Rack the slide? - Page 3

Rack the slide?

This is a discussion on Rack the slide? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Depends. Do I hope to scare them away or am I supposed to want to shoot them?...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Rack the slide?

Depends. Do I hope to scare them away or am I supposed to want to shoot them?
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

I would rack the slide, right after the first shot.

Administrator
    The intruder had fair warning when he decided to cross a threshold other than his own, he isn't going to get another from me.
    It isn't because I'm waiting to do some secret squirrel ninja stuff so I can shoot someone, thats the last thing I want to do in my home. (new carpet is expensive!)
    If he happens to hear my shotgun being cycled (at that point its probably to late any way) but thats simply a cost of doing business. if he takes that as a "warning" and scoots thats just a side effect of me being armed, the same as death being a side effect of breaking into someones home. My intention is to not kill anyone, its to stop the threat and danger. If its stopped by lead or a sound, it doesn't matter. What matters is the threat was stopped.

I think the whole notion of "Racking a shotgun will get them quaking in their boots" is just plain silly, meat headed gun counter talk.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Any thing like 'racking' etc only gives away your position... that's real smart... tha's the sort of stuff that works in the movies and the good guy almost always wins in the movies.

In real life, instead of being "scared off" the home invader (may even be more than one, and armed and in different areas) may open fire before they leave... you think they will give much thought into taking your life?
    http://www.bloombergfightbackfund.com/
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

If they are too stupid to heed all the warnings they received for decades growing up that entering other peoples homes uninvited is both immoral and dangerous. Than racking the slide is a waste. They obviously need more than a warning to get the message

Quote Originally Posted by Gelicious View Post
    If you had to defend yourself in court after a shooting situation
    What is there to defend. The invader is inside my home does not get any clearer than that. That definitely is not a reason to risk getting my family killed because I warned a psychopath.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Limited personal experience:

I have approached 2 individuals with a shotgun. Both saw me first and I was in uniform.

One was checking out cars in a dimly lit car lot at 2 a.m., the other was walking through a dimly lit construction site with his buddy out of sight.

The first subject was determined to be somewhat dim witted, and a resident of a local half-way house. The second subject (and his buddy) turned out to be simply using a shortcut. He did not immediately recognize my uniform.

Upon hearing the shotgun rack, the first subject jumped and spun around like a cat, then took off running like his tail was on fire. The second subject achieved instant sobriety, threw his hands in the air, and called his buddy out, "Earl, Earl, git out here...they got PUMP SHOTGUNS!"
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

I can always rack the shotgun and let him know I have a shotgun that way he can wait til iI leave break in my house and ambush and kill me when I come home ,or go down the street break in somebody elses house and kill them.If you wanta do a home invasion when It's real apparent the residence is occupied there is a very good chance the perp is armed,also while you got your gun and eyes focused on perp#1 you better hope there ain't a perp#2 in the process of shooting you.Trieing to play the moral high ground can get you killed
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by Shizzlemah View Post
    ....Although, if I had positive ID on a target, and it was one of the kids sneaking in that lat, I'd probably rack it just to soil their shorts.
    Dude, that's just cruel!
    Jack

2 teen/young men (unsure) were in my neighbors back yard one night last year and I saw them and called 911...They proceeded to try to remove the window screen. i stepped out of my garage and racked my shotgun...actually pumping a live shell out and reloading another ...for effect. They heard that and ran like rabbits diving over the fence and basically heading for safer grounds. I did not want to hurt anyone, but the sound sure got the desired effect. :) The cops laughed and said they probably won't be back any time soon...He was glad I didn't shoot them.
    USMC 1984-1992
    To err is human.
    To forgive is divine.
    Neither of which is Marine Corps policy.

"It's all about shot placement."- David (Slayer of Goliath)

Quote Originally Posted by billfromtx View Post
    2 teen/young men (unsure) were in my neighbors back yard one night last year and I saw them and called 911...

They heard that and ran like rabbits diving over the fence and basically heading for safer grounds.
    Well, in that situation it is just funny to do. But in your own home at night, not so much. Sure wish you had video taped it, would probably be fun to watch over and over.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

No need to rack the slide for me... I always have one in the chamber.

Just my 2 cents and not wanting to offend anyone but...

If you are relying on scaring someone away or hoping to scare someone with the sound of racking your shotgun slide in the hope it may keep you from having to shoot someone, you are really letting your own life hang in the balance.

Bottom line is this... You are seriously giving up a measure tactical advantage by doing so!

Any time you consciously give up any tactical advantage that you may have over a bad guy, you are foolish in the extreme. Some will even say that is quite stupid, and at worst, it can easily cost you your life!

Having the thought that "I have advantage over the bad guy because I know the layout of my house and he don't" is really not much a tactical advantage during a home invasion or burglary while you are home sleeping.

Someone who breaks in at 2 am is going to be wide awake, wired tight like an 8 day clock and possessing cat-like reflexes. He is going to be prepared for an encounter and will be ready for anything. Quite likely, he will be high on drugs or intoxicated with liquid courage. If he is also armed or has others with him, it gets worse from there.

You on the other hand, who are awaken from a sound sleep are going to be groggy, possibly disoriented for a few moments or longer, afraid and quite possibly giving away the fact that you have been woken up whether you wanted to let them know that or not.

Don't worry about being honest with me or other members of the forum... Be honest with yourself. How often do you actually train for such encounters? Do you just run possible scenario's through your head, or do you actually train for such events.

You may certainly be in your own home, and possess knowledge of knowing the layout of your home, but that doesn't necessarily mean you are not already at a disadvantage.

Then you want to give up more tactical advantage by pinpointing your location with the sound of racking the slide of your shotgun? Even letting the bad guy know that you are awake and armed, if he doesn't already know that?

Thinking that racking the slide on your weapon is going to look better in the eyes of the jury is really has very little if any merit. That act alone is not going to convince a jury that you did not want to shoot someone if the prosecutor is trying to take them down that road to begin with.

JMO, YMMV
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

2 teen/young men
    young men? Sounds more like a pair of jackles maybe rapists in training. Already a pair of imoral thieving maggots

2 teen/young men (unsure) were in my neighbors back yard one night last year and I saw them and called 911...They proceeded to try to remove the window screen. i stepped out of my garage and racked my shotgun...actually pumping a live shell out and reloading another ...for effect. They heard that and ran like rabbits diving over the fence and basically heading for safer grounds. I did not want to hurt anyone, but the sound sure got the desired effect. :) The cops laughed and said they probably won't be back any time soon...He was glad I didn't shoot them.
    Seems to me it would have been a whole lot funnier and much more socially responsible to have watched them pee their pants with your shotgun stuck to the side of their head until the police got there to take them to jail. Instead they have a story to brag about and a rational to carry guns when they are breaking into others home. Maybe someone's elderly grandma who will stroke out with intruders on her home and pointing a gun at her. At the least traumatized because her sanctuary and home has been violated. Personally I don't see anything funny. Guns are not for intimidation. There is nothing funny about willingly letting criminals go to victimize others. Consider that next time you read about some family getting killed during a burglary gone wrong. Maybe it could be your so called young men determined not to be laughed at again or maybe they learned to carry a gun because a home owner almost blew them away the last time robbed a place
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Quote Originally Posted by LongRider View Post
    young men? Sounds more like a pair of jackles maybe rapists in training. Already a pair of imoral thieving maggots

Seems to me it would have been a whole lot funnier and much more socially responsible to have watched them pee their pants with your shotgun stuck to the side of their head until the police got there to take them to jail. Instead they have a story to brag about and a rational to carry guns when they are breaking into others home. Maybe someone's elderly grandma who will stroke out with intruders on her home and pointing a gun at her. At the least traumatized because her sanctuary and home has been violated. Personally I don't see anything funny. Guns are not for intimidation. There is nothing funny about willingly letting criminals go to victimize others. Consider that next time you read about some family getting killed during a burglary gone wrong. Maybe it could be your so called young men determined not to be laughed at again or maybe they learned to carry a gun because a home owner almost blew them away the last time robbed a place
    Maybe they learned their lessons and both will turn into youth counselors, or maybe they got hit by a truck running home, or maybe they will grow wings and fly...or get abducted by aliens...
    The problem was stopped, no one got injured or killed...
    Maybe if I lived in a ghetto, or big nasty city my actions would have been different. There has never been a homocide in my little town and folks, although willing and ready to protect themselves and property, , don't automatically expect blood thirsty killers to be knocking down your door.
    I like the diverstiy of views and the differences of opinions...Its what teaches and educates. You can "MAYBE and what if" anything to the point of being rediculous... when they come to yours or your neighbors house you can holler freeze, and point guns at them, play LEO or shoot them all you want...
    You were not there, you know nothing of it...
    It was funny...
    USMC 1984-1992
    To err is human.
    To forgive is divine.
    Neither of which is Marine Corps policy.

"It's all about shot placement."- David (Slayer of Goliath)

Maybe they learned their lessons and both will turn into youth counselors, or maybe they got hit by a truck running home, or maybe they will grow wings and fly...or get abducted by aliens...
    The problem was stopped, no one got injured or killed...
    Maybe if I lived in a ghetto, or big nasty city my actions would have been different. There has never been a homocide in my little town and folks, although willing and ready to protect themselves and property, , don't automatically expect blood thirsty killers to be knocking down your door.
    I like the diverstiy of views and the differences of opinions...Its what teaches and educates. You can "MAYBE and what if" anything to the point of being rediculous... when they come to yours or your neighbors house you can holler freeze, and point guns at them, play LEO or shoot them all you want...
    You were not there, you know nothing of it...
    It was funny...
    It's much more probable that those guys updated their "hardware" from crow bar to guns and became more weary about their next target and area, than to become good law obeying citizens... just look on those who get caught and jailed...most of them just go right back into their old ways... it's a shame people get hurt and killed by these same street scum who should have never been given the chance to become a career criminal... just this week they caught a local guy who was one of the perps (who had been arrested at lest 16 times!) who almost killed an entire family in a botched home invasion, the victim had 3 kids and she had her face beaten in so badly that her face and eye lids were swollen and she could not see... luckily she escaped but if she did not, she and her kids would have been killed for sure because the perps had NO INTENTION in living a living witness.

I read one news report where the guy made noises from the window on the 2nd floor (probably to distract them) as he watched his car being stolen... what happened next? The thugs blow his face off with a handgun from outside even though the victim was not armed.

Some times I feel too many people here under estimate these gangbanging type "kids" etc... Believe me when I tell you, that many of these "kids" have shot at someone before, got involved in shootouts over drugs and gang conflicts etc... and if getting shot at or shooting at someone is nothing new to them, I doubt them hearing a slide racked or safety clicked off is going to make them pee their pants if they had their trigger finger well at the ready, knowing where you are, and having their thug friends help... I saw several videos where multiple armed thugs got shoot at initially and THEY DID NOT RETREAT... what does this tell you? In one case, the 2 gangbangers only retreated AFTER they ran out of ammo, and in the other case, the 3 armed thugs only retreated after the victim shot at them several times (not one time, but SEVERAL times.)

Criminals mainly have the important advantage of the element of surprise... and sadly I have personally known several people that were killed in ambushes when they arrived home from work... and in one instance, the perps even KNEW their victim was armed but they targeted him so as to steal his revolver... knowing he was armed never made them "pee their pants" because all they had to do was sit in the bushes next to the drive way, late at night, and wait til their target arrived home (on time as usual).
    http://www.bloombergfightbackfund.com/
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links