Rack the slide? - Page 2

Rack the slide?

This is a discussion on Rack the slide? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Nope. No need to let them know you are aware of their presence until you are in an advantageous position. Urban tactics rely on speed, ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Rack the slide?

Nope. No need to let them know you are aware of their presence until you are in an advantageous position. Urban tactics rely on speed, surprise and violence of action, and pumping the shotgun takes away one of those at least.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    I don't know a) how many intruders are in the house; b) where they are; c) whether or not they are armed. Silence is golden until it's time to let loose. My HD shotty is in the same condition due to circumstances. I would have to rack before firing, which is reason enough to have my 1911 chambered and ready (with said shotty very close by).
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

No way would I rack the slide. Am i supposed to catch the round that just flew out and stuff it back in ?! Silence is golden.

Although, if I had positive ID on a target, and it was one of the kids sneaking in that lat, I'd probably rack it just to soil their shorts.

Quote Originally Posted by Gelicious View Post
    From my stand point. Racking the slide is a good idea. If you had to defend yourself in court after a shooting situation, it would be nice to be able to say I verbally instructed the intruder to leave and I racked my shotgun to let him know that I meant it. Not that you really need to do any of those in your own home, it just looks better to a jury.
    So do you rack the slide on your pistol or slam the cylinder shut on your revolver just because it will look good to a jury?My shotgun has 1 in the chamber and a full magazine, I am not giving away my position or the fact I am armed to an Intruder,BTW I live in Texas and if you break in my house and I shoot you It won't even make it past a grand jury
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

No racking slide, no warning.
    "I no longer list firearms I own as a signature. Why give them another list to use when they come to get them?"

Probably not.

I can think of circumstances where I might, but they're pretty far-fetched.

i/e all individuals in home secured, ID on target who does not have weapon in hand and appears unarmed and is not aware of my presence.

Though I might have the legal right to blow away some unarmed meth head in my home, I do not personally feel morally justified in so doing. Call me a softie, but I'm not going to kill an unarmed man who poses no bodily threat to myself or others. If he does have a gun or, as is most likely, I'm not 100% certain and don't feel like I have time to verify before being in a worse position, I'm shooting. But, again, if I've somehow managed to discover that he's not armed, I'd probably rack while on target and tell him to get lost.

Shred away.
    "War necessarily brings with it some virtues, and great and heroic virtues too. What horrid creatures we men are, that we cannot be virtuous without murdering one another?" -John Adams

I have an alarm system in the house with a "panic buttons" that make a lot of noise and calls the police at the same time. If this (and the dogs) do not scare off the intruder, I would rack the shotgun and be prepared for a possible confrontation. I have no children in the house, so my main concern is protecting my wife.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Distinguished Member
    No racking my HD shot-gun, because I have the shells loaded in a specific order. First shells are of the variety that would not overpenetrate sheet-rock, last shells are for stopping a vehicle if needed.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

IMHO, it's foolish to ever give up any tactical advantage you might have.

Racking the slide tells the BG your relative position and capability. Not gonna happen in my house......

Quote Originally Posted by Shizzlemah View Post
    Although, if I had positive ID on a target, and it was one of the kids sneaking in that lat, I'd probably rack it just to soil their shorts.
    I gotta remember that one for later!

I say don't rack it, it should be chambered already. I disagree with what many people say, the sound of a shotgun racking will make them run. It has been proven time and time again that BG these days simply don't care. In that case, no warning.

I read a sig line on some forum (may have been this one) which said, "If someone is in my house uninvited they are not there for the lemonade."
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Why take the chance of a malfuntion occuring while racking a round? The only warning they need after the alarm and dog is the flash of my taclight before the boomstick lets go.
    CCWINNC

HK P2000 .40SW
    Para Ord Tac 4 .45acp
    XD 9 Service
    XD 9 SC
    Taurus 651 .357 mag

Snarling dogs would drown out any other sound except gunfire.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

VIP Member
    The fact that you asked that question demonstrates that you are a "good guy" and really don't want to unnecessarily harm another individual.

Unfortunately, the person who would enter your locked home has demonstrated that they are a "bad guy" and willing to inflict harm and possibly even death to you or anyone else in that residence without regard.

So, to answer your question... NO, no warning "rack"!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

My defensive weapons are kept in Condition One. I don't see any good reason to keep in a less than ready state. Why load less than a full load in your weapon? It's possible you might need that round.

The old cliche of the sound of the slide terrifying the bad guy into bugging out is an urban legend that just might get you killed. To see if the bad guy is one who can be scared off, you can always try a loud "I've got a [fill in the blank] pointed at your [fill in the blank]! Get outta here!"
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    The fact that you asked that question demonstrates that you are a "good guy" and really don't want to unnecessarily harm another individual.
    No. Not really. I just read in all of the "I want a shotgun" threads how some people think the slide rack is a useful deterrent.

If the scenario played in my house I would consider myself to be in a fight for my life the moment I heard glass breaking.
    There would be no warning, no verbal commands, and no second chances.
    I would endeavor to stop the bad guy in the most effective and efficient manner possible.
    A second intruder would receive warning that I'm armed when his accomplice was effectively stopped.
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links