Most likely threat scenario for you - Page 3

Most likely threat scenario for you

This is a discussion on Most likely threat scenario for you within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Carjackings and robberies(personal and banks/stores) seem to be on the rise in the Detroit area, so those things I would consider high on the list ...

View Poll Results: Most likely personal scenario for using deadly force

Voters
137. You may not vote on this poll
  • Car Jacking

36 26.28%
  • Robbery while away from home

37 27.01%
  • Home Invasion

57 41.61%
  • Present during store robbery

36 26.28%
  • Sexual Assault against yourself

2 1.46%
  • Defense of another under threat of immediate deadly force

32 23.36%
  • Repell an attack by a vicious animal/dog

21 15.33%
  • Other

14 10.22%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Most likely threat scenario for you

Carjackings and robberies(personal and banks/stores) seem to be on the rise in the Detroit area, so those things I would consider high on the list of potential encounters. I've always had firearms in the house so the home invasion aspect has been a constant and will remain so.

Here's one that I never would have thought of had I not been in the store when the guy came in.

Was present in the local Walmart the night that a guy with a suicide-by-cop wish came in. He was carrying, had already been on the phone with Maine State Police. He told them that he was going to enter and start shooting people and the police were going to have to stop him. He entered in one door and the employees started a rush of patrons out the other.

I was there with the family in tow. He had parked at the door that we went out and then walked to the other. Had he come in where he parked, that night would have had an entirely different outcome.
    Some people are alive simply because it's illegal to kill them.

If guns cause crime, then pens cause illiteracy

Rock Island Armory 1911 compact tactical, Ruger GP 100, Glock 27

How about a " crime in general" selection, that is why I carry.

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Quote Originally Posted by huntermedic View Post
    Here's one that I never would have thought of had I not been in the store when the guy came in.

Was present in the local Walmart the night that a guy with a suicide-by-cop wish came in. He was carrying, had already been on the phone with Maine State Police. He told them that he was going to enter and start shooting people and the police were going to have to stop him. He entered in one door and the employees started a rush of patrons out the other.

I was there with the family in tow. He had parked at the door that we went out and then walked to the other. Had he come in where he parked, that night would have had an entirely different outcome.
    SO what happened?
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Administrator
    I wonder how many replies are actually the most likely and not what is feared the most.

If it were really the most likely, the animal attack number would be number one, followed probably by the robbery away from home or car jacking. But thats just me thinking again.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    I think I'm most likely to encounter the threat I least expect!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

The poll is closed, in a way I am glad it is, I started carrying a gun when I was working in a violence prone store,,,, I am glad I made that choice,,,,, I am even more glad I was finally able to move out of that job,,,, into one that is considerably less likely for me to have violent interaction with others, I still carry a gun,,, why? because all of the above apply,,,,, the original reason that I got my CHL was so that I could protect myself/my wife while we were at the store,,, The best thing to happen to me in all honesty was having all the trouble I did have at that store,,,, it taught me a very valuable lesson,, avoid trouble when you can,,,, be prepared to act when you have to, but always try and avoid trouble first,,,,,,,,,,,, Pretty stupid of me to have stayed in an unhealthy environment so long when the real answer was to simply get out of the situation, easier said than done,, I still feel guilty because the store is a family store, but the truth is my immediate family is more important than that store is, so I finally left and as my wife has noticed I am much happier now.....
    I still try to avoid trouble, but due to working in that environment for so long my spidey senses have developed very well,,, now its just a matter of keeping out of low yellow or white,,,,,,, easier said than done.......... and why I pop back here every so often,, just to remind myself there is a reason I carry, even though what I considered the most likely threat is gone, ANY of the above could happen at any time.

Where I live bears are the biggest problems followed by mountain lions. Spring and fall are usually the worst times. Had a bear try to break into my home in the fall a few years ago. My last encounter with a bear was two days ago. I went outside to water some plants and my Saint Bernard ran past me and ran toward a bear that was in my neighbors back yard. I called her back and the bear ran away slowly. It was about 200lbs and cinnamon colored though it was a black bear species.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I wonder how many replies are actually the most likely and not what is feared the most.

If it were really the most likely, the animal attack number would be number one, followed probably by the robbery away from home or car jacking. But thats just me thinking again.
    I would argue that attack from a family member is more likely.

Family and friends kill each other more than strangers after all.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Quote Originally Posted by crzy4guns View Post
    Really any of those scenarios may require the use of deadly force, but someone breaking into your house while you are at home most definitely would be the time to use deadly force.

Amen to that.

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    My concerens are robbery on foot, car jacking and home invasion.

The danger or threat will be the one I least expected at the most unlikely time and place.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

From my experience while living in the area of New Orleans, I think the greatest risk was just walking down the side-walk after leaving a restaurant, other business, or crossing a parking lot to get to your car.

Since I have been carrying...I have had more "oh sh*t" situations with dogs than people.

But I put "Other" because lets face it...if something happens it will probably be a surprise. I've been on th receiving end of a crazy shooting up my school. If something happens it will probably be on some random Tuesday when and where you least expect it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links