Rack the slide?

This is a discussion on Rack the slide? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In my case it wouldnt matter, the dog would be going nuts and I would hope they wouldnt be stupid enuff to stick around inside ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Rack the slide?

In my case it wouldnt matter, the dog would be going nuts and I would hope they wouldnt be stupid enuff to stick around inside the house , but if they did stick around they would get shot.
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

2. Remove Ads

When you pull that gun out without using it and displaying it can be called [B]banishing a weapon[/B] in some states if the two punks go to the police first and claim that you threatened them for no reason. Its a good thing you called 911. This has happened before. The law is very unfair sometimes. You would think the cops would believe the homeowner in a case like this. I had a case like this where a drunk was trying to kick my front door in and I walked out the side door with a gun in hand. The drunk ran back to his waiting buddies in the car and took off. Since I didn't call 911 first or after it happened I put myself in a bad situation if the punks decided to call the law on me.

Administrator
    The wisdom of Tom G has spoken.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    In an effort to keep JD off my back I deleted the scathing post I just wrote. In its stead I will say two things:

1. Sixto you are a very witty man.

2. "That" wisdom speaks volumes.
    Last edited by atctimmy; July 12th, 2008 at 10:35 AM.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

I obviously understand what a combat reload is. However I don't see how it directly relates to this thread. I always combat load my first round, if I want the gun fully loaded, then tactically load the rest. However I thought we were talking about the gun being loaded in a Patrol Ready, where all the shells are already loaded in the magazine tube with none in the pipe? Did I miss something?

No. Mine is loaded. The only warning a BG gets is a private property sign, a fence, a locked/deadbolted door, and 80lbs Lab. If he/they make it past the last two, its GAME ON.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by billfromtx View Post
    You were not there, you know nothing of it...
    It was funny...
    If I am to believe your original post that was what I was commenting on. So, I do know two thieves are running loose, when they could have been stopped. I have seen bone heads beat feet so all you see is elbows and butts when given a reality check and yes it was funny. So I don't dispute that at all.

I live in the sticks twenty miles from the nearest town. Lots of psychos in rural areas. The Hillside Strangler was busted in a rural area. Rural areas are becoming a hot bed for meth production. Meth makes normal people, especially teenagers psychotic. Meth heads burglarize, kind of their crime of choice. When someone violates our home we all have a right to respond as we see fit, within the law. I acknowledge you were well within your rights to let them go. We should also be willing to accept the consequences of our actions or non actions, unpleasant or not, unintended or not. Did not intend to condemn you just point out a fact, two thieves who could have been apprehended where given a chance to re offend unimpeded elsewhere when they could have been stopped or at least made accountable for their actions. Sadly it is a given someone else will pay the consequences for them be let go. At least I have never heard of scum bags stop stealing because the got way with trying to steal

My opinion is that we have a moral obligation to not think of just our selves and need to consider how our actions effect others, and when possible try to be service to others. You of course are free to disagree with me it is after all only my opinion
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by JudoJake View Post
    I obviously understand what a combat reload is. However I don't see how it directly relates to this thread. I always combat load my first round, if I want the gun fully loaded, then tactically load the rest. However I thought we were talking about the gun being loaded in a Patrol Ready, where all the shells are already loaded in the magazine tube with none in the pipe? Did I miss something?
    I don't know if you missed it or not, but the point I'm trying to make is that the combat reload can not only be used full speed when empty, but you can also use it to put the first shot in the chamber if you do it slowly and methodically. It can also be done very quietly if the situation calls for that too.
    The bolt doesn't need to go all they way to the rear for the trigger to reset, and the round only drops onto the gate when the bolt is fully to the rear.
    "Just blame Sixto"

For my 2 cents, I'd rather be up and all my stuff ready to go to work. I wouldn't want to start messing with my equipment right when things were heating up and I wouldn't want to tip my hand early on. I also live in TX and here we can defend our property as well as ourselves.
    ...one jagged hole!

I under stand that you can pull the bolt back part way and then drop an extra round into the chamber. For instance if you were loaded with buckshot, and wanted to drop a slug in. But this method requires more fine motor skills then I would prefer to use in such a situation as that.

Administrator
    I under stand that you can pull the bolt back part way and then drop an extra round into the chamber. For instance if you were loaded with buckshot, and wanted to drop a slug in. But this method requires more fine motor skills then I would prefer to use in such a situation as that.
    Yes, it does require fine motor skills but if you have time to worry about trying to scare someone, you have time for a combat reload. Muscle memory is key.
    Remember that this entire thread is about racking to scare, in my opinion, scaring is a side effect of getting down to business. My bringing up the combat reload is just an option if silence is a must in the given situation.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I'm not trying to be critical SIXTO, because I do really respect your opinion on these matters. However I still don't see how the combat reload applies here. The very name COMBAT implies that it is used when you are already engaged. If we are assuming that the shotgun is completely empty to start with and that there is nonthing in the magazine tube, then I agree combat load the first round and tactically load the rest. If the magazine tube is already full with none in the pipe, then I think pulling the bolt back part way and inserting around is a poor option.

Administrator
    I'm not trying to be critical SIXTO, because I do really respect your opinion on these matters. However I still don't see how the combat reload applies here. The very name COMBAT implies that it is used when you are already engaged. If we are assuming that the shotgun is completely empty to start with and that there is nonthing in the magazine tube, then I agree combat load the first round and tactically load the rest. If the magazine tube is already full with none in the pipe, then I think pulling the bolt back part way and inserting around is a poor option.
    Its not if silence is a must.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Ok. So your not really suggesting the use of a Combat Reload, but you are recommending a form of loading one in the pipe without disrupting the ones in the magazine tube. Sort of like a selective loading technique, or a bullet type change, such as birdshot to slug?

For instance if you had the weapon fully loaded(tube and pipe) with buckshot, but wanted to put a slug in the pipe. You could pull the pump back part way, far enough to extract the buckshot in the pipe and load a slug into the pipe without disrupting the shells in the magazine tube. I don't mind this method. It would work if you have practiced, but it is easy to screw up if you are under duress.

The other method I was taught on how to do this was to pull the slide all the way to the rear, eject the one in the pipe, dump the one that pooped out of the magazine tube, so you are -2 rounds, then combat load one round. If time allowed another slug could be tactically loaded into the tube. This is more practical when you are trying to do it under more duress.

Administrator
    Ok. So your not really suggesting the use of a Combat Reload, but you are recommending a form of loading one in the pipe without disrupting the ones in the magazine tube. Sort of like a selective loading technique, or a bullet type change, such as birdshot to slug?

For instance if you had the weapon fully loaded(tube and pipe) with buckshot, but wanted to put a slug in the pipe. You could pull the pump back part way, far enough to extract the buckshot in the pipe and load a slug into the pipe without disrupting the shells in the magazine tube. I don't mind this method. It would work if you have practiced, but it is easy to screw up if you are under duress.

The other method I was taught on how to do this was to pull the slide all the way to the rear, eject the one in the pipe, dump the one that pooped out of the magazine tube, so you are -2 rounds, then combat load one round. If time allowed another slug could be tactically loaded into the tube. This is more practical when you are trying to do it under more duress.
    Yeah, thats pretty much what I'm saying... I used the combat reload as an example, because you are doing the same thing, just slower and quite.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links