Law Enforcement Vehicle Encounter.

This is a discussion on Law Enforcement Vehicle Encounter. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; About a month ago I was driving home from work. I had pulled over on the side of the road to make a phone call ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Law Enforcement Vehicle Encounter.

Law Enforcement Vehicle Encounter.

About a month ago I was driving home from work. I had pulled over on the side of the road to make a phone call to my boss to discuss some situations at one of the clients homes. While I was sitting there. A Leo and his partner pulled up behind me and stopped for a second. Turned on his lights and his siren for about 4 minutes. They procede to get out (after finaly turning off the siren.) Each walk up to opposite side doors of my truck. I lower the windo down. Keep my hands on my stearing wheel. The officer tells me he is pulling me over for a revoked registration. (which I had no idea about). I told him I was a ccw. And had a weapon under my seat. This totally freaks him out (facial features.) He asks me to not make any sudden movements as he places his hand on his gun, Opens my door steps back and asks me to walk to the back of my truck with his partner. I give his partner my DL and my permit. The other officer takes my gun out and puts it in a lock box in his cruizer. He then calls dispatch. See's if I have an warrents, and whatever else he does. Comes back out and says they have to tow my truck (because of revoked registration.) His partner tells me I need to take anything out of my truck that I absolutly needed. I start doing so. And the officer that took my gun freaked out again because he wanted to search the truck to see if I had anything in there, and he didn't want me to be able to take my tools. After slightly arguing they let me get my tools out. Then the officer tells me he is confiscating my weapon. That fires me up a little. And I tell him there is no way he is keeping my weapon. Again he puts his hand on his service weapon, gives me an mean glare and tells me he is. Having 4 close relatives that are police officers, and My Father and my Uncle being CCW instructors I know for a fact he can't take it without a crime being commited with it. So his partner takes him back. they look it up in the book. Low and behold he can't keep it. So they unload it. give it back to me. And wait in there car for half an hour until my ride shows up to get me.

The one leo seemed pretty new to being a cop. I wouldn't doubt it was his first day.

Should I have done anything different? Obviously I was upset about my truck getting towed. But I didn't let them know it. I was respectful. Used "Yes Sir" "No Sir".

2. Remove Ads

I am a bit confused... Why was your vehicle registration Revoked? I can understand getting a ticket for an Expired registration and that alone shouldn't be a towable offense, but how did the registration get Revoked?
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I don't understand how if you are parked and they pull up behind you why they would need to turn on their siren for 4 minutes
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I don't see how any of it happened since they didn't witness you operating the vehicle on a public roadway.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    I don't see how any of it happened since they didn't witness you operating the vehicle on a public roadway.
    It's like a DUI...if they find you sleeping in the vehicle and subsequently determine you are drunk...they can connect the dots that you had to drive the vehicle to get to where you stopped.

It is my experience (may not be the same all over) that a supervisor/instructor will ride shotgun with a newbie on probation. This maybe such a case.

I guess the question you need to ask yourself (or someone) is why was the registration revoked?

Rick

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    but it was parked on the roadway, and the violation was one about registration and not a moving violation so they are good there.

Running the siren for 4 minutes? Are you sure they didnt just hit it for 4 seconds to announce their presence?
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by bandit383 View Post
    It's like a DUI...if they find you sleeping in the vehicle and subsequently determine you are drunk...they can connect the dots that you had to drive the vehicle to get to where you stopped.

It is my experience (may not be the same all over) that a supervisor/instructor will ride shotgun with a newbie on probation. This maybe such a case.

I guess the question you need to ask yourself (or someone) is why was the registration revoked?

Rick
    I'd be asking if this guy is qualified to be training anybody if they tried to confiscate his handgun and only when confronted pulled out the statutes and looked it up
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

An FTO and a probie? Wonder which officer was which?

As for your actions it sounds like you handled yourself the way you should have.

Pulled over to talk on the phone
    Informed LEO you were carrying, or transporting under you seat ITC
    Obeyed all commands
    And defended you rights, to a positive end, without escalating the situation unnecessarily
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I'd be asking if this guy is qualified to be training anybody if they tried to confiscate his handgun and only when confronted pulled out the statutes and looked it up
    Hummm...perhaps he was showing the probie how/where to look it up if there was a question. That is also part of training.

I also agree that the OP handled it well.

Rick

Depending on the road they may have sirens on for safety purposes. What you did wrong was get your registration revoked. They dont just take it randomly without notice.
    CCWINNC

HK P2000 .40SW
    Para Ord Tac 4 .45acp
    XD 9 Service
    XD 9 SC
    Taurus 651 .357 mag

I do not understand the revoked registration eithermore info, please!
    Are you sure it had not just lapsed?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

The revocation could be due to a lapse of insurance. I know that in South Carolina if you have a lapse in insurance coverage you have to submit a special form stating the dates of lapse and proof of coverage. If you don't send it in within a specific time-frame they will revoke your license and your registration...even if you have coverage and fixed the problem...until you send that paperwork in, you are at risk of revocation.

Just thought I'd throw that possibility out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Sejune View Post
    The revocation could be due to a lapse of insurance. I know that in South Carolina if you have a lapse in insurance coverage you have to submit a special form stating the dates of lapse and proof of coverage. If you don't send it in within a specific time-frame they will revoke your license and your registration...even if you have coverage and fixed the problem...until you send that paperwork in, you are at risk of revocation.

Just thought I'd throw that possibility out there.
    +1. Also, in Colo, you can't register a motor vehicle or get a hunting license if you are in arrears with child support.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

You asked for comments from the members. Here are mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon08 View Post
    . . . After slightly arguing
    Best policy: Don't get into an argument with the police. Remember anything you say or do can be used against you.

. . . I tell him there is no way he is keeping my weapon.
    Best policy: Don't resist or tell the police they're wrong. File a written complaint later.

Obviously I was upset about my truck getting towed. But I didn't let them know it. I was respectful. Used "Yes Sir" "No Sir".
    Are you sure about that? Non-verbal communications come through loud and clear and most officers are very skilled at discerning them. You seem to regard your abilities in that area as excellent.
    "The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by Texian View Post
    Best policy: Don't get into an argument with the police. Remember anything you say or do can be used against you.
    Every circumstance is different, but- if the LE didn't know whether he could/could not confiscate the weapon, I darn sure wouldn't let him do it without arresting me ("I'm sorry officer, unless you are placing me under arrest,that is not legal...".) Or, the LE should provide a receipt, but from what is described they probably would not have since they "don't have the form."

Otherwise you may be giving Jim Bob a $500 tip for citing you. Or, Jim Bob might have the autoshop grind it to powder if he "confiscated it" and then found out he was in the wrong. "Pistol? What pistol? The guy's crazy!" Most guys are decent, but CYA is an even more powerful motivator than greed...

Keep yourself legal, be on how-ya-doin' terms with a good local attorney, and as you did, "yessir/nossir."

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links