Attempted car jacker...

This is a discussion on Attempted car jacker... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Great job. You came away unharmed and you didn't have call your lawyer. Sounds like the opportunity to shoot was a very small window as ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Attempted car jacker...

Great job. You came away unharmed and you didn't have call your lawyer.

Sounds like the opportunity to shoot was a very small window as he took off as soon as he saw your firearm and, of course, you can't shoot a fleeing man. I can't second guess it, but I may have fired upon presentation.

For me, the issue is dealing with the multiple threats in the car. You were lucky they didn't do a drive by on you. Options: Hit the gas and vacate or exit to the other side for cover until they left. Staying in place could have worked out badly for you.

2. Remove Ads

Thank you all for your kind words, epically kazzaerexys. You people are what make this site as good as it is. All your input is appreciated epically those who have criticized my actions, without that i would not have the opportunity to learn from all of you. Thank you all. Be safe an be aware when you are out there....

Just not a gadget guy...

Quote Originally Posted by JTKarp View Post
    Would like to hear more of your thoughts regarding the use of a tactical light.

I don't have one and am curious as to whether I should.
    I’m just not a gadget guy. I carry a pocket knife in addition to my gun but I have carried a knife since about 8 yrs. old. I don’t have a use for a flashlight and tactical lights are too bulky to carry everyday IMHO. In the home I have this vision of this finger of light pointing to me for the bad guy to zero in on. Blinding this creep worked well but how often would that happen? Not much I think. Not enough to warrant carrying one all the time.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by havegunjoe View Post
    Iím just not a gadget guy. I carry a pocket knife in addition to my gun but I have carried a knife since about 8 yrs. old. I donít have a use for a flashlight and tactical lights are too bulky to carry everyday IMHO. In the home I have this vision of this finger of light pointing to me for the bad guy to zero in on. Blinding this creep worked well but how often would that happen? Not much I think. Not enough to warrant carrying one all the time.
    I feel like there is a time and place for a weapon light. If you have not already established your target (ie. in a home while conducting a search)the use of a light may very easily give away your position.

If you have a target advancing on you the light may serve multiple purposes.

-to blind and disorent a target.

-disrupt his night vision if it dark enough.

-verify that the target has a weapon.

-just having a flashlight to ID a target, i have been told is a good thing to have if you ever find yourself in front of a jury.

I am a firm believer in carrying a knife. I am really fond of assisted opening types of knives. I carry a Kershaw every day with me clipped on my pocket.

Perfect Example of a Mature CHL!!!!!

Awesome choice not to take a life!!! Although you had the law on your side to do so..You didn't...Excellent!!!! Excellent!!!!! Great Example of a CHL ...Continue to besafe.

tag # & police ... would have been my step # 2.

You did GOOD... you stopped the threat, were aware of your surroundings and an impending danger..... and went home safe and in your own car. That's the whole idea. All else, is secondary.

I would have loved to have seen in the papers.... CCH is threatened with a gun during an attempted car jacking, and stopped the perp.... without firing a shot. What would the anti's have been able to do with that scenario.

wow, powerful story, thanks for sharing.

You have an exciting story and you are fortunate to not have holes in you. That was a tough situation.
    Your decision not to fire was right [because nothing happened] and you would probably have spent the night in jail while the police sorted things out.
    One other suggestion I would make for you is a Crimson Trace laser. The night sights are great and the CT allows you to have a bead without using your sights. I am assuming that sitting in a truck with the window up makes it very difficult to get the pistol up and out to where you could see your sights. With the laser you could have a bead on him as soon as the pistol was above the door frame. He would also know you had him even as he walked away.
    Getting out of the truck and to the other side might have been a smart move.

I don't think anyone can honestly fault anything you did. Sure, after thinking about it you can come up with all kinds of things you would do differently, that's normal. You were aware, prepared, and you didn't have to fire your gun to end the confrontation. I think any of us could rest easy with that outcome.

You're the man. How you refrained from pulling the trigger ...

All I can say is: well done, and thank G-d that you're here to tell the tale.

G-d bless the II Amendment!!

You made another statement that perhaps many of us readers including myself may have overlooked; that being how important a good flashlight can be for SD. Just looking at things as you described, that may have been the detering factor between you having to shoot your way out or not.
    Once again thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by golfer View Post
    You made another statement that perhaps many of us readers including myself may have overlooked; that being how important a good flashlight can be for SD. Just looking at things as you described, that may have been the detering factor between you having to shoot your way out or not.
    Once again thanks for sharing.
    Now I know I'm getting a lasermax in my carry piece ...

Amazing story. I bet your heart was beating like crazy.

I wonder if a light could fit in my holster though.
    That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about a hundred and nine, ninety five. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. You got that?

http://www.nevadashooters.com

jp4240...

1) Everything turned out ok! Job 1 is to survive! Good Job!

2) Pertaining to your mind set, (and this is a perfectly normal response for people who do not normally face violence) but I am curious if it played a role;

At the moment he flashed his gun, or at any point, did your mind delay your response by thinking to yourself, "I can't believe this is happening to me!"? If so, how much lag time do you think took place?

3) As you stated in your post after the initial encounter, and the BG's vehicle pulled directly behind you and again as they drove past you leaving you with a very vulnerable feeling... If this scenario were to play out again in the future exactly the same way, would you shoot as soon as he asked for money and displayed his gun?

4) Good use of your tactical light mounted on your pistol and understandable why you are now sold on the idea of having it. See my holster recommendation below.

5) Does your girlfriend continue to think you are too paranoid?

Bottom line, I think you handled yourself well.

I think you had excellent situational awareness.

I think you had the forethought to have your gun already "in your hand" and ready when the guy approached your window.

As always, change one component of the situation and things could have gone totally differently. Good or Bad, you have no way of knowing. So really there is no way to second guess you on this one.

As far as getting a holster for your Sub Compact XD with your tac light, you may want to check out the Phantom Light Compatible Holster available from The Malbar Front. (Be sure to check out their accessories to convert the holster into an IWB, OWB, Pancake, or Tuckable versions!)

Regarding tritium night sights, I have XS Big Dot Tritium Sights on my XD9sc and love them. They work and have lightning fast acquisition! I prefer them over all my other traditional 3 dot tritium sights on my other guns.

Good Job! Stay Safe!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

thanks for posting and I can say that i definately learned something from this post. Thanks again, glad you are safe.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links