Drunk/Doped up drivers and pulling over after accident?

This is a discussion on Drunk/Doped up drivers and pulling over after accident? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Not long ago today I saw some clown swerving in and out of lanes behind me, and in a matter of seconds the fool almost ...

Thread: Drunk/Doped up drivers and pulling over after accident?

Not long ago today I saw some clown swerving in and out of lanes behind me, and in a matter of seconds the fool almost hit me in the rear end and the side 2 times! Right after I saw the guy closing on me, I basically was preparing myself for an accident and from the looks of his driving, I would make an intelligent guess that the man was on drugs or drunk... what if he had hit you if you were in this same situation and you suspected the driver was drugged/drunk, what would you do?

What entered my mind was to call 911 and NOT STOP on the side of the high way unless the car was badly damaged and can not be safely driven, but rather to drive to some place where there are a lot of witnesses... lucky, they did not hit me because I slightly veered off to the side and the moron took the next ramp right down that road... if I ever had the opportunity to catch his tags, I would have reported him as a possible drunk driver who was a danger to everyone else.

2 Years ago I had a similar experience while it was raining heavily... someone swerving in and out of lanes going 60mph despite the heavy rains and bad road conditions where everyone was 20mph slower than that... guess what happened to the driver? I decided to go into the lain FURTHEST for him/her and not even a minute after I did that, I looked into the rare mirror to see the driver lose control, slamming to a LARGE cargo truck... the truck's wheel literally TORE THE CAR IN HALF and the front of the car slammed into the driver in the next lane, imagine that scene out of Matrix Reloaded where cars were flipping and piling up, that's what it was like except I am TOTALLY CERTAIN no one survived in that car which was serving... if that person had driven like a sensible person, they would have been alive.
    http://www.bloombergfightbackfund.com/
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

If i am armed, I'll stop as soon as possible. If the doper comes up to my closed window and locked door and tries to gain access to my vehicle, he will be receiving a very stern warning to "back away from the door and return to his vehicle and wait for the police". If he continues to attempt to gain access to my vehicle using forceful methods such as hitting the window, he will be seeing the business end of the G33 very quickly. If that doesn't turn him around we have real problems (well at least he does).
    EVIL PREVAILS WHEN GOOD MEN FAIL TO ACT.

i ALWAYS REPORT IMPAIRED DRIVERS AND i WILL FOLLOW THEM UNTIL i CAN GET A TAG NUMBER OR POLICE CAR TO STOP THEM,I don't want to be the guy that just ignores them because it ain't my problem and see on the news where he killed somebody down the road.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

When I see such a person, I make darn sure he isn't going to hit me, even if it means getting off the road and into the barrow pit. Then I call 911. The cops can't be everywhere at once checking for drunk/stoned drivers. Be a good guy and help them save a life.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

This story just came to a legal end today. It started very much like the OP, with an off-duty out-of-uniform first-year cop who chased a suspected DUI, attempted to stop him numerous times, never showed his badge, radioed but did not wait for uniformed backup, and finally ended up shooting an active NFL player.

The player, Steve Foley from the San Diego Chargers, got a misdemeanor DUI, five years probation, is permanently disabled, lost his NFL career and future coaching ability. The cop is back on duty and the city of Coronado is $5.5M poorer.

And, for the record, this shooting in Sept 2006 garnered a lot of support for the cop on this forum. While I respect the concept of standing behind law enforcement, this was a case where the support came far too blindly. Personally, I think that everyone lost, a lot. Only the cop appears to have gotten off lightly, though I think any chance of ever improving his pay grade is fantasy. But considering his actions and history, that he even kept his job is a miracle.

SignOnSanDiego.com > News > Metro -- Foley to get $5.5 million

I would recommend NOT LEAVING the scene of an accident just because you feel you were hit by a drunk driver unless there is an absolute compelling reason to do so. It is a crime to leave the scene of an accident!

I won't go into all the compelling reasons where you might feel the need to leave and go to a safe place, but on it's surface, just because you feel the guy who hit you is a drunk driver I don't think will carry much weight with the average State Trooper or LEO.

Having a CCW permit and a firearm with you should provide a level of comfort which would allow you to remain on scene and not break the law by fleeing the scene.

Obviously if the guy who hits you is enraged and approaches you in a threatening manner or with a weapon, then you now have a compelling reason to possibly drive off and go to a safe place in order to wait for the police as opposed to possibly being forced to shoot the enraged and threatening driver.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    i ALWAYS REPORT IMPAIRED DRIVERS AND i WILL FOLLOW THEM UNTIL i CAN GET A TAG NUMBER OR POLICE CAR TO STOP THEM,I don't want to be the guy that just ignores them because it ain't my problem and see on the news where he killed somebody down the road.
    That's me. Our local PD probably has me on speeddial.LOL
    And if it's just a jerk I'll stop the bastage myself and call in the cops.
    One group of teens passed us the other day with my kids in the car.
    I look over and the guys are holding up hand drawn pics of wankers to the windows.
    I blew up, pulled them over and had an officer out there. When we were finished one kid was crying.

Pisses me off the rate of hooliganism and lack of respect for kids now-a-days. When I was a teen we'd get a scare like that from just riding our bikes after dark. We knew right from wrong or we figured it out pretty quick.
    [I]They make a desert and call it peace - Calgacus
    We're all just a bunch of Right Wing Racist Republican Homophobes - Rush L.

Don't play cop.Use some common sense and try to avoid getting hit.Call 911 and report the driver and follow from a distance if you feel safe doing so.To assume that the driver is drunk or high is a rookie cop mistake. The driver probably is in fact drunk or high, but may also be a diabetic or have a severe medical condition.Chuck.

If I had a quarter for every bad driver I have dialed a 911 on.... well long story short always get pertinent information and call it in before they kill someone.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Quote Originally Posted by Superman View Post
    That's me. Our local PD probably has me on speeddial.LOL
    And if it's just a jerk I'll stop the bastage myself and call in the cops.
    One group of teens passed us the other day with my kids in the car.
    I look over and the guys are holding up hand drawn pics of wankers to the windows.
    I blew up, pulled them over and had an officer out there. When we were finished one kid was crying.

Pisses me off the rate of hooliganism and lack of respect for kids now-a-days. When I was a teen we'd get a scare like that from just riding our bikes after dark. We knew right from wrong or we figured it out pretty quick.
    I certainly don't mean to be an dork here, but how did you pull them over? are you LEO? Do you have emergency lighting? Something seems a little odd about your "pulling people over and waiting for the police"...
    Last edited by Scott; August 14th, 2008 at 11:04 PM. Reason: profanity
    EVIL PREVAILS WHEN GOOD MEN FAIL TO ACT.

Sponsored Links