Holding hands

This is a discussion on Holding hands within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; well we both carry on the right side, so one of us always will have that hand free, one of us always wont....

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Holding hands

well we both carry on the right side, so one of us always will have that hand free, one of us always wont.
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

2. Remove Ads

I carry in the back where I can grab it with either hand.

It's good to practice one-handed at the range (or dry firing) and also swap your strong hand.
    That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about a hundred and nine, ninety five. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. You got that?

http://www.nevadashooters.com

So the question is, if you are with your wife/girlfriend, and you are holding hands, do you deliberately use your weak hand so that your strong hand is free?
    Yes, and she knows this by now and it's natural for her to be on my weak side.

I make it a point to always keep my strong hand free. It's become automatic.
    Same here, although there are occasions when I catch myself with extra baggage, but the ice cream, or the eggs, or the coffee are more than willing to take a fall and hit the pavement should the need arise. It's always nice to have stunt groceries. Some of them are real troopers because they know they won't survive a three foot fall.

Military Service

Quote Originally Posted by mulle46 View Post
    Yes, my strong hand is almost always free. However, I started keeping my right hand free not due to CCW issues, but because of my military service. It was instilled in me to keep the right hand free for saluting purposes. I was keeping my right hand free before I ever started carrying.
    Ditto for me. Four years in The Corps along with four in the Army my right hand is available when ever practicable, even in civilian attire. It actually feels funny to even try to carry something right handed. I can't make myself do it.

-James

It is rare that I carry any items in my right hand. Even then, I cannot imagine carrying anything that is too value to drop if a life is at stake.

gotta add my .02

the man walking by the road tradition stems from the old days before plumming, people in europe would toss the days "do-do" out the of their houses into the gutter. of course no lady would want to walk near that right?

who said the history channel is impractical?!

everybody else answered everything else. ha!

Quote Originally Posted by isaiah357 View Post
    gotta add my .02

the man walking by the road tradition stems from the old days before plumming, people in europe would toss the days "do-do" out the of their houses into the gutter. of course no lady would want to walk near that right?

who said the history channel is impractical?!

everybody else answered everything else. ha!
    SO.....even in a historical sense, your 'protecting' your significant other from the 'stinky' of socity.......? Very intresting
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Now I only read the first 20 posts, and the number of comments about keeping the strong side empty/free (holding hands, carrying bags...)

For me personally, the only inconvenience to my strong side is the dog leash (weak side as well for that matter, I really don't want the dog running off - she is too smart for her own good, yet she won't just get behind me and sit down if something happens). Anything else I would not hesitate to instantly drop whatever is in my hand(s) to go through the motions of becoming unconcealed. $50 dollars in groceries (or insert what ever you may be carrying) or my life...Hmm.

Regarding holding hands with the SO, either side still works, I'll bet you still work to put yourself between the threat and the SO while becoming unconcealed.

This is just me though. I carry tucked IWB, so for a quick response, I need both hands. My wife knows to NOT keep a grip-o-death on my hand.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by jaaronkozak View Post
    Ditto for me. Four years in The Corps along with four in the Army my right hand is available when ever practicable, even in civilian attire. It actually feels funny to even try to carry something right handed. I can't make myself do it.

-James
    Same here. After 5 years active duty in the Corps, it's almost impossible for me to carry things in my right hand, regardless of whether I'm in uniform or not.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

I always hold with the right, and that is something I don't do a whole lot so I don't have her sieze up on my hand lol.

yeah married 27 years and I still hold my wife's hand...

she get s the left side (I am ambidextrous - but more comfortable right handed)

she gets the left because in 8 years in the Army...

my hearing got damaged just enough and in just the right frequency range that I only get 1/3 - 1/2 of the frequency that her voice falls in (in my right ear....) but I can hear it much better in my left - audiologist who ran the tests told her I was not selectively hearing her and that if she wants to be heard it is the left side or

(that information alone probably saved my marriage

Usually I keep my strong hand free to have access to my primary, but I do use my strong side to support my wife from time to time when she feels the need to latch on. Usually she is on my weak side unless we are walking next to a potential threat such as vehicle traffic when walking down the street or sidewalk.

I also always have my BUG accessible to my weak side hand so bases are covered either way.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Originally Posted by mulle46
    Yes, my strong hand is almost always free. However, I started keeping my right hand free not due to CCW issues, but because of my military service. It was instilled in me to keep the right hand free for saluting purposes. I was keeping my right hand free before I ever started carrying.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaaronkozak View Post

-James
    Same thing here (Army, early 80's). What bugs me though is that I'm a lefty, so I'm SOL whatever I do.

(I also seem to start walking w/ my left foot . . .)
    Freedom ... must be fought for, protected, and handed on ... or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. -- Ronald Reagan, 1967

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    My wife ( who is fairly well trained herself ) stays off my right side . After 25+ years we still hold hands , my left her right . Experience has shown if the need arises she steps behind me and draws either her ccw or my bug depending on her dress code ( i dress as chick slob all the time lol ) . What looks like a typical reaction of the woman being protected ends up with a fine shooter ( with the proper mindset ) being seen again for the first time presenting a weapon . When in public ( such as eating out ) if we cannot get a seat at the back of the room i will face the door and she will set where she needs to to best see the entire room . I keep an eye of folks as they come in , she watches the customers that allready there . This sounds bad and hard to do but with both our backgrounds its natural for us . Neither of us would be comfortable to ignore what happens around us , and both of us trust the other to get home safe every night .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    You hold hands with your WIFE???
    I make it a point to always keep my strong hand free. It's become automatic.

Not only do I keep my right hand free when walking the wife or the dog, I can not also stand to have someone that I am talking to stand close to my right side. If they stand close, I will move back a few steps.
    Randy
    "The only purpose for a pistol is to fight your way back to the rifle you should have never laid down". -unknown

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links