Attempted car jacker...

This is a discussion on Attempted car jacker... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Last night was my girlfriend’s sisters 21st birthday. They went to the bar district in Saginaw known as Hamilton St. to celebrate. I was there ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Attempted car jacker...

Attempted car jacker...

Last night was my girlfriend’s sisters 21st birthday. They went to the bar district in Saginaw known as Hamilton St. to celebrate. I was there ride home at two when the bars closed, as I do not drink and rarely go to bars. I was waiting outside the Pub for them to come out when a junky white Sunfire drove around the block twice with three males in it. They parked 40 yards behind me down the street. Initially the car and its occupants gave me a really weird feeling, so at that point I am watching them in my mirror while scanning for other threats. One male got out of the car and walked down the sidewalk towards me and the bar. By now I have my Springfield XD Sc in .40 with the XML tac light in my hand. The guy came up to my window which was just cracked enough to hear him and asked for a cigarette, I told him that I did not have any more. It was very dark where we were and he could not tell that I had my gun in my hand pointed at him through the door the whole time. After he asked for a smoke he turned his head side to side like he was looking around and said “how about all your money than " as he pulled up his shirt to show me his gun. As soon as he showed me his gun my XD was in his face with the light in his eyes. He was so surprised that I wasn’t the typical “sheep” and that a blinding light was suddenly in his eyes that he stumbled a few steps back said oh crap and ran back to his car. I never took my gun off of him while he was running incase he started shooting at me. I noticed that there was a couple crossing the road in front of my truck as the car with the perp pull up behind me and blocked me in. My first instinct was to get out of there as soon as he was no longer a threat, but because of the people crossing the road I was unable to move my truck. At that point I was sure that they were going to pull up next to me and start shooting. As they drove by I pointed my gun at the car, out my window, with my tac light on. The people in the car squinted as they could not look into my weapon mounted light. Judging by the passengers body language I think he had a gun in his had out of sight, but I will never know for sure. I think that the only reason they did not shoot was because of the witnesses that were standing by my truck. They pulled off as fast as they came there and I got out of there ASAP.

After I got home I realized how close I came to possibly being shot by them as they drove by. Looking back I feel like should have got out of my truck and took cover behind it as they drove by. I feel like I left myself very vulnerable to them, it all happened so fast that I had little time to think.

A few thoughts that I had had after looking back at the situation…

-I will never carry my gun at night without my light on it again. I think that this gave me a priceless advantage against them. I don’t think that the situation would have turned out as good for me if I didn’t have it.

-I am going today to have night sights installed on my gun. I now know what it is like to aim a gun under stress with a poor sight picture and do not want to do it again.

-My girlfriend always says that I am paranoid because of the way I am always watching people around me. Sometimes I think that i am also, but this habit gave me an advantage of being ready.

I am very thankful of the training that I have received from my CCW instructors; it may have saved my life last night.

2. Remove Ads

First let me say that I am glad everything worked out for you. You did call the police to report it didn't you? The last thing you want is to get a knock on your door because someone saw your gun and got your tag number. Also, next time you are at the range, practice point shooting with the light on. I have done this and the POI is dead center in the middle of the beam. In a defensive situation, you can just shoot where the light is.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

1) You're alive
    2) Nobody got hurt

Glad everything turned out ok. +1 on being prepared.

your awareness of your surroundings paid off, and could have saved you from being shot or held at gunpoint. +1 good job. Another real example of crooks asking a seemingly innocent question first to scope out their targets.

only things that came to mind were
    -calling police after? which i'm assuming you did.
    -and most cars are equipped with horns. (depends on the situation if it would have helped though) e.g. pedestrians run out of your way into other traffic: not good

Lead Moderator
    As has been mentioned, you didn't say that you reported the attempt to the Police. Hope you did!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

First of all...glad you're OK!

I believe after watching the dirtbag's approach and then his threat...2 COM comes to mind...that would have eliminated the threat...his buddies would then have probably not wanted to ride by...OMO...YMV!

Someone comes to my car window with a gun and demanding money...thinking time is OVER....he could just as easily pulled his weapon and started shooting instead of asking for anything!

As others have already mentioned...make a police report NOW!

Stay armed......stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post

I believe after watching the dirtbag's approach and then his threat...2 COM comes to mind...that would have eliminated the threat...his buddies would then have probably not wanted to ride by...OMO...YMV!

Not to second guess the situation, but I tend to agree......

This dirtbag is still on the streets, still armed, still a dirtbag, and now.....just a little more cautious and potentially a little more aggressive.

Glad it worked out, but it'd be nice if this knucklehead were in the hospital wing of the nearest prison.......or decomposing.

I called 911 as soon as i was in a safe location. A report was filed. I do not know if they ever caught them though.

Got to say that you showed much more restraint than I think I would have. If he had lifted his shirt and I was positive that what I was seeing was a gun, and he had just made the comment about my money, I'm reasonably sure that I would have fired. Given how quickly things could have progressed from that point, I would no doubt have been in fear of my life and would have taken defensive measures at that point. It's always easy to Monday morning Quarterback and I'm really glad that everything worked out for you this time, but it could have turned sour extremely fast either from the BG at your door or from the whole carload of BGuys when they pulled up next to you.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

He showed it, was reaching for it, I was in fear for our lives, I shot to stop.
    One less threat on the streets. Retroactive birth control.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

In Texas he would of been a big white chalk outline on the ground
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

When i put my gun up to the window he almost instantly turned and ran. I would have probably shot if he made a hard move to his weapon. My major concern was that it was 2am and the streets were active with innocent people leaving the bar.

I guess for me i don't want to shoot because i can legally, I want to because i have no other choice.

The thoughts of living with the consequences both legally and morally of taking somebody's life are almost as scary as the actual incident last night. I don't take this privilege of carrying lightly at all. pulling the trigger, is in my mind, the ultimate last resort.

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jp4240 View Post
    When i put my gun up to the window he almost instantly turned and ran. I would have probably shot if he made a hard move to his weapon. My major concern was that it was 2am and the streets were active with innocent people leaving the bar.

I guess for me i don't want to shoot because i can legally, I want to because i have no other choice.

The thoughts of living with the consequences both legally and morally of taking somebody's life are almost as scary as the actual incident last night. I don't take this privilege of carrying lightly at all. pulling the trigger, is in my mind, the ultimate last resort.

You did good! Glad it worked out for you. This thread will probably grow to 8 pages of people saying I would have done this or that. The truth is no one knows exactly what they will do until they are in that situtation.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragin Cajun View Post
    The truth is no one knows exactly what they will do until they are in that situtation.
    QFT! I think that every time I read a story here.

Glad it all turned out ok for the OP.
    Glock G19 - Generation 2 (our first)
    Glock G26 - Generation 3
    Glock G21 - Generation 3 (Bought 8/2010)
    Taurus PT709 Slim - mostly used as a bug (Sold 8/2010, did not like the quality after owning it for a few months)

Quote Originally Posted by jp4240 View Post

Wow. Glad it turned out alright. And I agree with your thinking here. You only had that split second there like you said, even though you shooting may have been justified when he showed his gun, taking a life and dealing with all the related consequences should make that a last resort. All in all, good job!

Makes me rethink not having some sort of light now..... Not that my Kahr can take one, but at least have one handy to use.

Also, when you first saw them park and the guy start to approach would you have been able to drive away from that spot or were you blocked in at that point as well?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links