The only problem is that he is heavy enough now that I am usually carrying him in the backpack.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links