Presenting from seated in the car

This is a discussion on Presenting from seated in the car within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am driving most of the time I carry my concealed weapon. I consider the city driving I do to be the most likely time ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Presenting from seated in the car

I am driving most of the time I carry my concealed weapon. I consider the city driving I do to be the most likely time I would be put into a situation where I would produce my weapon in self defense. As such I have thought ahead to what I would do in order to bring the gun into play as the driver against a threat on either the driver or passenger side of the car. I have my own ideas, but wonder if anyone else has any or if anyone has gotten any training on the idea.

I carry inside the waistband at 3 o'clock with a cover garment.
    I always clear the cover garment from any interference with the seat belt/shoulder strap.
    I check to be sure the firearm is clear to come out of the holster each time I get into the car.

My concerns are really over a driver's side threat that is too close to allow the firearm to be put up to our out the window. (stuck in center lane, cars on all sides and attacker comes up to window from blind spot) This puts the firearm close to the body with shell ejection a potential threat. Let's hear it.

Let's hear it.
    But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself...
    "Baa."
    LTC(RET) Dave Grossman

Revolutionary War Veterans Association Shooter Qualification: Cook

My concerns are really over a driver's side threat that is too close to allow the firearm to be put up to our out the window. (stuck in center lane, cars on all sides and attacker comes up to window from blind spot) This puts the firearm close to the body with shell ejection a potential threat. Let's hear it.
    The spent case will eject away from you. I pretty much do as you described in the vehicle. And I carry in the same position as you. I'm thinking it would be a small movement to draw, and simply bring the pistol up to chest level and turning my body slightly to the side to have the pistol covering the window or door without sweeping any part of my body and my strong side thumb being between my body and pistol will not allow any slide interference. Putting the pistol near or out the window will likely result in loosing your pistol or getting a broken arm which may lead to more serious issues after those have happened.
    (edit) If I need to take pics to describe what I'm saying, it will have to be tomorrow, but I would just because I feel the lack of detail that can be conveyed in the printed word.

If you are in a situation that you fear for your life, a burn from some brass will be the least of your worries. personally I'd be more concerned if I had a passenger and had to shoot across them (whether or not I would is another question), If you shoot in a vehicle it will be very loud, an is less than optimal. Other than that two tons of steel is a pretty good weapon too.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Practice, practice, practice.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

This is one of the reasons I carry crossdraw 99% of the time. Its much easier to get a clean draw while in the car. Maybe its just me being a big guy, but I just can't draw a gun through the "V" of the seatbelt by the buckle from my strongside.

If you have to make a shot to the driver's side, it may have to be made from retention, tilted with the ejection port angled down and way and with the butt of the gun high into your ribs. This may depend on wheter someone is standing a few feet away(maybe trying to shoot into your car) or is at your window trying to forcibly enter. The latter condition I feel would call for a shot from retention, as I would not want to extend my arms and the gun out the window where it could be knocked away or grabbed. I've practiced this shot while standing at close quaters to the target, but I think the same basic principles would apply. Of course a shot like this will get you quite a bit of muzzle blast, but as mentioned above, its one of the least of your worries.

I would try to avoid shooting and just hit the acclerator, if forced to draw, mine in inbetween the center console and driver seat cushion while driving.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    The spent case will eject away from you. I pretty much do as you described in the vehicle. And I carry in the same position as you. I'm thinking it would be a small movement to draw, and simply bring the pistol up to chest level and turning my body slightly to the side to have the pistol covering the window or door without sweeping any part of my body and my strong side thumb being between my body and pistol will not allow any slide interference. Putting the pistol near or out the window will likely result in loosing your pistol or getting a broken arm which may lead to more serious issues after those have happened.
    (edit) If I need to take pics to describe what I'm saying, it will have to be tomorrow, but I would just because I feel the lack of detail that can be conveyed in the printed word.
    I agree with this description and is what I have practiced over and over. Just make sure your neighbors aren't watching!!! I drive a 1 ton crew cab dually so there is a lot of room for me to manuever, I can see how this might be a problem for larger folks in smaller vehicles. This is why it is important to practice so you can identify the problem areas now, before you really need it.

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

I have the added bonus of being left handed....it has it's pluses and minuses, but having to draw in either of my cars with my left hand is virtually impossible. I keep my sidearm tucked between my em. brake and console. My right arm is very weak shooting, but i have been practicing to build up strength in it and confidence in myself.
    Let's Roll - Todd Beamer

MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

If you haven't seen the Desantis Kingston Car Seat Holster yet, it may be worth looking into. I don't have my CWL yet, but I'm looking into it as an option for my bank runs, freeing up the draw when buckled in (as I always am).

Try one of these. I wear it cross draw style. It simply clips over my belt. I can pull my gun and have it in the face of a driver side attacker in a flash. I can position it so the seat belt does not interfere. It is fairly inexpensive too.

https://stores.myregisteredsite.com/...tegory_Code=PP
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

PDTV covered this in a pretty good little segment... Their advice was to use both hands to follow the seatbelt to your side, unbuckle, firing hand goes to the sidearm to get a good firing grip the other one pulls the seatbelt out of the way, then the gun is brought up, actually along the steering wheel, and then joins the other hand at the window to fire.

Brass casing worried while you are getting shot at? You aren't going to notice unless you get a 1 in a million one into your eye. Don't worry about it. You have bigger problems, don't go borrowing any.

And there is ALOT to be said about using that half or 3/4 ton vehicle you are sitting in. My Dad taught me that it is a weapon if misuesed (or in some cases used properly) Get away! Failing that, get behind cover, you can do so faster in the car. I never let myself get boxed in, just because of that - well that and I have drove a few places where stopped vehicles with no place to go may draw RPG attentions best left to others.

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BUTCH69 View Post
    mine in inbetween the center console and driver seat cushion while driving.
    +1! I've tried to get my pistol from its carry position while seated & bucked in. It's a bear. I much prefer to keep it as Butch described, or in the left door pocket. The former is preferred but the latter is totally out of sight. The latter does, however, require much more SA as I would be drawing and shooting with my weak hand.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Member Array pleasantguywhopacks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paladin132 View Post
    PDTV covered this in a pretty good little segment... Their advice was to use both hands to follow the seatbelt to your side, unbuckle, firing hand goes to the sidearm to get a good firing grip the other one pulls the seatbelt out of the way, then the gun is brought up, actually along the steering wheel, and then joins the other hand at the window to fire.

Brass casing worried while you are getting shot at? You aren't going to notice unless you get a 1 in a million one into your eye. Don't worry about it. You have bigger problems, don't go borrowing any.

And there is ALOT to be said about using that half or 3/4 ton vehicle you are sitting in. My Dad taught me that it is a weapon if misuesed (or in some cases used properly) Get away! Failing that, get behind cover, you can do so faster in the car. I never let myself get boxed in, just because of that - well that and I have drove a few places where stopped vehicles with no place to go may draw RPG attentions best left to others.
    Here that video is. Unfortunatly they don't cover left hand carry.
    Guns & Ammo Videos
    When seconds count, police are only minutes away!
    OFCC Patron
    Buckeye Firearms Assoc. supporter
    Life Member NRA

VIP Member
    Cross draw is a good option. Use a clip on holster in the vehicle
    and xfer to your other holster before you exit.

Thanks for all of the good advice. I have heard the PDTV segment advice before. I know that practice is the best strategy and that SA and keeping an opening for escape well prevent the need. Boy Scout in me says to be prepared. Thanks again.
    But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself...
    "Baa."
    LTC(RET) Dave Grossman

Revolutionary War Veterans Association Shooter Qualification: Cook

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links