I woke to my dogs barking... - Page 2

I woke to my dogs barking...

This is a discussion on I woke to my dogs barking... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Not wise for this guy to be coming around at that hour. I also don't think I'd go out to confront him, but instead call ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I woke to my dogs barking...

Not wise for this guy to be coming around at that hour. I also don't think I'd go out to confront him, but instead call the cops and be at the ready, until they arrive. No need to " EXPOSE" ( sorry could not resist ) yourself that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Rivers View Post
    I would suggest that the contractor might wear a night vest, bright orange or yellow, maybe some company logos, etc. No flashing light on the truck since that will probably make the neighbors mad, but certainly some company logo on the doors.
    Yes, he was in fact wearing a dingy, dirty yellow vest but it was hard to identify even when I had the light on him. He did see the pistol but he kept on working. I got the feeling that this was not new for him.

I remember a thread a month or two ago about a guy who went outside to investigate and got shot and killed as he rounded the corner of his house to confront the guy.

I'm sure he was being stealthy too!

Remember, you were naked and didn't realize it for a while, (probably still a bit groggy from being woke from a sound sleep) Probably not the best way to go into harms way and into the unknown. You also had no idea how many of them there were? Had that been a thief or burglar he would have been wide awake with cat like reflexes and ready for any encounter.

Big risk going outside... Yeah, I've done it! More than once... but it's a big risk and not tactically the best thing to do.

Also... Very Very Stupid Cable Company! That's a disaster waiting to happen! (I would send a follow up letter to COX CABLE informing them of such stupid and possibly deadly policy! May even be able to get your local law enforcement (chief) to endorse that letter as well.)

Glad things turned out OK!

Maybe better to call 911, get dressed, and wait on front porch or inside front door, for unknown subject to return to his truck before confronting him or actually break into the house!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sass20485 View Post
    Not wise for this guy to be coming around at that hour. I also don't think I'd go out to confront him, but instead call the cops and be at the ready, until they arrive. No need to " EXPOSE" ( sorry could not resist ) yourself that way.

I agree. As I said in my earlier post, should have stayed indoors. Had it turned out to be an actual BG. No way to know how many of them were outside, hiding in said, large, bushes. You could have really been caught with your pants down (couldn't resist either).

Here in CO, had there been a shooting, you easily could have found yourself in court. You left the safety of your home and put yourself in danger. In CO, you only have the right to protect yourself and those whom you are with, no ability to protect property. But, regardless of whether you had the right to confront them in your state, not a very safe thing to do since you had no idea how many BG's there could have been lurking out there.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by PackerfanXD View Post
    I have central AC too but I guess I'm just hot-blooded. Yes, I agree that I should've been clothed.
    Well, if he was a BG, you would have an advantage if nude.

If I were the BG, I would NEVER start to wrestle or in any other way get in close to a naked man. Especially a crazy naked man with a gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    I remember a thread a month or two ago about a guy who went outside to investigate and got shot and killed as he rounded the corner of his house to confront the guy.
    Link? I missed it. Thx.

At least your bull terriers didn't get loose. The decision to encroach on the perimeter of the house could have been quite worse.
    2nd Amendment: because personal violence never makes an appointment.
    Evil resides in the heart of the individual, not in inanimate objects.
    Proud Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

Quote Originally Posted by Moga View Post
    Link? I missed it. Thx.

At least your bull terriers didn't get loose. The decision to encroach on the perimeter of the house could have been quite worse.
    Sorry, I don't have the link and don't seem to have good results when I try to do a search on this site.

I would love to provide the link though!

I believe it was under the Personal Defense: Good Bad Ugly forum! Maybe a moderator can remember it and post the link.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Typical for COX cable. We've had 2 "encounters". That story is kinda funny though.

Nope, I can't agree with the cable company's practice of working on people's homes at 1 a.m. No one but me and family needs to be on my property in the middle of the night.

IMO that's dumb and dangerous of the cable company to send their employees to do that. No cable is worth potentially getting mistaken for a BG and getting injured or shot.

Let me give you some posting advice...

Never use 1 A.M., Cox, outside, dark, and naked in the same paragraph...

At my house, I would have let the 125# Rhodesian Ridgeback out...he immediately circles the house...he would surprise any late-night visitor...I'd be his back up...the wife would call 911.

The cable company definitely needs a phone call...work your way up to the supervisor's supervisor.

Stay armed...not sure about the holster...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

They did the same thing at my old house years ago. I worked second shift, so 9 a.m. is as good as one. I let my dog out, and heard someone yelling at him to get away. When I rounded the corner of the deck, there was a man in street clothes, standing on my wood pile, holding a crowbar. You can bet he saw my pistol.

When I called Cox, the told me they don't give out that info. When I told them that the guy in my yard REALLY wanted them to tell the man with the .45 he should be there, they admitted they had a contractor in my area. To this day, if Cox comes to my house, I get a phone call before the guy knocks on my door. Guess they can flag a customer.

In Cox's defense, at my old house, a 10 foot utility right of way ran down my backyard, and it is common practice to fence five feet into it, and split it with your neighbor. They have every right to be in the right of way 24/7, but I did not have any utility towers in my yard. The contractor jumped my fence looking for the box. If I had his job, I would want a uniform, or wear some ID.

Quote Originally Posted by joleary223 View Post
    I can't think of anything that would freak me out more than a naked man with a gun.
    A naked man WITHOUT a gun?
    Somewhere in the Pacific NW

Imn my LFI-1 class, Ayoob suggested that it's best to investigate things going bump in the night both clothed and shod.

Was it platoon that had the song "this is my rifle and this is my gun"? And the Cox guy wasn't afraid of your gun?
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

I have an easement in my backyard and a transformer. Florida Power always knocks on my front door prior to going in my backyard at any time. The subbie for Cox should have done the same. It is only a matter of time until he gets shot.

I guess it helps that I have a big dog!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links