Driveway Holdup (An Armed Citizen Scenario)

This is a discussion on Driveway Holdup (An Armed Citizen Scenario) within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; When I design stages for IDPA matches, I like to use real life incidents as the basis for the scenarios. The Armed Citizen column in ...

Thread: Driveway Holdup (An Armed Citizen Scenario)

When I design stages for IDPA matches, I like to use real life incidents as the basis for the scenarios. The Armed Citizen column in the NRA Journals is a good source for incidents.

Even if you don't shoot competitively, I think setting up scenarios for your personal practice is a good thing to do periodically, if you have access to a place to shoot them. Shooting a scenario is a lot different than just placing a target downrange and shooting away at it.

I wouldn't use a real car for this one, just some kind of barrier to give you a feel for the distances and positions.

Designer: Claude Werner, cwerner1@bellsouth.net
    Scoring Method: Vickers
    Rounds: 8 (minimum)
    Target Distances: 3 –5 yards
    Target Description: 2 Standard IDPA targets, 1 non-threat, partially obscuring T1.
    Starting Position: Shooter facing downrange, standing by driver door of car (low barricade) with hands at sides, weapon holstered.
    Start and Stop Signal: Start is standard Beep; Stop is last round fired
    Scenario - Troy and Marie Mathis arrived at their Forrest City, Ark., home one night and stepped from their car directly into a life-or-death scenario. According to police, two masked men appeared in the driveway, and one pointed a gun at Marie Mathis' head in a robbery attempt. Troy Mathis fought back, pulling his own pistol from a pocket and firing once. The masked gunman then shot back. When the smoke cleared, the accomplice was gone and Mathis was wounded. The gunman didn't fare as well. He expired a short time later in a nearby vehicle. Reports indicated he had a lengthy criminal record that included robberies, burglaries and weapons charges. (Times-Herald, Forrest City, Ark., 12/22/99)*
    Procedure:
    String 1 - On signal, draw pistol and engage T1 and T2, with two rounds each, in any order.
    String 2 – Repeat String 1, strong hand only.
    Attached Images

Links