Do you REALLY trust your instincts???

This is a discussion on Do you REALLY trust your instincts??? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was having a discussion with a friend of mine who is a LEO and we were talking about instincts. You know...that weird feeling that ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you REALLY trust your instincts???

Do you REALLY trust your instincts???

I was having a discussion with a friend of mine who is a LEO and we were talking about instincts. You know...that weird feeling that something just isn't right or that someone looks kind of strange.

We were discussing how well we really TRUST our instincts. As we talked some stories came out about guys we both know that ended up on the losing end of violence - not fatal thank goodness - but in 3 of those cases the guys involved made the same basic comment. "I knew something wasn't right BUT I told myself I was wrong." This isn't exactly what was said but you get the idea.

This morning I thought about a situation the other day when I saw a guy walking down our street. While there wasn't anything obvious like a sign over his head saying "I am looking for trouble." something just didn't "feel" right. I see people walking on our street all the time...but why did I feel THIS way about THIS guy?

He was clean cut and well groomed and didn't exhibit anything that made him look suspicious from a visual perspective at least nothing I detected on the conscious level. Still...something just felt wrong.

He walked past and I watched him still trying to figure out what it was about him. My wife came home and I told her about this guy. She then described him to a tee and asked if what she described was him. I told her yes. She then told me that last week she was at the store and came outside to come home and the police had the guy we were talking about handcuffed outside and up against the police car.

She saw someone she knew standing watching and asked what was going on. It seems this guy had approached a woman as she was going to her car and asked for a ride. When she refused he grabbed for her keys, missed and then grabbed her. She stomped on his foot, screamed and ran back into the store. The women called the police and when they arrived the guy was hiding in the bushes around the side of the store.

I asked her how she knew I had seen him in our neighborhood and she said he had been walking around here for a month or so and she had the same feeling that I did when she had seen him and then she seeing him being arrested she knew who he was.

Of course I am wondering - what the heck is he doing still walking around? Still no idea.

My questions...

How good have your instincts been in detecting trouble?

Do you REALLY listen to your instincts or do you find yourself dismissing them?

Would you act on your instincts alone with no other information - not to shoot if course - but do something very different than you would have otherwise?
    Last edited by Scott; June 29th, 2008 at 08:43 PM. Reason: profanity edit
    "It ain't all the things we don't know that causes all the trouble. It's all the things we do know that ain't so!"
    Kimber Tactical Pro II
    Glock 26
    Colt Model 70 (1976 Mfg.)
    Tucker Gunleather "Work of Art" (Soon)

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Yes "spidey sense" is real. Use it. Lots of times this topic comes up on here. I liked this thread http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...t=spidey+sense
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

It may not 'walk' like a duck, but it may 'smell' like a duck...in either case...be aware...

Stay armed...make preparations for 'duck' soup...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I'm suspicious of everything and everyone. Maybe that means I'm going by my instincts most of the time. They may not always be right on and past experience usually plays a role in the decision whether or not to dismiss the alert or follow through on it and gather more information. Everyone is different, but we all should allow our instincts an open door policy and it's not often they come knocking with trivial issues.

I learned to follow mine, based on some times when I didn't. I came to the conclusion... our subconscious is picking up on something that our conscious hasn't yet pinpointed. I follow mine, and it has been literally a live-saver several times. So, if I get that feeling.. I pay attention to it.

I saw a guy park a car on our street, and it didn't "feel right" ... something wrong about it. He then began walking down the street. What ?? Who parks a car and then walks off down the street ?

I called the police with the tag #... nope , not a stolen car. ..... until they called me about 15-20 minutes later and told me it "was just NOW reported stolen". Showed them where the car was... and where the guy was..... bad day for him.

or, when I just thought 2 guys standing on a corner just didn't seem to "fit" or "feel right". As I'm watching them while sitting in my car at a red light (I intentionally sat thru 2 light changes), I see them go into a place to rob it..... a call soon had the police on the way.... lol.... and they were both arrested as they walked out the door.

Your sub-conscious picks up on a lot of things that you are never aware of 'consciously'. This can sometimes be related to you as an instinctive duck, a flinch, or a funny feeling.

When you are driving and turn a corner, you do not get out a calculator and determine angle of approach, velocity, rate of turn, change in velocity, overall dimensions of your vehicle, etc...and yet somehow you can still make the turn.

For a computer to make that turn, all of those and more need to be steadily calculated, readjusted, and recalculated and more often than not, it still can't make the turn...so why is it that with no calculations and little or no conscious thought you can negotiate that turn perfectly?

Because your sub-conscious can do so much more than your conscious thought will ever be able to. Ignore it's recommendations at your own risk.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    In a word, YES.
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

Yes. I try to follow these four rules:

18. Watch their hands. Hands kill. In God we trust. Everyone else, keep your hands where I can see them.
    19. Decide to be aggressive ENOUGH, quickly ENOUGH.
    21. Be polite. Be professional. But, have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
    22. Be courteous to everyone, friendly to no one.

I might seem standoff-ish to some strangers, downright cold to others, but that's Ok with me.
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

I trust mine, at work and on the street.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

A bit long but it addresses the subject well:

Amazon.com: The Gift of Fear: Gavin De Becker: Books
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

I never gave this a whole lot of thought until I was once told that if you approach a sentry from behind to take him out via K-Bar, you should never stare directly at him or he will sense that you are there. Sounded kinda hokey to me at the time.

Since then, I have randomly stared at people from across crowded rooms, etc. and I can say that a lot of times a total stranger will turn their head from what they are looking at and thinking about, and will look directly at you when you do this. It's weird. It's some kind of sixth sense I guess. People seem to be able to sense when they are being stared at sometimes and it gives them that uncomfortable feeling, I think.

A buddy of mine was sleeping one night and said he woke up because something just didn't "feel right". When he opened his eyes his nutbag wife had a pistol aimed at his head and was getting ready to shoot him. Needless to say they are now divorced. So there seems to be someting to this stuff.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Deju Vu, or that funny feeling that you have forgotten something and later you remembered what it was.. I try now to stop when I get that feeling and quickly tick off what my plan was. I know this isn't the same as subconsciously detecting trouble about to happen. But when the hairs involuntarily stand up on the back of your neck, don't ignore them.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

Ever watch the animal channel. Some type of animal is standing around and all of a sudden one takes off, no visable reason all of a sudden they all bolt. Then the lion ot tiger comes out from the brush. People and even the animals have this sense and should always be heard and followed.

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by matiki View Post
    A bit long but it addresses the subject well:

Amazon.com: The Gift of Fear: Gavin De Becker: Books
    Excellent book to read.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

the longer you work with developing your "spider senses" the better you should get. Part of it is living in condition yellow, not white. You start looking at people...really looking at people.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links