How do i handle the threat of an upcoming attack?

This is a discussion on How do i handle the threat of an upcoming attack? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by KenInColo Let us know how that turns out. I will. I felt so bad about what happened today that I posted about ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How do i handle the threat of an upcoming attack?

Quote Originally Posted by KenInColo View Post
    Let us know how that turns out.
    I will. I felt so bad about what happened today that I posted about it here: http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ork-today.html
    My apologies for it being long, but sometimes it's therapy for me to type.

Quote Originally Posted by KenInColo View Post
    I know of an instance where a woman complained to her boss about a co-worker harassing her. She complained several times, the last few complaints, in memorandums cc'ed to Corporate VPs. Nothing was ever done. She was later attacked w/a knife by this guy and seriously injured. Several other co-workers were also injured trying to save her. The perp initially escaped and was at large for several months.

Needless to say, all the slashed victim(s) sued the company and received huge, unopposed $ettlement$.
    Sad that people were hurt because management didn't do their job. I see some similarities in your story and what I posted today about my friend.

2. Remove Ads

Whoever mentioned that this sounds like something right out of a movie is correct. This sounds exactly like the plot to Road House. Are you Patrick Swayze?!

Dude, you totally busted me. I am he....i mean he is me....we are the same. Ok, not really....I'm like patrick swayze with a spare tire...and without the good looks, money, martial arts skills, and the hot chicks.

+ 1 on what Bark'n said.

How do I handle the threat of an upcoming attack

Quote Originally Posted by cagueits View Post
    I suggest you find a good criminal defense attorney and have a sit down with him regarding what to do (legal wise) if it comes down to defending yourself. DC.com has a list of attorneys posted.
    After reading both of you're threads, I agree with cagueits and strongly suggest you retain and seek the advice of a criminal defense attorney. You're going to need one when you brandish a weapon, or worse yet, shoot one or more unarmed bullies who are just spouting off bravado.

I urge extreme caution in your approach to this no-win situation. If you've read much on this forum, the preponderance of recommendations are to "avoid, walk away from, or otherwise turn the other cheek" in a verbal one-upsmanship confrontation.

You're on record in these two threads for an on-going confrontational relationship with a group of individuals. You've now armed yourself with a deadly weapon in almost a pre-meditated state of mind in seeking out a further confrontation to "put the bullies in their place."

This isn't TV. Once you display that weapon in response to a verbal threat, you've immediately escalated the situation to a deadly force encounter. You may be more the agressor rather than the victim at that point. Which of the 6-8 will you shoot first, the "mouth," or the quiet one in the back with his own .45 auto, JHP who double taps you in self-defense to a deadly force threat? If you don't shoot, then a likely outcome would be them taking the gun away from you, and pistol whipping or shooting you with your own weapon. The law may be on their side at that point.

I certainly don't discourage concealed carry for defensive purposes, but don't encourage you to go looking for trouble either. This is a deadly serious situation with a likely "no win for either side" outcome.

Be safe, sir, and think long and hard about your upcoming actions.

I'm not sure where you got the impression that I want to put them in their place with a deadly weapon, but nothing could be further from the truth. I am pretty screwed in the fact that it's no secret that we don't like eachother, but I have never sought a violent confrontation, nor would I. I would prefer to never have another dealing with them. I hate violence and thoroughly believe that no one wins when it occurs. They are the ones who threatened me with violence and I was not only taken off guard, but scared. I don't like having to watch my 6 and wish the situation didn't exist, but I still stand by the opinion that I was correct in the words I spoke to stop them from doing what they were doing. I am certainly not going to pull a gun in response to a verbal insult, actually I think it would be wonderful if we could just call eachother some names and then call it good. I absolutely consider myself to be on the defensive here and plan to do all i can to de-escalate the situation.

ScoobaSteve,

First off, thank you for not being one of those people who "mind their own business" (as they like to put it) when something wrong is (or even appears to be) done to another. Without the few people who decide that it is worth it to intervene in such situations - if only by pointedly informing the aggressor that his actions are noticed and deplored - this society would be deteriorating faster than it already is, which is pretty fast.

Secondly, I'd like to say something a little different from most of the responses so far. Much of the advice people have given is right on the money, particularly in regard to going to the police and making sure they know everything that took place.

But, in spite all the well-founded cautions about staying alert and armed, I urge you to take comfort in the fact that messes like this nearly always fizzle and fade into the past without anything remarkable happening. Even though a lot of sensational revenge stories hit the news every day (google "Deltona, FL massacre), in the broad scheme of things they represent a mere handful among the zillions of threats that are made in this country every day over bruised egos, and are soon forgotten by both sides.

In the case you've described to us, I would be amazed if anything further of significance transpires. The situations that carry the highest likelihood of actual, violent follow-up are those in which the aggressors are either crazy or, what is even more dangerous, have nothing to lose. Your pack of blowhard, golfer parvenus doesn't seem to me to fit that profile.

I know it's hard to adopt this perspective given your current proximity to the situation, but just do your best to relax while staying alert. I'd be willing to bet that the fools who harassed you (and her) have already moved on to things more diverting than planning revenge, particularly the type that could land them in prison and thereby put a crimp in their social life.

Parvenus.....excellent word, I had look it up :)

Yep, thousands of people are quietly doing their time in state prison for manslaughter over a bully incident or an argument that got out of hand because "in the scheme of things"... they were so insignificant that they never made national headlines.

Not to say that will happen in this case... but people are funny creatures. They are unpredictable, and without a crystal ball, you can not know how things will play out before hand.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

It's all been said. Take that .380 and buy an ankle holster for it-congratulations, it's your new backup gun! Now go get at least a .40 (I like .45's, you mighta guessed by my avatar) and shoot it enough to be reliable and second nature. Report any other conflicts or interactions to the authorities, avoid starting anything else if possible, and grow eyes on your 6 for the next few months. Some folks are mighty patient about that payback....

I've seen cases like these where the women you end up helping either:

1) Get's aggressive towards you ( There was a case where a random stranger helped a women when she was getting beat by a man, and she ended up stabbing him in broad daylight and the two of them beat on him and took off).

2) Made her situation worse

In any case, consult a defense attorney and watch your back.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links