I woke to my dogs barking...

This is a discussion on I woke to my dogs barking... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by retsupt99 Let me give you some posting advice... Never use 1 A.M., Cox, outside, dark, and naked in the same paragraph... ++++1 ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I woke to my dogs barking...

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Let me give you some posting advice...

Never use 1 A.M., Cox, outside, dark, and naked in the same paragraph...

++++1 on that, I was thinking the same thing.

BTW and in a very related issue, I must be at the end of the UPS route. It's not uncommon for me to have packages dropped at my door after dark. In fact it's happening too often. I know in the past it has happened a few times prior to Christmas and those guys are overwhelmed with deliveries then and I'm somewhat okay with it.....I understand.

I'm wondering if they've given this UPS guy too much route? I've called UPS twice about this. I've mentioned this before but we live in the country and it is DARK out here, so suddenly here comes an odd-sounding truck rumbling down my LONG driveway and I have to wonder whether I'm having a package delivered, home invaded, or swat team at the wrong address.

Any UPS employees here know their delivery rules? I'd rather handle this in a business-like manner, I really don't want to confront this guy in my drawers and holding a shotgun (I won't be naked, that would be too much).
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Hey, another way to gain a tactical advantage! If I confronted him naked, he would be paralyzed with uncontrollable laughter.

First mistake was leaving your home, second mistake was not getting dressed first!!
    Around these parts the cable company would be looking for a few more men, as you better not come to my house in the middle of the night.

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    Any UPS employees here know their delivery rules? I'd rather handle this in a business-like manner, I really don't want to confront this guy in my drawers and holding a shotgun (I won't be naked, that would be too much).
    I'm not an employee but my friend used to work for DHL. Basically what happens is they are paid on a salary therefore hours and time really don't have a meaning to them. They have a loaded truck that they have to empty before coming back, plain and simple. Yeah, UPS is taking advantage of a lot of their drivers and no, a phone call / letter probably won't make anything any better. In fact it may require your driver to hit your house earlier than what is convenient for him making his route even harder.
    Glock 26 Owner
    Ubuntu 8.04 User
    Firefox User

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    ++++1 on that, I was thinking the same thing.

BTW and in a very related issue, I must be at the end of the UPS route. It's not uncommon for me to have packages dropped at my door after dark. In fact it's happening too often. I know in the past it has happened a few times prior to Christmas and those guys are overwhelmed with deliveries then and I'm somewhat okay with it.....I understand.

I'm wondering if they've given this UPS guy too much route? I've called UPS twice about this. I've mentioned this before but we live in the country and it is DARK out here, so suddenly here comes an odd-sounding truck rumbling down my LONG driveway and I have to wonder whether I'm having a package delivered, home invaded, or swat team at the wrong address.

Don't worry about the SWAT team, they are not going to rumble up your driveway with their bus!
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    Nope, I can't agree with the cable company's practice of working on people's homes at 1 a.m. No one but me and family needs to be on my property in the middle of the night.

IMO that's dumb and dangerous of the cable company to send their employees to do that. No cable is worth potentially getting mistaken for a BG and getting injured or shot.

Didn't the original poster state that he is in Phoenix? Could that be why the 1am work schedule - I think its a bit cooler then than at 1pm in 110 deg heat.

Though maybe they should have called and let him know that they would be there at that time. (Ya Think?)

Was I the only one who chuckled when I saw the OP was the guy who chased someone across a Wal Mart parking lot with his gun, a few months back?

Maybe you should think about toning it down a bit, before someone gets hurt.
    G17, G26

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil...

Is this still going?

Quote Originally Posted by packin45 View Post
    Was I the only one who chuckled when I saw the OP was the guy who chased someone across a Wal Mart parking lot with his gun, a few months back?

Tone what down? I would have done everything the same way (except the naked part). Some of you want to hole up in your house; so be it. Some of you want to let thieves run a-muck; glad you're not my neighbors.

Quote Originally Posted by packin45 View Post
    Someone working on my house unannounced at 1am deserves to be stopped and asked WTH is going on. Yes, "toning down" the 1am unannounced house calls is warranted. Raising the defenses in direct response to intrusion at 1am is perfectly warranted. Without a 125#
    Rhodesian Ridgeback in the lead, I'm also likely to be calling LEO's to report a burglary/break-in in progress. But that's just me. With a bum hip/leg, a 1am reconnaissance isn't likely to end well for me ... brighty whitey tighties or not.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

rofl.. that just made my day. glad everything was alright
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

I work for a cable, phone and internet provider. The only time we would have someone out working at that time is if it was customer request. Even then there would have to be a very good reason to be on site at night. 1AM at a customers home unannounced is insane.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    At my house, I would have let the 125# Rhodesian Ridgeback out...he immediately circles the house...he would surprise any late-night visitor...I'd be his back up...the wife would call 911.
    Same here except three 130lb to 90lb Akitas in the lead. I'm there to save the bone heads life they don't bark they don't warn. COX need to call and give home owners a heads up. I'll them and say so and let them know I am calling the media letting them know about the incident and how close the Cox guy came to getting laid out
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

My old boss in Ft. Lauderdale, FL has a dock across the street from his house with a 38 ft Sonic boat on it. On the dock is a motion detector, and one night the thing goes off at 3am. He looked out the window, sees 3 men standing on the dock. A few months earlier, he had 2 zodiac boats stolen from the dock. So he gets his robe on and some flip flops, grabs his XD .45 and heads outside to see whats going on. He sneaks up on the 3 and asks WTH? The 3 turn around, one sees the gun and dives into the water (at low tide). One drops to the dock screaming, and the last one says "Hi Bob!, I got an early start today on measuring what wood we need to expand the dock." Well, the two others almost quit on the spot, and the 3rd suddenly realizes what a 3am stop meant to someone with a gun and very expensive speed boat.

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by athos76 View Post
    My old boss in Ft. Lauderdale, FL has a dock across the street from his house with a 38 ft Sonic boat on it. On the dock is a motion detector, and one night the thing goes off at 3am. He looked out the window, sees 3 men standing on the dock. A few months earlier, he had 2 zodiac boats stolen from the dock. So he gets his robe on and some flip flops, grabs his XD .45 and heads outside to see whats going on. He sneaks up on the 3 and asks WTH? The 3 turn around, one sees the gun and dives into the water (at low tide). One drops to the dock screaming, and the last one says "Hi Bob!, I got an early start today on measuring what wood we need to expand the dock." Well, the two others almost quit on the spot, and the 3rd suddenly realizes what a 3am stop meant to someone with a gun and very expensive speed boat.
    Holy thread necromancy batman!

Good story, though. I'm sure the contractor revised his habits after that one...

The thread wasn't THAT dead... it was only buried less than a month ago...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links