Law Enforcement Vehicle Encounter. - Page 2

Law Enforcement Vehicle Encounter.

This is a discussion on Law Enforcement Vehicle Encounter. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Seems to be that you may have gotten a hold of a police officer on a bad day......

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Law Enforcement Vehicle Encounter.

Seems to be that you may have gotten a hold of a police officer on a bad day...
    EVIL PREVAILS WHEN GOOD MEN FAIL TO ACT.

The Registration was revoked because of a mishap that occured while changing insurances. I Went to the DMV the next day, got it all figured out with the state. Then got my truck back the day after that. Then I had to go to court. But still got a small fine.

lol Thats exactly what happened. except my license wasn't revoked with it. just registration

Quote Originally Posted by Sejune View Post
    The revocation could be due to a lapse of insurance. I know that in South Carolina if you have a lapse in insurance coverage you have to submit a special form stating the dates of lapse and proof of coverage. If you don't send it in within a specific time-frame they will revoke your license and your registration...even if you have coverage and fixed the problem...until you send that paperwork in, you are at risk of revocation.

Just thought I'd throw that possibility out there.
    Best policy: Don't resist or tell the police they're wrong. File a written complaint later.

Are you sure about that? Non-verbal communications come through loud and clear and most officers are very skilled at discerning them. You seem to regard your abilities in that area as excellent.

As far as I can tell I did everything to make it easy and comfortable for the officer. the last thing I would want to do is upset an officer that I have to deal with at the time. Maybe I did something he didn't like. I don't know.

I don't want to argue with law either but when it comes to some bonehead cop that dosn't know the law and try to confiscate my gun i'm going to be arguing. and there's no law against that. free speech. he may be upset with me but i don't care, the laws the law. can't arrest you for sticking up for yourself.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by wormhole33 View Post
    I don't want to argue with law either but when it comes to some bonehead cop that dosn't know the law and try to confiscate my gun i'm going to be arguing. and there's no law against that. free speech.
    Yeah there is, and thats not what "free speech" is. Bonehead or not, I can promise you it wont help your cause by arguing street side. You can be right as rain, but it in the long run, you are far better off to do things the proper way and avoid yourself a lot more hassle than you are already in for.

But, you do want you want, advice given on the internet is worth what you pay for it.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Thanks everyone. Hopefully there wont be another encounter like this. But if so I'll handle it better.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacon08 View Post
    Thanks everyone. Hopefully there wont be another encounter like this. But if so I'll handle it better.
    I did think you handled it OK, there is always room to improve no matter the subject though.
    "Just blame Sixto"

yeah i'll just let him take my gun when i know he can't and shine his shoes for him too. Bacon08 said after the cop wanted to confiscate his weapon he said he got fired up and and said there was no way your taking my gun.. that kinda sounds like arguing to me. and well he got his gun back.

And i'm not saying throw a temper tantrum there's humane arguing. i've never had to argue with a cop before but they didn't try to violate my rights either. if i know i'm in the wrong then you won't hear a word out of me.

Quick question for any LEO's or well informed members, would it have been wise to ask to speak with a supervisor? At the point where he tried to confiscate my weapon my immediate inclination would be to involve a supervisor. Do PD's have any policies on citizens requesting to speak with supervisors, are there any obligations or could he have told you to take a hike?

I would like to hear from a LEO what they suggest for your average citizen to do here...

In resonse to Moe SiZlack. ABSOLUTELY! You could ask the officers to call a supervisor to the scene. If the officers refused then I would try to be calm during the rest of your encounter. Then I would go down to the police department and talk to the watch commander.
    In my department if a citizen requests a supervisor we will call one to the scene. If one is not available at the time then we direct them to the station to talk to the on duty watch commander.

ahhh.... revoked because of insurance SNAFU... That's a real bummer! Good thing your DL was valid!

Hey, I try and cut LEO's all kinds of slack. Tough job, low pay, and I personally know several LEO's who because of the low pay, have a lot on their minds regarding private issues.

Sure I love professional behavior, who doesn't but I am not going to argue with an LEO during a traffic stop. I'll plead my case if appropriate to do so and he provides and opportunity, but It is futile to sit there and argue with them at the side of the road.

Cop wants to disarm me, and do it himself rather than have me unholster... He has that right! Is is smart? I don't think so, but he has that right. I am not going to like it, but unless he shoots me with my own gun, I won't hassle him either.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Moe Sizlack View Post
    Quick question for any LEO's or well informed members, would it have been wise to ask to speak with a supervisor? At the point where he tried to confiscate my weapon my immediate inclination would be to involve a supervisor. Do PD's have any policies on citizens requesting to speak with supervisors, are there any obligations or could he have told you to take a hike?

I would like to hear from a LEO what they suggest for your average citizen to do here...
    Yes, you can request a supervisor to come out, but you may or may not get one depending on a lot of factors. You just might be dealing with the highest ranking officer on at the time, or the sky might be falling elsewhere in the city.
    One common misconception is that a citizen asking for a supervisor is like calling time out... it isn't. You still will be disarmed etc.
    "Just blame Sixto"

In my state, LEOs can disarm you at any time during a stop but your gun must be returned to you at the end of the encounter.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Hey, I try and cut LEO's all kinds of slack. Tough job, low pay, and I personally know several LEO's who because of the low pay, have a lot on their minds regarding private issues.
    I just wanted to point something out, because this is a pet peeve of mine;
    Low LEO pay is a regional thing. In Bark'n's area, low pay might be the norm, but in other areas, LEO's are paid very well. I sought a job out in the geographic area that I am in because we do get paid very well, and the cost of living is low.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by Moe Sizlack View Post

In my old department you could ask for a supervisor, and depending on workload you might get one. You could ask to speak to the duty commander, but more than likely that would get you a corporal or a sergeant first. If we had something going on in that district where they are tied up you would probably get the officers business card and the phone number to internal affairs and their office hours.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Sixto... you'd puke if you heard what LEO pay around here is! Sad, very sad...

And you're right... for example around Kansas City, and St. Louis... Starting pay is somewhere close to $38K
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links