Late night hair raiser

This is a discussion on Late night hair raiser within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; First, I posted this on my homestate site, so some of you may have read this already. Also, I was summarily grilled for not immediately ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Late night hair raiser

Late night hair raiser

First, I posted this on my homestate site, so some of you may have read this already. Also, I was summarily grilled for not immediately arming myself. Wanted to post here though, and get some feedback from the rest of the group. Without further a-do:

Last Thursday night at around 2:00 am my wife and I receive a phone call from our neighbor across from us (apartment so her door is directly across ~8ft away). She told us that someone was knocking at her door and would we look out the peephole and see if we recognized them. I went to the door and looked out and could not identify the individual; however, I made note of physical characteristics and clothing. He knocked one or two more times and then walked down the steps. I proceeded to our patio door to look see where he where he went or identify his vehicle if there was one. He walked around outside for a few moments back and forth and then started looking up towards her patio door, I presume to attempt to see inside (I should note our apartments are on the 2nd floor). My initial reaction is that he is looking for someone else's apartment, and went to the wrong one. After trying to see inside for some time, and then walking back and forth a few times he comes back and continues to knock and linger for 1-2 minutes. Walks down the steps, and goes out of my view until I notice headlights turn on, he backs out, and proceeds to pull away (at which time I note, make, model, plate number, and a distinguishing characteristic of the car. To wrap up what is turning into a longer story than necessary, he comes back and knocks again; however, this time he starts turning the handle and attempts to get into the apartment. My wife stays on the phone with the neighbor, who at this point becomes a little hysterical, and my wife phones the police. I continue to watch him as he walks down the steps and looks into the patio again. I see the police enter the complex, but they turn and come to the front side of the building (instead of the back where we and he are located). He immediately gets into his car and leaves. The police arrive, we answer a few questions and give them some information, and then go back to bed (sort of).

Now for some afterthoughts. At no time during the ordeal did I arm myself. I know some of you may take issue with that, yet throughout the ordeal I did not perceive any threat directed towards us. He was focused on her apartment alone, and never once looked at, or appeared to show interest in any other apartment. To be honest, until he attempted to enter her apartment I was under the impression he had the wrong place (albeit 2 am on a Thursday is an odd time for someone to be showing up to anyone's door). This is not to say that I had not ran throught scenarios in my mind and what I would do next if he turned toward our door, but he never did or even looked as if he would consider it. In hindsight I would have grabbed my pistol, heck I probably should have grabbed the shottie, and if it ever happens again I will.

On a high note, the wife has begun asking a lot of questions regarding personal defense, methods of carry (for ladies), and about smaller guns. Her and I will probably be heading down to the range in the next few days, so she can familiarize herself with shooting. Then hopefully in the not to distant future, we will be paying Mr. Smith a visit . All this from a gal who when we got married 1 1/2 years ago was vehemently opposed to guns, then that night said, "I'm glad we have a gun". Funny how perspectives can change. I love that gal!

2. Remove Ads

I would have had my gun with me(not necessarily because of the situation, but just because I pretty much always do if I am awake), but I'd say you guys did all the right things...you didn't open the door. You got a good description. Your neighbor did not open her door. The frustrated 'whatever he was' left.

Sounds pretty textbook to me. I'd say having a gun with you should not have changed how the situation was handled whatsoever. But if things would have gotten bad, you wouldn't want to have to call a timeout so you can get a defensive tool.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

The best part is now your wife is getting interested in self -preservation.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Kudos to you and your neighbor for knowing each other well enough for her to have your number and to call you like this. If more neighbors had this kind of relationship, it would make for stronger communities (like they used to be) and less crime in general. Well done.

Thank you for sharing.
    This is another real life lesson we can employ in training scenarios!
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

Kerbouchard: You are correct, I should have armed myself. As I discussed with someone else, at first the situation seemed benign. Just someone knocking at the door, and the neighbor wanted to know if we recognized him (maybe a friend of someone else in the complex who just got the wrong door).

Deadeye: Yes, the best part (other than the outcome being good) is that the wife has taken a bit of an interest. I plan on starting her out with a .22 so she can focus on safety, shooting, and on mechanics without having to worry about recoil. Then slowly more her up until she has reached her comfort zone. Heck by the time my stimulus check from the "gummint" gets here we may have her converted hook, line, and sinker .

Quote Originally Posted by barracudamagoo View Post
    our neighbor across from us (apartment so her door is directly across ~8ft away).
    Just somehting to consider... If you are standing at your door watching through your peephole, you are in your neighbor's line of fire (projectiles fired from a firearm tend to penetrate several layers of wood, drywall, etc). If she opens fire at someone breaching through her door, the projectiles she fires may go through her door/the criminal/your door and impact whomever is standing in front of the general vicinity of your apartment's door.

Stay clear of things that are soft cover (apartment door made of wood, plaster/wood wall, furniture, etc) and look for hard cover instead (cement/brick/thick wood [like 12"+] wall, etc.) when you are faced with the situations you mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Vtxdpm View Post
    Kudos to you and your neighbor for knowing each other well enough for her to have your number and to call you like this. If more neighbors had this kind of relationship, it would make for stronger communities (like they used to be) and less crime in general. Well done.

+1

You handled this smoothly and calmly....without getting "gung-ho". Great job!

Are you folks going to talk to your neighbor abt possibly arming herself? Maybe your wife and her and do a Girls out on the range thing...
    "Brains before Bullets"

Administrator
    So...did you ever find out who the guy was and what he wanted? Just curious.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Cagueits: This is an excellent observation, and one I never thought of. I will have to remember this if the situation would ever arise again.

Dr. Lewall: No, I will most likely not bring this up with the neighbor. While she is friendly, she has some issues which makes me hesitant to discuss the topic with her.

QKShooter: No, we have no idea who the person is. The individual could have had innocent, or malicious intent. As I alluded to in my response to Dr. Lewall, there may be more to this story than she is telling. Either way, the situation turned out okay, and that guy has not been back.

Putting myself in your shoes, I would have done the same thing.

The knock at her door is not your problem. Whoever it was, whatever their intent, is not your problem until it becomes your problem (READ - they switch their focus to you).

Unless you are very close to your neighbor, the question "Do you recognize him?" was by far one of the dumber ones to ask. "How the should I know who it is visiting you/who you associate with?" would have been my initial response.

Even if the guy had kicked in the neighbors door, it is still a very risky proposition to get involved (justified and legal in most states - defending another from severe injury, kidnapping or death). Might have been an Ex or something of the sort, which for some odd reason, the victim has a tendency to suddenly jump to their defense when someone intervenes on their behalf, even though there life was in jeopardy.

I see no fault in your actions. No grilling needed.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

I would have done the same thing. Good goin, with getting a description of the guy and the car...but anything at 2 am requires a firearm. Having lived in many apartment complexes, I have had this happen before. Encourge the wife to really get into self defense. My wife has been been looking for a pistol and also attended a self defense class at the local YMCA.
    God Bless America!!

Minimum involvment was called for and that's what you did. If you don't have a dog in that fight its almost ALWAYS better to stay on the sidelines and just be a good witness.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Bouquett View Post
    Minimum involvment was called for and that's what you did. If you don't have a dog in that fight its almost ALWAYS better to stay on the sidelines and just be a good witness.
    +1 on that. Not much more to add...

You did fine, but resist doing much more than what you did for someone you don't really know. I don't think you did anything wrong... just be hesitant to much more if situation like that happens again.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links