Holding hands

This is a discussion on Holding hands within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Lima, bless you, not only do you phrase your thoughts clearly and concisely, you are also an excellent instructor, and you serve it up with ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Holding hands

Talking

Lima, bless you, not only do you phrase your thoughts clearly and concisely, you are also an excellent instructor, and you serve it up with the very palatable sauce of humor!
    What you write is most worth reading!
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
    Yep, strong side stays free.
    Ditto for me. Her strong side (right) thou is encumbered by my hand.

If however, the street is on our left, then she is on my right, and her strong side is free.

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    Since both JD and I are right-handed it's

One shooter in the midst of bad guys is good, two shooters is better, but two shooters working as a team is best of all.

We are as much a tactical team as we are a martial team and I wouldn't have it any other way.
    I pity the bad guys who are fools enough to take on you two.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by rmarkob View Post
    Going by what you've described in your post, it works exactly as you've written it, but did you mean marital???
    Yep, .. That's what I meant... Darn fingers running away with my brain again!

No, my wife holds the leash and it gets shorter all the time
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    it works for me, as I am left handed but shoot hand and am right eye dominate...so I am carry kids, or hold hand with strong arm, and then have firearm on right side...also nice when I practice 'fending' off someone with my knife or non shooting arm..
    I always keep my firearm side free....
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

me
    I have this thing with wanting to have the lady away from the street side as was mentioned earlier as courtesy, learned it from my dad, so that normally puts my strong hand in her hand (surprisingly except for the one time I almost had to draw from this situation). With this in mind I have begun to carry a BUG in my left front pocket, which makes better sense with me shooting it better lefty. So primary is SS and BUG WS
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Strong side is always free.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Strong hand is almost always free. If it is in use it is because it is holding a gun.
    Michigan Gun Owner
    Michigan CPL Holder
    Proud Member of The NRA

My husband was laughing at me because he swears I'm the only woman he's ever met who approaches carrying a baby from a tactical standpoint rather than anything else.
    Yeah, well ... look at it from the baby's perspective. He/she is already plotting to pop out with a full bomb load, as you well know.

You definitely need to know how to do the "bombload" two-step while carrying, and that's a fact. Perhaps one of those baby backpacks, which will free up both your hands. Hm.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    I've practiced with both a teddy-bear and my cat (the teddy-bear was easier but the cat was more like real life cause he was thrashing and didn't like being in a sling very much) but it worked REALLY well.
    I don't suppose you video taped that.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Keep your strong hand free.

At one point, a gal called me on it. NOT on carrying or keeping my right hand free, but her issue was we were always walking down the wrong (left) side of the street. Me on the street side of the sidwalk, right hand free, and her to my left.

I never knew there was a proper side of the street to walk on, they have sidewalks on both sides !! *lol* what can I say!

I wouldn't worry so much about holding hands with my strong side hand, or even carrying something that I can quickly drop. In any encounter therr is going to be an evaluation process that will take place before I decide to act. I don't think I am losing any time by dropping something. Granted in theory it would be good to have your strong hand free, but often not practical, so I don't stress about it.

I do avoid burying my hand deep into my pocket or carrying my daughter with my right hand and arm. I am not willing to drop her and it would take some time and effort to sit her down or change hands. Other than that I don't really concern myself with it. But Congrats to those who are diligent.

Don't mistake this as me saying that I don't pay attention to responding quickly or preparing for threats. I just don't see this as a big issue. In fact I am going to post a thread on, "Be your wife's bodyguard."

Yes, my strong hand is almost always free. However, I started keeping my right hand free not due to CCW issues, but because of my military service. It was instilled in me to keep the right hand free for saluting purposes. I was keeping my right hand free before I ever started carrying.

+1 to the poster who said that they would hate to mess with JD and Lima.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by exactlymypoint View Post
    I don't suppose you video taped that.
    LOL.. No, but it sure would have been a funny video.

My 11 lbs cat, in my baby sling, looking around with big scared eyes cause he had no idea what was going on and me practicing my draw.... I think there would have to be a lot of explaining going on...lol

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links