Most likely threat scenario for you

This is a discussion on Most likely threat scenario for you within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I voted defense under threat of immediate deadly, force, but I'm about to make a combat deployment, so I don't have a normal civilian life....

View Poll Results: Most likely personal scenario for using deadly force

Voters
137. You may not vote on this poll
  • Car Jacking

36 26.28%
  • Robbery while away from home

37 27.01%
  • Home Invasion

57 41.61%
  • Present during store robbery

36 26.28%
  • Sexual Assault against yourself

2 1.46%
  • Defense of another under threat of immediate deadly force

32 23.36%
  • Repell an attack by a vicious animal/dog

21 15.33%
  • Other

14 10.22%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Most likely threat scenario for you

I voted defense under threat of immediate deadly, force, but I'm about to make a combat deployment, so I don't have a normal civilian life.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    I voted "other".

I figure the most likely scenario for me is someone who's disgruntled about what I did ON duty coming after me when I'm OFF duty.

I had to go with other. I generally don't frequent the types of places that get robbed (banks, convenience stores, etc.). I'm guessing that I'm more likely to get caught in a situation at a movie theatre, mall, etc. Possibly a home-invasion, although that's very very rare where we live.

Mel
    The Ethics of Liberty
    LewRockwell.com
    The Survival Podcast
    How long have we watered the Tree of Deceit with the blood of patriots?

While they all are valid possibilites and circumstances where deadly force may be needed, I chose Robbery While Away From Home as most likely for a couple of reasons.

1) Home Invasion was not a reason I got my CCW permit. I do not live in D.C. and therefore I always had weapons at home and a plan of action for home invasions long before I got my CCW.

2) While carjacking is pretty high on the list of possibilities I kind of classified that as a "robbery of sorts" away from home. They are techinically robbing you of your vehicle.

3) Being present in a store during a robbery is also high up on the list, but still I considered to be in the "robbery while away from home" catagory.

So I voted for Robbery While Away From Home. It seemed to be the best choice for why I obtained my CCW permit.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCohodas View Post
    If I knew that I wouldn't have to carry, I'd just avoid it. Carrying means increased vigilance, avoidance of confrontation and preparedness to act in unpredictable situations. Creating what-if scenarios and analyzing what you would do is a useful thought experiment. "Most likely" just rings with avoidance.
    I understand your thought process. There are things we cannot avoid. We have to drive. We choose to drive the safest route through the least likely to be a problem areas. We choose to go to businesses at times and in places that present the least amount of threat. We keep our homes secure. Given all of those circumstances things can still happen. Given these, what is the threat that seems the most likely. I don't mean which are you most afraid of, I hope most of us here did not get our concealed carry because we were afraid, I was thinking most likely. I spend most of my time not at home or at work driving, much more than I spend at any other destinations. I therefore think that if something were to happen it would be while I was driving.
    But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself...
    "Baa."
    LTC(RET) Dave Grossman

Revolutionary War Veterans Association Shooter Qualification: Cook

"Other" - all of the above plus work related issues like a deranged stalker going after my principle and somehow latching on to me with their obsession, etc.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

All of the above with exception to "Sexual Assault against yourself" and "Defense of another under threat of immediate deadly force".

Life does occur.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

If I had to pick one I would have to say I am most likely to be involved in a car jacking or being robbed while sitting at a stop light. I spend a lot of time driving to and from work and I often have my windows down. All of my driving to and from work are on city surface streets and the area around work isn't all that nice.

Wht
    “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security” Benjamin Franklin
    I'm not pro gun, I'm pro rights. What are you?

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by Sergeant Mac View Post
    I voted "other".

I figure the most likely scenario for me is someone who's disgruntled about what I did ON duty coming after me when I'm OFF duty.
    +1.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

I picked present during store robbery. Crime is almost non existent in my neighborhood. Gated community with security 24/7/365, I drive a fourteen year old diesel truck (priced diesel lately?) I am six foot four, three hundred pounds, and am frequently told I "look like a cop". I don't think I fit the "prefered target" profile for few of these scenarios.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

MCP,

I'm 6'1" @ 168. lbs yesterday and I too am often told the same, by LEOs, military, and street criminal wannabes alike. I've been getting that comment since my late 20s.
    It's great though because folk just assume you're 'plain clothes' to which works to in my own case a situational advantage.

Although I do fit the profile for a number of reasons including like you for the primary and basic reason of being alive and there, and a challenge. Others around me at a given time though may appear to be easier pickings, which also works to my own and your advantage.

- Janq is not a LEO nor military
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Well I work undercover narcotics, so mine would either by while buying drugs, or when kicking in a door for a warrant. Oh Yea, I also work SWAT, so I guess that is a really possibility. Or getting shot while working as a range master.

Thinking about being robbed and/or car jacked (or a combo) is probably what I was thinking about when getting my CCW permit. As the wife and I age, we become more likely targets by younger predators.
    In fact, tomorrow the 'boss' and I are leaving Gainesville to go to IKEA in Orlando...(Orlando = land of the roaming dirtbags), and I have cause to think about robbery and car jacking while we are in that area (not that it can't happen anywhere else).
    Orlando is one of those treks that require me to take extra mags.

I certainly do not look for trouble, but if confronted, I will not hesitate to protect the wife and myself from deadly threats...quickly and violently.
    I constantly watch those around us, and eyeball all parking situations.

Stay armed...be watchful, be prepared...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I chose the home defense scenario, but I would also have to include the possibility of being attacked/robbed getting out of my car or walking to the door of my apartment.

I don't like where I live.
    "I pledge allegiance to the war banner of the united states of Totalitaria. And to the Republic, which no longer stands, several bankers, who are now god, indivisible, with Bernanke bucks and credit for all."

VIP Member
    I chose Robbery While Away From Home, as an avid coin collector I am frequently out of town attending coin shows.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links