Attempted car jacker... - Page 2

Attempted car jacker...

This is a discussion on Attempted car jacker... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Way to stay alert. Good job. Shoot? Don't shoot? Your alive and you don't need a lawyer...What could be wrong with that!...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    VIP Member
    Way to stay alert. Good job. Shoot? Don't shoot? Your alive and you don't need a lawyer...What could be wrong with that!
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

[/QUOTE]
    Also, when you first saw them park and the guy start to approach would you have been able to drive away from that spot or were you blocked in at that point as well?[/QUOTE]

He made it look like he was walking into the bar until the last moment. That thought has gone through my mind also.

Quote Originally Posted by nlax2011 View Post
    Wow. Glad it turned out alright. And I agree with your thinking here. You only had that split second there like you said, even though you shooting may have been justified when he showed his gun, taking a life and dealing with all the related consequences should make that a last resort. All in all, good job!

Makes me rethink not having some sort of light now..... Not that my Kahr can take one, but at least have one handy to use.

It has been hard to carry with the light attached due to the lack of holsters that will work with a light on the SC XD. I will never carry at night without it again, i truly think that it saved my life last night.

When i don't carry with the attached light i carry a SureFire G2 with the high intensity lamp. The are under $50 and the best hand held light that i have ever owned. It has replaced my spotlight in my duck boat for a few years now and i haven't looked back. They are so bright that you get dizzy looking into one. One flash into a perps eyes will destroy his night vision giving you the edge that will help you to survive. Get one, you wont regret it....

First, great job! You did well and nobody got killed. Second, this is truly the first use of a tactical light that I can say was worth having one. Third, and this is just a guess, I would think that if you had driven away on their approach you would have been leaving your girlfriend and sister unprotected so that really wasn't’t much of an option. Fourth, I would have loved to see his expression when you stuck your gun in his face. Fifth, I did not quite understand the part when he ran back to the car. Did they pull up behind you and try to block you in? What I am envisioning would have had me out of my truck taking cover if this is the case. I say this only because most cars/trucks seem to be made of paper when it comes to stopping bullets. I can see being shot through the door while they drove past. And last, I hope your girlfriend now knows you are not paranoid just responsible and cautious.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by havegunjoe View Post
    First, great job! You did well and nobody got killed. Second, this is truly the first use of a tactical light that I can say was worth having one. Third, and this is just a guess, I would think that if you had driven away on their approach you would have been leaving your girlfriend and sister unprotected so that really wasn't’t much of an option. Fourth, I would have loved to see his expression when you stuck your gun in his face. Fifth, I did not’t quite understand the part when he ran back to the car. Did they pull up behind you and try to block you in? What I am envisioning would have had me out of my truck taking cover if this is the case. I say this only because most cars/trucks seem to be made of paper when it comes to stopping bullets. And last, I hope your girlfriend now knows you are not paranoid just responsible and cautious.
    That is exactly what i thought after i evaluated my actions. i should have took cover behind my truck wen they approached in the car, i left myself very unprotected sitting in my truck. If they would have got out and went to opposite sides of my truck i would have been a sitting duck... I will never make that mistake again. I dont know if they were trying to block me in. I think that the people in the road made them give up and go. God know what they were planing to do. as far as his expression..it was priceless. I am 23 years old and am a General Manager of a hotel. I was in a suit and tie at the time. They must have thought i was an easy target (and had money) by my appearance. Leaving my family unprotected will never be an option, I am not a sheep and will never be.

Like I said.....

Quote Originally Posted by jp4240 View Post
    That is exactly what i thought after i evaluated my actions. i should have took cover behind my truck wen they approached in the car, i left myself very unprotected sitting in my truck. If they would have got out and went to opposite sides of my truck i would have been a sitting duck... I will never make that mistake again. I dont know if they were trying to block me in. I think that the people in the road made them give up and go. God know what they were planing to do. as far as his expression..it was priceless. I am 23 years old and am a General Manager of a hotel. I was in a suit and tie at the time. They must have thought i was an easy target (and had money) by my appearance. Leaving my family unprotected will never be an option, I am not a sheep and will never be.

Like I said, “Great job”. I’ll bet they weren’t planning to continue the confrontation as they now knew you were not an easy mark but an armed citizen. No future in it for them. Better to get out while they have the chance.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Man, that's a great result.

I think you showed extraordinary restraint in not shooting the dude. I really do. Someone demands all my money and flashes a gun at me, he's probably going to get shot. Maybe we both will. Maybe other people, too. But I'm thinking that in that situation, it's normally going to be "go time".

Fantastic that it worked out the way it did. No legal bills, no arrests, no police reports, no lawyers, no hassle.

Great, great, great!
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

VIP Member
    My major concern was that it was 2am and the streets were active with innocent people leaving the bar.

I guess for me i don't want to shoot because i can legally, I want to because i have no other choice.

The thoughts of living with the consequences both legally and morally of taking somebody's life are almost as scary as the actual incident last night. I don't take this privilege of carrying lightly at all. pulling the trigger, is in my mind, the ultimate last resort.
    Only you know how much you are in control. You demonstrate considerable control of your trigger finger. As Dwight David Eisenhower said, “Though force can protect in emergency, only justice, fairness, consideration and cooperation can finally lead men to the dawn of eternal peace.” Keep the faith. But you've got to stay alive to keep the faith.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Wow,
    Really glad it turned out well for you.

After reading some of the other replies to your post, I'm reminded of something I heard from an instructor. And that is that most people wait too long when using deadly force to defend themselves -- as opposed to being too quick to use it.

In your case, things worked out well. I'd be curious as to how other 'experts' would evaluate the whole scenario. I can see a few sides to this one. Although he didn't draw his weapon, it seems that he had some advantage in that he was standing and better able to acquire a better position on you. If he ran quickly behind the truck while drawing his gun, would he have had the edge on you?

I'm not judging because I don't know whether your actions were on the money or not.......again, glad you're ok.....I'm sure there's something for all of us to learn here.

Quote Originally Posted by havegunjoe View Post
    First, great job! You did well and nobody got killed. Second, this is truly the first use of a tactical light that I can say was worth having one. Third, and this is just a guess, I would think that if you had driven away on their approach you would have been leaving your girlfriend and sister unprotected so that really wasn't’t much of an option. Fourth, I would have loved to see his expression when you stuck your gun in his face. Fifth, I did not quite understand the part when he ran back to the car. Did they pull up behind you and try to block you in? What I am envisioning would have had me out of my truck taking cover if this is the case. I say this only because most cars/trucks seem to be made of paper when it comes to stopping bullets. I can see being shot through the door while they drove past. And last, I hope your girlfriend now knows you are not paranoid just responsible and cautious.
    Would like to hear more of your thoughts regarding the use of a tactical light.

I don't have one and am curious as to whether I should.

Glad to hear that you and your family are safe!!

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    The thoughts of living with the consequences both legally and morally of taking somebody's life are almost as scary as the actual incident last night. I don't take this privilege of carrying lightly at all. pulling the trigger, is in my mind, the ultimate last resort.
    Bravo, jp. That is the crux of the matter right there, and I applaud you for it.

Your awareness was top notch. Your preparedness was top notch. When you saw his gun, it sounds like you knew you might have to shoot but you also knew that there was still a choice. You were aware of the innocents around you in the event a gunfight did break out.

Maybe you could have made better use of cover, but it sounds like you did everything else exactly, 100% right. Well done!
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

You went home safe with no shots fired.

GOOD JOB!!!

You are alive and not having to post bail or be the subject of an investigation. That counts as a win in my book. Just because one can legally shoot doesn't mean he or she necessarily should.

I can only hope that I do as well the next time I am forced to use deadly force.

Biker

Really good job, and being an arm chair QB at this time I would hope I would have not fired at that point either. Having your gun aimed at the guy, it sounds like you had the advantage if he were to reach to his pants. That says a lot for having your gun at the ready when sitting in the car. Also, it reminds me I need to get myself some thing with a magazine to go along with my 442. In that same situation, had I had to shoot what if the other 2 came running. Maybe it takes 2 or 3 to stop the threat and now I only have 2 or 3 rounds left. I wish money grew on trees

Administrator
    Seems as if you acted perfectly in the situation, nice job. Please don't think your light is for night time use only, they do just as well during the day... but thats a new thread.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links