Just came home to an unlocked house...

This is a discussion on Just came home to an unlocked house... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well that was a little scary. I live in a medium sized city in NW PA (Erie to be exact) and just came home to ...

Thread: Just came home to an unlocked house...

Well that was a little scary. I live in a medium sized city in NW PA (Erie to be exact) and just came home to find the back door wide open. I live with my brother and a friend as roommates; my brother is out of town for the weekend and our friend's car wasn't in the driveway. After a few seconds of staring at the open door and trying to think of a legitimate reason for it to be that way, I realized that such a reason didn't exist and I'd better do something about it. Thankfully I did take my weapon along today (a Kel-Tec P11 in a CTAC holster riding on a Liger belt), so I drew and loudly yelled into the house, asking if anyone was there. No one answered, so I went room to room with weapon drawn looking for anything unusual. Thankfully no one was here and nothing seems to have been disturbed, so I think my roommate just left the door open (highly unusual for him). So now I need to have a talk with him about the importance of security and I'm currently EXTREMELY glad that I decided to carry today. I've had this pistol for about four months now and have hardly carried it since I didn't have a good holster or belt. The Liger belt I ordered came in yesterday and seems to be working out well, so I don't intend to leave home without it again. Just goes to show how you don't need to be going to a dangerous area to need a weapon.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

Just remember clearing a house is something that can be dangerous. I can do it, but unless you've been trained I'd just call the Police and let them deal with it.
    Dave

“The highest obligation and privilege of citizenship is that of bearing arms”. General George Patton—US Army

Vis et Veneratio

"So this is how democracy dies: to thunderous applause." Actress Natalie Portman as Padme in Star Wars Revenge of the Sith

Assistant Administrator
    Yes, this house clearance deal is to be taken very seriously - tho here glad anyways you had no goblins!!

What concerns me is with clearance - the goblin or goblins have a huge tactical advantage - they just could, having heard you enter - lay in wait in a good concealement area, cover even - and cap your butt on first sight - quicker probably than you'd react.

Something to think about for future - meantime see who left door open and give them a verbal thrashing
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lead Moderator
    I would clear a house as a last option. Better to peeer in windows and such to check for BG's. Unless I have a trusted friend who has practiced room clearing with me.

Lead Moderator
    Yea, the police would have been the safe way to go. By yelling into the house you gave anyone inside time to possibally set something "nasty" up.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Chris, you bet.

My girlfriend's housemate heard a bump at night and took her pistol and "swept the house". When I heard that I went through the roof. I told her to go into my GF's room lock the door and call the police on the phone.

She said I was crazy. So I put her through a little test. I told her to do exactly what she did that night. Guess what happened. I "shot" 10 times out of 10, and I didn't even have a pistol. Gee, guess where I got it from.

She then understood why I said call the police.

People watch the movies on TV and think they can do it, if only it was that easy.
    Dave

“The highest obligation and privilege of citizenship is that of bearing arms”. General George Patton—US Army

Vis et Veneratio

"So this is how democracy dies: to thunderous applause." Actress Natalie Portman as Padme in Star Wars Revenge of the Sith

Yes, call the police...a) they are trained B) you may be on shakey legal ground if you have to use your weapon since you are going on the offense and in many areas you are only supposed to be clearly defensive and C) you are clearly at a tacticle disadvantage.

Don't be afraid of calling the police...that's what they get paid for!

...and don't forget to thank them!

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    I have seen several threads here and elsewhere about coming home and finding the door unlocked or open, then debating about clearing your house or calling the police to do it.

One thing that never seems to get mentioned is all those times when you come home and find the door you are entering to be locked as usual. The possibility still exists that an intruder could be there, having entered through another access point. Obviously you can't call the police every time you return home. Do you simply assume everything is OK and stroll in feeling cozy, maybe with a grocery bag in each hand? Circle the exterior of the house to observe all doors and windows before entering?

Well i cheat i have a alarm so if the phone hasnt rung to tell me it went off more than likely its ok..

Also i can see all main doors to see them only 2 windown some one could get in i can also see before i ever get to a main entry door

Assistant Administrator
    Do you simply assume everything is OK and stroll in feeling cozy, maybe with a grocery bag in each hand? Circle the exterior of the house to observe all doors and windows before entering?
    My answer to that is, anytime I enter the house (locked or unlocked) even if returning to it from office down the yard - I am in usual yellow and will all but assume there could be something amiss, even knowing my wife or kids are there.

I guess it is my old ''don't assume'', that makes me other than presumtuous. Most non carry folks would probably consider me totally paranoid!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I don't think that clearing the house on your own was the best decision that you could have made. If you would have incountered a BG or worse BG's what would you have done then? if you shoot you are looking for legal trouble if you don't shoot you are looking to be shot, stabed or overpowered. I don't recommend you doing this even if you were a LEO without back up and help unless you were caught in the situation and had no choice. In Missouri doing something like this is a No, No, for sure. You cannot go looking for trouble, a CCW permit is ment to be used in the event you are caught between a rock and a hard spot and you have no other choice but to defend yourself.

I'm sorry but I cannot commend you for what you did in clearing your house, after coming upon this you should have retreated, called the police, and waited somewhere in a safe but close defense position still able to view the house for possible suspect ID. Just because you have a CCW does not give you LE powers to do as you wish.

Ti.
    Last edited by Ti Carry; November 13th, 2005 at 04:48 PM.

Update: It turns out that the perpetrator was my roommate's friend. Several of them came over the night before to play video games and watch movies. They're good kids but very immature. My roommate had to work Saturday morning and left before they were up. They left later and didn't lock the door behind them for whatever reason. Needless to say, they will never be allowed in this house unsupervised again. Valuable lesson learned.

To those of you who posted considerate, well-reasoned responses, thank you. I appreciate your advice and upon consideration, entering the house alone wasn't a great idea. I've got a lot left to learn.

To Ti-Carry; chill out. I never asked for your 'commendation', all I did was relate my experience and my response to it. As for my "LE powers"; this is still the United States right? I have every right to enter my own house, with or without a weapon. It may not have been the smartest thing I've ever done, but it was in no way illegal or wrong. If I had been forced to defend myself in my own home it would have been a justified shoot. The hypothetical invader would have been the one looking for troubly by entering my house and then attacking me. You may want to consider using a bit more tact when giving advice.

If anyone wishes to discuss this further, feel free to contact me via PM or e-mail. I have no desire to get into a public ******* contest over something so trivial. Thank you again for your observations and advice.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

1952 - 2006
    While I don't recommend that anyone do a house clearing, I have done it on several occasions. However let me also say that I have had a considerable amount of training in how to do so.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner
    Needless to say, they will never be allowed in this house unsupervised again. Valuable lesson learned.
    I learned that same lesson. My 35-year old niece, her husband, and 2-year old daughter were visiting. Both my wife and I went to work early on the day the visitors were to leave. I had showed them how to lock the door between the kitchen and garage and how to remotely close the garage door.

So of course, I come home around 15:30 and find the garage door wide open and the kitchen door unlocked. Almost died of apoplexy on the spot! Turned out nothing bad happened. The lame excuse was the visitors were messing around getting the daughter strapped in and drove away around 9:00 or 10:00 without noticing the door was wide open.

My wife and I swore a mutual oath (after I swore several other things) to never trust anyone else with locking the house.
    Last edited by Anubis; November 15th, 2005 at 09:39 PM.

Just a note of caution. When my niece was living in our house, she had friends over to visit. I always keep the froint door locked, we always use the back to enter. before going to bed I checked the front door it was unlocked, I asked my niece, she said she didn't unlock it and no one used the front door.

2 days later someone kicked in the back door and stole the stereo,custom knives and jewerly. They must have been a little upset to find the front locked again. 2 weeks later a couple of my nieces friends were caught breaking into another house.

My point is friends of other residents of a house just may set you up.

Sponsored Links