2 BG Invade Home Unforced Entry - Ohio

This is a discussion on 2 BG Invade Home Unforced Entry - Ohio within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by biasedbulldog I will be living in a situation this next year where my handgun will be locked in a safe, and will ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2 BG Invade Home Unforced Entry - Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by biasedbulldog View Post
    I will be living in a situation this next year where my handgun will be locked in a safe, and will take me at least 10 seconds to access. I am NOT happy about that, but it is unavoidable at this point, so I sympathize with the frustration. I do live on the second floor, so hopefully I'll get a little advanced warning... but that possibly could be a fatal delay. Call me crazy, but I'll take that chance over the possibility of not having control of my firearm and an innocent dying because of my negligence.
    I second that. Fairly soon i'll be moving from a rural area with a 30-acre shooting range in my back yard to a small, 2 man apartment in the middle of downtown. Its scary to think that I just cant have a night-stand gun anymore, but just because your situation doesnt permit the keeping of a gun doesnt necessarily mean you have to be defenseless...

just my $.02
    We are only as vulnerable as we are naive.

2. Remove Ads

My stance is that deadly force is to be used as a last resort. It is intended for self defense. In the case of burglary or attempted burglary, there is no weapons apparently being shown. right? I was a Deputy for 8 years in Nebraska. We could shoot a fleeing felon, a person breaking out of jail, and someone either attempting to kill us or someone else. We could not shoot someone because they were in the wrong spot at the wrong time. I think you would have had a tough road in court to just out and out shoot them. Honestly, I don't condone someone entering illegally and stealing. Myself I would have trained a gun on them and told them to stop and don't move an inch. Put down the TV and spread out on the floor. If they flee, they flee. You are alive.

Just my 2 cents worth.
    Vern
    http://Taurus45ACP.com
    My wesbsite with many pro-gun links.
    Carry Taurus 24/7 Pro in .45 ACP

Well, not sure about the law, but i will tell you a similar story.

My little brother, who lives in a house with 4 of his college buddies, had the same thing happen to him. They live in a house that it 100% gated by 7ft fence, and for that reason all of their doors are unlocked. sure enough, they had some uninvited visitors steal tons of crap while they were all asleep.

My brother gave away his anti-gun status that day and became the proud owner of a sigma 9mm the next day. too bad it took something like this to force him to get protection, but hey, somethings better than nothing.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CAJUN600 View Post
    My brother / became the proud owner of a sigma 9mm the next day.
    Now that is a sad story.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    Ohio recently passed castle doctrine, not sure if it's gone into effect yet. I'm slackin a little.

A word of advice, be extremely careful if you keep guns around campus, parties and guns don't mix, alcohol and guns don't mix, and the more people that know about the greater the risk of someone trying to steal it from your house.

That being said, what school, I'm an OSU alum myself. If you are looking for a place to buy a gun, go to Vances, over on Cleveland avenue.
    SB184 will go into effect in sep-09-2008 in ohio.
    Geo.

For around $200 or less you can pick up a Marlin M60 or perhaps a Ruger 10/22 when their on sale, plus 500 round of ammo.

A .22lR isn't the most effective firearm, but it sure beats your current situation. If you can spare some more $$, a Marlin carbine in .38/.357 magnum is very effective. Of course there is always the old 12 Gauge shotgun route for probably the same price as a .22LR.

Oh. . . and don't leave your doors unlocked!!!
    Somewhere in the Pacific NW

What you had was a breaking and entering of an occupied dwelling.Probably the most dangerous situation you will ever encounter. Breaking part of B&E has nothing to do with a door being locked or unlocked.Lethal force to defend yourself is justified. Just make sure you know what the law allows before you make a statement that could harm you.The BG has no business in your home and you are not required to retreat or flee. You can stand your ground and the BG pretty much better do exactly as you order him to do at gunpoint if you choose to go that route.I'd personally try to give a BG one chance to submit and let LE handle it from there,(if the situation allowed)but wouldn't hesitate to shoot someone that wanted to argue the point.

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by otbdave View Post
    My question is, assuming I had concealed carry and was armed, does anyone know what force is acceptable in Ohio.
    Asking that question here will result in a lot of people telling you what they would or think they would do. It won't help you if you follow that advice and end up in jail one day. Do your homework and look up the laws where you live. Get proper clarification if needed.

Ragin Cajun good advice there. But I must also advise caution.. Lock your entry doors not just your bedroom doors. there is a story of a young lady who was abducted from a college house kept in the same locked condition you describe. All the other girls discovered she was missing the next morning, but it took a long time to find her body. Common sense does say that anyone in your home uninvited to rob you when you are present has a plan to deal with you should you become an issue. That is why most thieves choose to rob you while you are away from home. It is safer for them.
    The world is a dangerous place to live... not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. - Albert Einstein

Before you consider anything with a firearm, learn and practice the following:

1) Avoid Stupid People
    2) Don't do Stupid Things
    3) Avoid Stupid Places (Places where 1&2 converge)

The domicile's entryways were not secured. That's an invitation. Period. You might get by legally, depending on state law; personally I could care less about the "morality or ethics," but that's up to you.

If you possess and carry a firearm, "Happy Days" are over. You and your buddies were partying, and got jacked. If you hadn't been partying, and took basic personal security measures, you wouldn't have been jacked. What does a firearm have to do with the fundamental foundation of the experience?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links