I woke to my dogs barking...

This is a discussion on I woke to my dogs barking... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ...last night. It was around 1am and my Pits were going crazy so I grabbed the wife's XD9sc (because my XD45c is in the shop...) ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I woke to my dogs barking...

I woke to my dogs barking...

...last night. It was around 1am and my Pits were going crazy so I grabbed the wife's XD9sc (because my XD45c is in the shop...) and my Inova LED light and went to the kitchen to peer out of the bay windows and there was a late model pick-up truck directly out front of my home. The marker lights were on but I could not see a driver in the truck.
    Then I hear a cordless drill revving a few times. So I thought 'there's a guy trying to steal copper or something (my electrical box for the house is just outside the bay window) My company was hit for copper less than a year ago so that's what I'm thinking.
    So I go out the 'front' door on the side of the house and because of the bushes I have out there, I was able to sneak up on the guy. I shined the light on him though I did not point my pistol directly at him and I was like WTH are you and WTH are you doing?
    He's like 'Hey, man I'm sorry to wake you but I'm with COX cable and I'm working on this cable tower.'
    So I look on the other side of the bush I was partially behind and sure enough, he had the cable thing all apart.
    Holy Christ. This guy couldve been shot.
    Mind you, I sleep naked (it's AZ and it's hot) and at this point I realize fully that I'm out in front of my house with a gun and I'm naked. So I go back inside and call COX on my cell and ask if indeed they have a subcontractor working on my house. The guy on the phone at COX was like 'Don't shoot him! He works for us.'
    What kind of company has people without a company truck come to someones house and start messing with stuff in their yard at 1am in the morning???
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; July 24th, 2008 at 01:26 AM. Reason: Deleted 5 profanity workarounds.

2. Remove Ads

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    LOL sorry thats just a little funny
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    Probably should have called the cops and not left your house. Good job not shooting the guy.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

poor decision working at that time.

I can't think of anything that would freak me out more than a naked man with a gun. I can only imagine how his side of the story would read.
    CRIME..... LAW DEFINES, POLICE ENFORCE, CITIZENS PREVENT!

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: [1] SOAP [2] BALLOT [3] JURY [4] AMMO!

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    Naked????
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

Administrator
    Maybe keep your light in your sorts pocket, then you'll forget neither.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Well, I guess we know the answer to the other thread about how quickyl you get dressed.

Probably not the best idea to have folks do work on houses at night.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by PackerfanXD View Post
    and at this point I realize fully that I'm out in front of my house with a gun and I'm naked.
    That's funny right there...

But seriously...What the heck was Cox thinking? Sending a contractor to work on someone's property at night in an unmarked vehicle? Heck out here where I'm at he may well have been shot (not by me of course). Half the folks in my area go by the adage of 'shoot first ask later'. They "don't take none to kindly to folks trespassin' in the middle of the night"
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Maybe keep your light in your shorts pocket, then you'll forget neither.
    I should. I just didn't want a thief to get away. Especially if he's taking MY stuff.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    But seriously...What the heck was Cox thinking?
    maybe the answer is hidden within the question
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    I can't find my copy of, "In the Gravest Extreme," but the recommendation in there is take the extra second to get dressed. Wear pants when you go to confront a potential mid-night problem. Massad F. Ayoob makes the interesting point that you are psychologically and physically vulnerable when you are not dressed.

I am fortunate to live with good central AC and heat. So, no need to be sleeping naked. But, in any case, a long time ago I actually learned to sleep in clean but torn up ratty blue jeans (much to my wife's displeasure at times) precisely so that I would be clothed if SHTF.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    maybe the answer is hidden within the question
    Great line.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    I can't find my copy of, "In the Gravest Extreme," but the recommendation in there is take the extra second to get dressed. Wear pants when you go to confront a potential mid-night problem. Massad F. Ayoob makes the interesting point that you are psychologically and physically vulnerable when you are not dressed.

I am fortunate to live with good central AC and heat. So, no need to be sleeping naked. But, in any case, a long time ago I actually learned to sleep in clean but torn up ratty blue jeans (much to my wife's displeasure at times) precisely so that I would be clothed if SHTF.
    I have central AC too but I guess I'm just hot-blooded. Yes, I agree that I should've been clothed.

Well Cox is not the best company around!

For all the grief you're giving Cox about sending a contractor out to fix their service, consider how many of us have complained about our TV or Internet not working in the wee hours of the morning! It's a 24/7 service and that means it might require work at any hour of the day. If it's outside of the customer's home, they work when the work needs doing.

I would suggest that the contractor might wear a night vest, bright orange or yellow, maybe some company logos, etc. No flashing light on the truck since that will probably make the neighbors mad, but certainly some company logo on the doors.

As for investigating this scene in one's birthday suit, that's just too funny. But I have to wonder how, if you had to actually shoot, the cops might question your frame of mind. If you aren't awake enough to put your shorts on, how good was your judgment in pulling the trigger? (Now that would be something to watch on Court TV!!!)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links