Defensive Carry banner

Crazy guy today.

2K views 15 replies 15 participants last post by  NCHornet 
#1 ·
I was on my way to class this evening when I came across a situation that could have been potentially very bad. I was driving through the campus grounds going from one side of the campus to the other when I saw on my right (15yds) in a large parking lot a man by the road on a bike eye-balling a young teen girl (75yds) walking across the mostly empty parking lot from my right to a bus stop on my left. This guy was ragged looking with various bags hanging from the bike. He would stand a while and ride around in a circle and then stand again. Thing was, he was screaming and flailing his arms at the girl. She seemed to be doing a good job of ignoring him.

Well, I went slow by them watching them, and then whipped into a parking lot across from the bus stop. The girl was sitting in there by this time and the guy was about 50yds away. I sat there for a minute watching, meanwhile this guy is now just screaming and flailing at nobody in particular (couldn't hear him clearly), but he seemed to like staring at me (I acted like I was doing something besides watching him). I should have done my best Dirty Harry:comeandgetsome:. Anyway after a couple minutes, I walk over to the girl and ask her if she has a phone, and she says, "Yes, do you need to use it?", I told her no, but she should call the police if that guys starts to come over, as I was getting security.

So I drive over to the closest building (300yds with her still in sight) and use the emergency phone to call security over. I see the guard (you know, your average non-armed college security guard). I tell him of the situation and he drives his golf cart over and talks to the guy. The guy tells him that he'll be gone in 15 minutes. I tell the guard when he gets back to me that the girl can't be left alone with guy in the area, and we would need to stay, and that's when the bus pulls up and the girl leaves. Whew.

Now the essential info. I had three handguns in the car, but couldn't wear them since I was on college grounds (I'm not willing to be the test case at to what college "facilities" means). I did have three pocket knives on me however, OC, and three flashlights (one with strike bezel). I was prepared to give the OC to the girl, but decided to stay with her instead. BTW, my teacher is the ex-police chief to the department I want to work for.

Tactics? I didn't leave my vehicle unless I had too and didn't stray far. I kept the engine on, but doors locked. I knew that police response would be slow, because the city police was performing a funeral for a fallen officer, so the local SO was covering. I figured that the situation should monitored and kept from going south, and if it did, then I'd call.

I think that's about it.

See less See more
#2 ·
:hand10: Excellent Job!

Something like that was handled very well I think. Bottom line was not to leave her waiting for the bus alone without an overwatch.

Good instincts! Could have been nothing to worry about... but could have been tomorrows next headline on CNN!

One question: Was the girl oblivious to the guy or was she sufficiently concerned about the situation?

:congrats: Good job at paying attention to what was going on around you! Lots of people feel safe in a car and therefore tend not to just casually scan the outside world for anything thing untoward happening to someone else in the area.

#3 ·
She seemed pretty oblivious (she could have just been pretending to ignore him), until I mentioned him, and then she seemed to understand that there was the possibility that he could be a threat.

#6 ·
Everything was done correctly as I read it, good job.

Went to higher alert condition when possiable threat was ID'ed
Alerted the girl/lady to his, and your, presence
got security involved, they are the accountable authority, not you.

Bravo Zulu on doing something responsiable, most wouldn't have gotten involved .

#8 ·
Good thinking and actions on your part. Had that been my daughter or granddaughter, I would have been appreciative of your clear thinking.
Many people would never even have noticed the negative possibilities.

One can see these rugged and unkept individuals all over FL, and some of them are always talking to themselves with wild gesticulation.

It seems best to just ignore them.

Stay armed...stay alert...stay safe!

#9 ·
Good show. You did the right thing. :congrats::congrats::congrats::congrats:

When are the other states gonna follow Utah's lead and allow campus carry? My wife teaches for two colleges and I worry b/c her CC is in the glove compartment.

#13 ·
Good job I would have done same thing and had an attack ocurred I would not have hesitated to do an intervention,too many people today would have just driven off

#14 ·
There are easier ways to pick up girls. I don't know any off hand... :rofl:

As a dad who is about to send his daughter off to college, and one who seems to be just as oblivious as this girl was, it is comforting to know there are still gentlemen out there. :congrats: :congrats:

#15 ·
good job :hand10:

#16 ·
In a day when the far majority would have kept going and left the girl to fend for herself I applaud you for stopping and helping. The only thing that concerns me is leaving her alone while you were 300 yards away with this idiot. Having a cel phone would do little to prevent a nut job from attacking and by the time the law gets there it would probably be long over. I would have suggested she come with me that I believed this guy could be trouble. If she refused, not sure if I would have gone for help or waited with her for the bus. Either way you both went home safe and in the end all is good!!!

NCH

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.