Drive Thru Fun

This is a discussion on Drive Thru Fun within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well for starters, I first visited this website on accident. I grew up on guns since the age of 6 but most of my guns ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drive Thru Fun

Drive Thru Fun

Well for starters, I first visited this website on accident. I grew up on guns since the age of 6 but most of my guns were rifles and shotguns. Since I have been reading pretty much everything posted on this site, I have grown an interest in concealed carry and reasons why I should. This reason became more apparent on the night of July 3rd.

I decided to meet my girlfriend on campus after she got out of class to go grab some dinner. We really didn't want anything big so we just went to the Taco Bell down the street from the school. As I am pulling into the parking lot of Taco Bell, I see a group of about 10 or so young black males in the parking lot. I had my window down at the time and heard one of them say "Don't worry about it, it isn't loaded". As soon as I heard this, I told my girlfriend to put her window up and lock her door. I then decided to just pull around the back of the store so I could just leave and as I was doing this, 5 more people walked out of the woods with their shirts off hollering at the group of people in the parking lot. At this time I said screw this and high tailed it out of there. If they want to kill each other, go for it but my life and my girlfriend's life are worth way more than that.

So we left and went somewhere else to eat and talked a little about what happened. I took her back to her car, followed her out of the parking lot as it was 11pm and then made my way home. I passed this Taco Bell on the ride home and noticed that it was pretty much shut down and there were 4 cops cars in the parking lot. I just said to myself I am glad I left when I did. The following day there was something on the evening news about it and then in Saturdays paper there was an article about what happened but it really didn't say a whole lot.

So hopefully this Saturday I am going to take my Concealed Carry class that I have been delaying for the better part of two months and then I will submit my application into the Sheriffs Dept. Anybody here have any suggestions for what I should be prepared for for this course? Sorry for the long post but I just thought here would be a good place to talk about this. Here is the article from our local paper
    News: Shooting at Jacksonville Taco Bell | houston, suspect, jacksonville : Jacksonville Daily News
    Springfield 1911A1, Ruger GP100 .357 mag, Glock 17, Ruger Vaquero .44 mag

2. Remove Ads

I think I ate at that taco bell on libo from SOI once,

Anyways, sounds like getting out of there was a good idea. Guy must of been wearing a big coat to conceal a shotty. (Isn't it awfully warm there now?)

I'd stop putting off the class and get your license, how would have you felt had you stayed and didn't have it?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    Haven't read the article yet. Just wondering who won, shirts or skins?

Yeah if you have ever been to Jacksonville, you know that summers are 90+ degrees with 90%+ humidity. I called the range earlier and the class starts Saturday morning at 9am and all I need is my pistol and 40 rounds so I will head out there then. I wouldn't have felt safe at all if I had stayed just because of the amount of people and hearing somebody say "don't worry it's not loaded".

Good situational awareness Many people would not have even noticed the group, much less the guy talking about it "not being loaded". Great job, and remember to keep that awareness that you have. Chances are that it is more important than the weapon that you are applying to carry. You can't defend yourself against a threat you are not aware exists. Stay safe man.
    EVIL PREVAILS WHEN GOOD MEN FAIL TO ACT.

An extremely good move on your part. We must always be aware of what is happening around us. Remember, your best weapon is your brain.

Safe and sane shooting everyone,

johnstuf

I guess I picked up on it from my dad, but whenever I go anywhere with a lot of people I am always scanning the crowd and looking for people who just stand out to me. Same thing applies to when I am in a restaurant, I usually sit in the corner with my back to the wall because I have always had this thing where I HATE people that stand behind me while I am sitting down or standing in a line. If I am in a line at the store, I will usually stand sideways so that my back is to the magazine/candy rack in the checkout lane. Don't know what it is but it irritates me more than anything else and I like to know what is going on behind me.

But yeah it was just really odd to see that many people in the parking lot at once and then when I heard the guy talking about the gun not being loaded, I was like "Time to get the **** out of here!"But like I said before, I already reserved a spot for the Saturday morning class and will go to the SO in the morning to pick up my application. Guess I have to get a concealable holster for the 1911 now and start to wear it around the house to get used to it.

Well handled! 'Getting your butt out of there' is one of the most valuable tactics known.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

At least he didn't say "It's loaded"

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Good job! You did well. Jax has turned into a very ugly place for a lot of reasons. Stay safe, enjoy your class and watch your 6!
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Well, looks like somebody needed to worry, cause it sure was loaded!
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

To your question on being prepared for the course, there is probably not much wisdom-wise you can do beyond reading here. Beyond Saturday, read up on your state laws, talk to an attorney if needed, and get a few books. I have found that books cover one topic in more a more organized and detailed manner the here. Thank God I had a Gun (C. Bird), Concealed Handgun Manual (C. Bird), and Gravest Extreme (M. Ayoob), are good primers.
    H@H

Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan; by way of St. Mayberry, GA
    Quote Originally Posted by luvmyglock View Post
    Good situational awareness Many people would not have even noticed the group, much less the guy talking about it "not being loaded". Great job, and remember to keep that awareness that you have. Chances are that it is more important than the weapon that you are applying to carry. You can't defend yourself against a threat you are not aware exists. Stay safe man.
    +100!!

The one weapon you ALWAYS keep with you and loaded is carried between your ears! Bravo Zulu!

Is your girlfriend taking the class with you Saterday?
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

I have been reading up on state laws for some time and I will probably look into the books that were mentioned. I haven't told my girlfriend yet because I don't know how she will react seeing how we have only been dating for about a month. She knows that I go shooting pretty much every weekend and has shown some interest in wanting to go with me. When the time comes I will ease into it but I just want to get it before I tell her.

Sounds like you're already a sheepdog, by your description of your situational awareness...all that's left is to get your teeth.

Good decision on your part. Have you shared your decision with your lady? How does she feel about the whole thing?

Glad you didn't go 5 minutes earlier for your Chalupa...it would be sad to die without eating it. I LOVE TACO BELL...I am not ashamed.
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links