Most likely threat scenario for you

This is a discussion on Most likely threat scenario for you within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We all have our particular reasons or concerns that prompted us to get our concealed weapons permit. Some may be as simple as the "Be ...

View Poll Results: Most likely personal scenario for using deadly force

Voters
137. You may not vote on this poll
  • Car Jacking

36 26.28%
  • Robbery while away from home

37 27.01%
  • Home Invasion

57 41.61%
  • Present during store robbery

36 26.28%
  • Sexual Assault against yourself

2 1.46%
  • Defense of another under threat of immediate deadly force

32 23.36%
  • Repell an attack by a vicious animal/dog

21 15.33%
  • Other

14 10.22%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

We all have our particular reasons or concerns that prompted us to get our concealed weapons permit. Some may be as simple as the "Be Prepared" mottos, some may be an incident that happened to someone.

Now that you have your permit and are carrying a means to defend yourself; What is the scenario you think would be the most likely for you to be foreced to defend yourself with deadly force or the threat of deadly force?

For me personally I believe the prospect of being carjacked is my own personal choice for having to use deadly force to protect myself. The amount of hours I spend driving, sometimes late at night, seems to me to present the highest threat level. I just got back from the 24 hour pharmacy getting a medicine my wife needed. I don't get to choose to not do this just because it is late. It is on this latest errand that I thought about this post.
    But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself...
    "Baa."
    LTC(RET) Dave Grossman

Revolutionary War Veterans Association Shooter Qualification: Cook

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    If I knew that I wouldn't have to carry, I'd just avoid it. Carrying means increased vigilance, avoidance of confrontation and preparedness to act in unpredictable situations. Creating what-if scenarios and analyzing what you would do is a useful thought experiment. "Most likely" just rings with avoidance.
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

I couldn't even attempt to guess. Most of those are all real possibilities except for the sexual assault scenario. Depending on her looks---I might just give in and submit.

I'm with Ram Rod, no way to know, much less guess.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

JRG
    Sexual assault....if the right girl tried to put a sex attack on me, I would submit.....for all the other choices I would stay armed and vigilant....
    Jim - Danville, IN

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    I couldn't even attempt to guess. Most of those are all real possibilities except for the sexual assault scenario. Depending on her looks---I might just give in and submit.
    Ramrod you're not thinking outside of the box It's a HE.

As far as why I carry any one of those situations is possible and maybe a few more,It boils down to Am I in fear of my life to the point that if I do not draw and fire I may be killed
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

While all may be possible (still thinking about the sexual assault possibility), carjacking, present in store during robbery, and other--road rage victim--rank the highest on my possibility meter.

Really any of those scenarios may require the use of deadly force, but someone breaking into your house while you are at home most definitely would be the time to use deadly force.
    God bless our troops!

Carjacking and Present in store during robbery for me. I drive from my house in a 0 crime town to the ghetto in Lansing, MI. Occasionally I drive to Detroit for work and have to walk to a parking garage at midnight. Since I frequently stop at gas stations and stores in these areas I felt the need to get my CPL. I can remember a few times the hair on my neck has stood up when stopping for gas in Detroit...it can be an adventure.

I chose carjacking, home invasion and defense of a 3rd party. I drive through some areas to get to work where car jackings occur from time to time, and let's face it who wouldn't want my green Toyota minivan, I mean it has leather seats .

Also last year there were many shootings in the city next to me (by next to me I mean the city limit is 2 miles away) and I frequent this city a lot as I have family there, all the victims did was answer their door when they heard a knock/doorbell.

I also think that there is a great likelihood that I may witness someone being offended in some way and may need assistance is out there, I can't just sit by and allow someone to be injured when I can assist, even if I didn't have a gun.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

VIP Member
    I voted for carjacking. Of course I can always hope for a sexual assault!! But then again don't find too many women going around sexually assaulting 55+ year old men.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

it's hard to guess. given where i live, i would think a home invasion would be the most likely, followed by a car jacking...but i don't worry about these things.
    Let's Roll - Todd Beamer

MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

I voted for other.

I think my most likely scenario would involve road rage.
    Too many cars with too many idiots in FL.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

I voted other. I carry for protection of my family, myself and others if needed in any situation. At the same time, I don't carry out of fear like some may believe. While law enforcement agencies do an outstanding job in most cases, they can't be everywhere at once. In some situations you may be the only protection.
    Member NRA, SAF and Georgiacarry.org
    “America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.” Abraham Lincoln

VIP Member
    I voted "Defense of another under threat of immediate deadly force". Living in Israel, which has a relatively low crime rate, the most likely scenario will be witnessing a terror attack. They are also rare, but as you can tell from recent events, they are usually stopped by an armed civilian on the scene.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links