How do i handle the threat of an upcoming attack?

This is a discussion on How do i handle the threat of an upcoming attack? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; You say it's a small town. How small is small? You mentioned there is wealth attached to the BG's. Is there a possible risk that ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How do i handle the threat of an upcoming attack?

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    You say it's a small town. How small is small? You mentioned there is wealth attached to the BG's. Is there a possible risk that your local PD is the Barney Fife type and could be corrupt? If you get that sense, the next step would be the NM State Police. There are overlapping jurisdictions and IF your local isn't on the up and up, the State might be able to step in.

I don't see where you have culpability in this situation, but then again I am not an attorney. Watch your 6 and alter your routine as much as you can for the near term. See where it goes, if anywhere.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

Well, you certainly did the right thing. No one should stand aside and just watch when someone get harrassed, man or women.

My guess is that they won't do anything. If they would, they would probably not warn you first. But you never know.

Talk to some friends and maybe neighbors. Tell them what happened and tell them about the threat. Maybe they can help you.

I'm betting that these guys are no different than any other bully. Mostly hot air...Maybe they are just testing the water to see if they can intimidate me...who knows. I don't know if they are dumb enough to warn me before they commit a crime against me. There were no witnesses there that would help me. In any case I'm just going to hope for the best, but plan for the worst. I did go right back to where we all hang out the very next day, sat in my spot and did exactly as I normally do. I might be a target, but I'm not going to act like a victim.

VIP Member
    People that are targets and don't change their patterns end up victims. Maybe a new routine would be best.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Make the report(done)
    Pay attention to your surroundings
    carry a gun...ALWAYS. Perhaps two.
    ALWAYS keep you doors locked (car/home/office)

You now live in condition yellow...get used to it.
    vary your routes to and from any places you go to regularly

do not take threats lightly. If the "good old days" I'd say knock the crap out of the 1st one that steps to the plate, but you'd get sued in today's society.
    MEN do not treat women that way...so..you are dealing with bullies..act accordingly.
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

Good for you for standing up to these bullies.

Get spray, get a gun (better yet, get two like dunndw recommends), and be mentally prepared to use whatever is necessary to keep yourself from being assaulted or worse. Carry everywhere you can legally carry, every day, every situation. Keep your situational awareness as high as you can for as often as you can.

Good for you for going back to the same place the next day. Living in a small town is different than living in a city. If you cower inside your house or avoid public places, these bullies will likely escalate their words and actions toward you. In the city, I might say change your routine and go on with your life. In a small town, often it's better to stand up and confront bullies from the start. They prey and thrive on perceived weakness. I have often observed cowards acting tough when they run in packs, or when they know they have you outnumbered even if they are speaking to you one-on-one.

I think you've done the right things so far, by standing up to them and by preparing for the worst. If you're wrong about preparing for the worst, the worst that has happened is you've spent some time and money on being prepared, which will help you be prepared for some future threat. If you don't take them serious and you are wrong, you could be in a heap of trouble.

So it's you against a group? While the threat toward you needs to be taken seriously, your situation reminds me of an Oriental poem I read many years ago. Granted, it doesn't apply in every situation--sometimes the best answer is to avoid all confrontation. But even though I know very little about your situation, I'm going to go out on a limb and say it might apply to your situation:

To have store of allies is no great matter
    When the sparrow hawk flies, the small birds scatter

I think your choices are to stand up to them now, hard and fast, every time--especially to the schmuck who threatened you--or be intimidated by them for as long as you live in that town. There is a time and place to be nice and try to make peace: as long as you're being overtly threatened by them, I don't think this is that time or place.

One more option, and only you will know whether it is appropriate or not: you may choose to call schmuck's bluff in public at some point. Something like (loudly and with many witnesses), "So, you say you and your boys are going to hurt me because I embarrassed you the other day for mistreating that lady. Here I am."

I know, it sounds confrontational, and it is. Some here will likely point out lots of danger with that approach. But it will certainly do a few things: embarrass the schmuck, let him know he can't intimidate you, and it will immediately produce many witnesses to your side of events. They may be less apt to do something to you since you have publicly fingered them for threatening you. Of course, you may have to tango, right then, right there, but likely he will be so publicly embarrassed that he will never attempt to intimidate you again. On the other hand, some people might later come after you for blood because of something like that. Then be ready.

I've done something similar, and over time, it can lead to a reasonable relationship between two adversaries once the bully knows you won't be bullied.

Blah, blah, I've said too much. But bullies need to be stood up to, or they just get worse.

One more thing: are you in good physical shape? If not, do what you can to get there, or if you can't, then be very good with your equipment options.

Wow, sounds like something right out of a movie. I commend you for standing up to these guys; there is no excuse for harrassing a woman. I was thinking, did this woman get herself involved in some dealings with these guys? Could she have done something to give cause for reproach or insult? Not that it matters really, but just looking beyond the simple bullying and "power trip".

I don't have much more to offer, but I would agree with those that said about NOT altering your routine with you being in a small town. I understand the benfits of doing so(changing things up), but I think with your situation, it will look like their bullying has an effect on you. Intimidation is intended to get you to do something different or quit something you are currently doing. Stay with your routine, but definately keep your awareness and preparedness maxed out. You filed the report; hopefully things will come back to level (mutual respect and calm vs. atagonistic behavior) with you standing up to them. Good luck and stay safe.

Lol....I don't know about it being like something out of a movie. It was far from heroic, stupid more like. I've been getting myself into stupid stuff like this a good chunk of my life. I spent a good part of my childhood getting picked on by someone a lot bigger (my stepfather) so now when I see it, well it just pisses me off. As for you questions about my friend, no she didnt and wouldn't do anything to invite, provoke, or deserve that kind of treatment. If I recall correctly what got it started was her inability to get golf on the big screen fast enough( it had to be changed in the manager's office). They came in from the golf course drunk and proceeded to set into her for it.

Your act was far from stupid. If people were more like you, there wouldn't be so many bullies.

The goods guys are often more than the BGs, but somehow, they take up more space and no one seems to do anything about it. I can understand that people doesn't like to get involved. But if you want to do anything about it, you need to get involved.

Often when you get bullied by someone, there will be other people around. But most of the time they won't do anything. If we all started to do something, there wouldn't be so easy to get in someones face.

I say we get involved!

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    call Police and be on guard.

1. The guy telling you that you're gonna "get hurt" has assaulted you; good that the police know about that
    2. Forget the pepper spray, it won't do any good against 6 guys plus you won't have time to use that and then go to your gun if the spray doesn't work.
    3. Do not do as Grady suggested and tell them,"...here I am...". That's inviting mutual combat which removes some of your legal self defense options.
    4. You have received the threat and there are 6-8 of them. If YOU, not a reasonable person, feel that an attack is imminent (right now, this instant, not in the future, like in a few minutes) you don't have to wait for them to start the attack you may render the first blow.
    5. 6:1 is certainly a disparity of force and you could bring deadly force into play right from the beginning of an attack.
    6. 6:1...geeze. Do not let any of them get within 21' of you.
    7. Consider getting a TRO against them and the guy who threatened you
    8. Get at least a 9mm with magazine capacities of at least 15 rounds. Use JHPs, heavy ones.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

I suggest you find a good criminal defense attorney and have a sit down with him regarding what to do (legal wise) if it comes down to defending yourself. DC.com has a list of attorneys posted here. Then get yourself some training on defensive shooting. Heres some links to where you can find such training:

Front Sight

Gunsite

Blackwater

Quote Originally Posted by f8lranger4x4 View Post
    call Police and be on guard.
    YEP !

Quote Originally Posted by Sig sauer View Post
    Often when you get bullied by someone, there will be other people around. But most of the time they won't do anything. If we all started to do something, there wouldn't be so easy to get in someones face.
    Agreed.

How ironic that I read this thread yesterday and then today a friend gets threatened with violence at work, in front of others AND in front of the boss... and the boss didn't want to do anything about it. Only after my friend said he would take it higher did the boss agree to become involved. So tomorrow is going to be an interesting day.

Bullies don't respond to courtesy, kindness, or reason.

Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    Agreed.

How ironic that I read this thread yesterday and then today a friend gets threatened with violence at work, in front of others AND in front of the boss... and the boss didn't want to do anything about it. Only after my friend said he would take it higher did the boss agree to become involved. So tomorrow is going to be an interesting day.

Bullies don't respond to courtesy, kindness, or reason.
    Let us know how that turns out.

I know of an instance where a woman complained to her boss about a co-worker harassing her. She complained several times, the last few complaints, in memorandums cc'ed to Corporate VPs. Nothing was ever done. She was later attacked w/a knife by this guy and seriously injured. Several other co-workers were also injured trying to save her. The perp initially escaped and was at large for several months.

Needless to say, all the slashed victim(s) sued the company and received huge, unopposed $ettlement$.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links