Tacoma Mall Shooting

Tacoma Mall Shooting

This is a discussion on Tacoma Mall Shooting within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Six Wounded in Wash. Mall Shooting By RACHEL LA CORTE, Associated Press Writer 1 hour, 57 minutes ago A gunman opened fire inside a busy ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    VIP Member

Tacoma Mall Shooting

Six Wounded in Wash. Mall Shooting By RACHEL LA CORTE, Associated Press Writer
    1 hour, 57 minutes ago

A gunman opened fire inside a busy shopping mall Sunday, wounding at least six people and taking three others hostage in a music store before he surrendered to a SWAT team, authorities said.

Witnesses described seeing a clean-cut man walking backward through the mall, firing a rifle. At least six people were injured, one critically, as shoppers and store clerks scrambled for cover.

Dominick Maldonado, 20, of Tacoma was booked into the Pierce County Jail on six counts of assault and three counts of kidnapping, according to jail records reported by The Seattle Times and the Tacoma News Tribune. He was being held on $450,000 bail.

Court records show he has an extensive juvenile criminal history dating back to 1998. He has been convicted of burglary, theft and possession of burglary tools and he had been ordered not to possess any weapons, the Times reported.

The suspect came out of the Sam Goody music store without a gun and surrendered to the SWAT team, Tacoma police spokesman Mark Fulghum said. He said police were interviewing the victims and the three hostages — two men and a woman — to determine what happened during the nearly four hours he was inside.

While the suspect was in the music store, employee Joe Hudson was able to pick up a phone call from The Associated Press and say he and others had been taken hostage. He said little more but could be heard telling others that he was talking to the AP.

Susan Serveau said she also called her daughter, Kathy Riggans, 24, a manager at Sam Goody, as soon as she heard about the shooting.

"She was upset and scared. She was crying," Serveau said, standing in a parking lot near the mall. "All she would say was that she was OK."

Authorities said they began getting calls about 12:15 p.m. that shots had been fired inside the Tacoma Mall. The first caller said a gunman "was in the mall, walking along, firing," Fulghum said.

State Patrol and police units from nearby agencies clustered around an entrance at the south end.

Inside, Stacy Wilson, 29, of Bonney Lake, heard a popping noise and turned around.

"I saw the gunman randomly shooting. I ran with a group of women to Victoria's Secret," Wilson said. She said they crouched behind a wall in the store, and when the shooting stopped, an employee ran out and closed a security gate at the front.

Wilson said she heard 15 to 20 shots.

"He was walking backward and shooting. I couldn't see his face," she said. "Everyone was running and screaming."

A man told KING-TV the gunman was smiling as he fired an assault rifle in bursts of four to five shots.

The man said he told his daughter and grandson to run and then hid in the back of a store with his wife and granddaughter. He says they helped a woman who was shot in the leg, bandaging the wound and wrapping her in blankets.

A woman who said she made eye contact with the "very clean-cut" gunman before he opened fire told Northwest Cable News, "When I heard the shooting I thought, 'This is a joke. ... I couldn't believe this was actually happening, that someone would do this."

Betz Dejarnatt, who works at the J.C. Penney store, said workers were herded into dressing rooms and offices, then police took them outside to a parking lot.

Six people were taken to hospitals, most with minor injuries, according to Tacoma Fire Department Deputy Chief Jon Lendosky. One person was in critical condition at Tacoma General Hospital, spokesman Todd Kelley said.

Copyright © 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. The information contained in the AP News report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press.

Copyright © 2005 Yahoo! Inc. All rights reserved.

Member Array chiefs-special-guy's Avatar
    "When I heard the shooting, I thought, this is a joke..."

How often does a story on an event such as this offer a quote of this sort? I guess it is human nature not to want to believe random attacks occur.
    Is this an example where a ccw person, combining a bit of luck and lots of preparation, could have ended this without the terrible results that occured? It is hard to tell from the news account, but if the guy was "walking backwards.." maybe so.
    Jeez.
    Six for sure...Uh, I mean Five. Five for sure..

Administrator

Thanks Scott

I caught only a small part of this story on the news.
    I was hoping that somebody would post the complete story.

Yes, this was a situation where a good, qualified carry person could have ended this early & with a somewhat better outcome.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    You are correct. A person with a CCW could have ended this mutt's rampage in short order. However in an effort to protect its patrons from evil guns, the mall's management had posted no weapons signs on the mall's doors. Since they created the unarmed victim zone I hope that someone there sues them for it. :chairshot

Another reason I do almost all my shopping online.

-Scott-

Lead Moderator
    I wonder if the gun control crowd will ever understand, criminals will get guns banned or not. Too bad a CCW or several CCW holders were not present in the mall.

and he had been ordered not to possess any weapons
    Well, that was effective, no?
    I hope this doesn't prompt another call for bans on weapons....
    "Water can flow, or it can crash. Be like water, my friend."-Bruce Lee

My Blog

"Luck, often enough, will save a man if his courage does hold."

Quote Originally Posted by rocky
    I wonder if the gun control crowd will ever understand, criminals will get guns banned or not. Too bad a CCW or several CCW holders were not present in the mall.
    It seems so simple and obvious, they will never get it because it does not fit their version of reality.
    ----------------------------------------------
    Bob McDuffee, co-host DogWatch Social Club Podcast
    Thoughtful Conversation, Considered Opinion and a Touch of Insanity
    "He who goes about unarmed in paradise, had better be sure that is where he is!" James Thurber

Tacoma mall is a 'free kill zone' that is the reason I never shop there. I am sure that a lot of other ccw persons boycott the mall for the same reason. I make it a point to never give my patronize to any place posted "no guns allowed'

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by raevan
    Tacoma mall is a 'free kill zone' that is the reason I never shop there. I am sure that a lot of other ccw persons boycott the mall for the same reason. I make it a point to never give my patronize to any place posted "no guns allowed'

Me too. Luckily N. MI is a gun friendly area. Few if any places prohibit CCW. I have not see 1 yet.

Assistant Administrator
    Can't add much - just echo the usual comments we make after such events.

Yes - ''free kill zones'' engendered by mall or other business policies, certainly make darned sure that some nutjob will have free reign to go on a spree unchallenged.

It is so absurd, because while it is conjecture of course, there is every chance that had that mall been containing just a few CCW's - chances are indeed that the perp could have been stopped very early on.

I need to go bang my already aching head, on the nearest wall again.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    In a follow up story the owners of the mall were aghast because their "Code of Conduct" posted by the bathrooms specifically prohibit the carrying of weapons on mall property? "Maybe we need a bigger sign?"
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

Assistant Administrator
    "Maybe we need a bigger sign?"
    Ain't that just great!!! Yeah right - 8' x 10' neon flashing signs might help eh?

I mean, these nutjobs and criminals are bound to heed that for sure

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

You have got to be kidding me!!!!

"In a follow up story the owners of the mall were aghast because their "Code of Conduct" posted by the bathrooms specifically prohibit the carrying of weapons on mall property? "Maybe we need a bigger sign?""

Are they really that stupid or is this a joke?
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

They're that stupid. Trust me.
    Dave

“The highest obligation and privilege of citizenship is that of bearing arms”. General George Patton—US Army

Vis et Veneratio

"So this is how democracy dies: to thunderous applause." Actress Natalie Portman as Padme in Star Wars Revenge of the Sith

Quote Originally Posted by Scott
    You are correct. A person with a CCW could have ended this mutt's rampage in short order. However in an effort to protect its patrons from evil guns, the mall's management had posted no weapons signs on the mall's doors. Since they created the unarmed victim zone I hope that someone there sues them for it. :chairshot

Another reason I do almost all my shopping online.

-Scott-
    That is why when I see one of those signs I
    a. go some place gun friendly.
    b. ignore the sign, "it is better to be judged my 12 than carried by 6" Worse case senario if found out they tell you to leave.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links