Rack the slide?

This is a discussion on Rack the slide? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After hours, uninvited guests will not hear any sound except one associated with a bright flash....

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Rack the slide?

After hours, uninvited guests will not hear any sound except one associated with a bright flash.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

2. Remove Ads

IMHO if the BG has made it close enough to you or your loved ones to hear the rack you have already failed. The reason not to have one in the chamber is to give you time to access the percieved threat, clear your head of the fog of sleep, make a conscious decision followed by a major movement of your muscles that solidifies in your head what your next step is going to be. Most night time accidents (I have read) are caused by grabbing the gun when you not really awake...even still asleep. Someone sleep walking will not make that major of a movement of racking a gun, but they will pick one up a pull a trigger. My 45 is chambered in my waistband not my night stand. BTW for 200 bucks you can get one of those motion detecting alarms that if the window breaking doesn't wake you the 100 decibel siren will.

Maintain silence... I have two side by side shottys in the cabniet off the foot of my bed and they're a pretty silent load. Mammy gets one I get the other. Mum rounds up the kids while I cover the stairs. Then we retreat to the BR block the door and call 911 and wait. Anyone other than the PD trys to get through that door they're a gonner.
    In God we trust, everyone else keep your hands where I can see them.

Rights are like muscles: If you don't excersise them they slowly disappear.

IMO maintain the tactical advantage of silence until you lose it, then go dynamic.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

VIP Member
    If someone is in my house, there will be no warning. Why warn someone? They're in YOUR house. Maybe their momma should have warned them not to go into strangers houses, they might die.

I doesn't seem to make sense to me why anyone is worried about the jury. If you rack the slide and he leaves you've accomplished what you wanted to do but I agree it puts you at a disadvantage. How is the jury going to know you racked the slide. Because you tell them. If the BG says he never heard anything, wouldn't it seem likely the advantage would go to the GG's word.

Everyone seems to know the sound of the shotgun rack--many times I quelled the problem just racking the weapon.
    Besides when would you rack it, in the bedroom? before or after you hear something? a charged gun could yeild problems to the family (little hands).
    If you rack-it (charge it) up stairs when you need it they will probaly still hear it.
    This is one of those dam if you do/dam if you don't, type thoughts.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by 588 View Post
    Everyone seems to know the sound of the shotgun rack--many times I quelled the problem just racking the weapon.
    Besides when would you rack it, in the bedroom? before or after you hear something? a charged gun could yeild problems to the family (little hands).
    If you rack-it (charge it) up stairs when you need it they will probaly still hear it.
    This is one of those dam if you do/dam if you don't, type thoughts.
    No, not really... you can also do a tactical reload. No need to make a lot of noise to do that.
    "Just blame Sixto"

This is a classic case of weighing the pros v's cons. Like so many other things this goes back to the OODA loop for me. If I stay in the room, then he has to come to me. I can guarantee that I can find and will be behind some cover when and if he enters the room. Also he has to process a lot of information upon entering the room. Oh yea he also has to try the door handle, note that it is locked, make a decision and then kick it in. I believe that this would give me enough of an advantage that I could afford to wait until entry is attempted.

If I need to move through the house then I would absolutely rack the slide before moving through the house. Waiting until you see the suspect before racking the slide so that you scare him is dangerous in my way of thinking. I'm sure that if he hasn't noticed you then, yes it would scare the crap out of him. However so would simply yelling, "Don't move or your dead!" Believe me, if he didn't know you were around, that would scare him as much as anything. I've scared people like this before. In that instant the guy dropped his 1911 without even a conscious thought. It saved his life and possibly mine two. Of core it took me throwing him to his knees and then kicking him in the head before he completely complied, but at least he had dropped the gun. But that's a different story.

I understand the argument that you want to go stealth for as long as possible before announcing your presence, but I think this is the wrong way to look at it. Consider two things. One, if you wait, you are literally betting everything on the idea that he doesn't know you are in the house. So if he noticed you by some other means, such as your foot steps, a shadow, your dog getting up and walking towards you, or whatever, then he now has the drop on you, and your gun isn't even loaded! Two, if he is breaking into your house, wouldn't it be reasonable to assume that he already suspects that somebody is in the house?

I don't know guys, just a few of my random thoughts. There is no one way to do things.

Administrator
    LOL, you just got to learn how to run the shotgun properly, and both problems are solved, and you have the best of both options!
    "Just blame Sixto"

Which operation technique am I over looking?

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by JudoJake View Post
    Which operation technique am I over looking?
    The tactical reload.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I have an 870 that I used to keep loaded with one in the chamber. However, I recently discovered that this is not safe. Enough force to the butt can fire the round. Now I keep the tube full and chamber empty. So I will have to rack the slide.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Administrator
    I wish I could put up a video, I'd show you guys how to go from cruiser ready to combat ready in less than a second and not make hardly any noise.

But, we do have youtube...

Heres a guy doing it right, but in a active shoot situation;

YouTube - T.I.G.E.R. Valley combat shotgun reload

Here, in this video this kid is a little sloppy and noisy, but you'll get the idea;

YouTube - Combat Reload

And here's how it looks full speed (don't try this at home kids)

YouTube - Shotgun Tricks....

Just slow yourself down a little bit, and leave the "Barney" shell on the gate until your ready to go. Leave the action open, or quietly close it, there is no need to slam the bolt home prior to the first shot.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Ok it's 3 am and you wake to hear a window breaking downstairs and you are sure you have an intruder. Do you give the intruder the "slide" warning by racking your shotgun loudly hoping to deter him? Or do you maintain the tactical advantage of silence and not give up your position?
    Discuss.

I can't believe I missed this thread and that I'm so late in replying.

Anytime you can avoid having to shoot someone is a big plus in my book. Rack the "slide" and take a position of cover. If the intruder hears your actions and flees, good for you. If the intruder hears your actions and attacks you are better prepared by already having a round chambered and hopefully you have "topped off" your weapon, thus giving you a "full load +1."

Biker

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links