Virginia: DOG attack - Page 2

Virginia: DOG attack

This is a discussion on Virginia: DOG attack within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The air horn will work fine, if the dog is in bluff mode. If he's in full fight mode, then neither the horn, the foot, ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Virginia: DOG attack

The air horn will work fine, if the dog is in bluff mode. If he's in full fight mode, then neither the horn, the foot, nor the spray will stop him. Good luck hitting him while he shakes your dog at close range. This coming from someone who deals with dogs every day. Either talk to the neighbors or at least leave a written note with your number asking them to deal with it and contact you for confirmation, or call the local shelter/animal control and let them take it from there. Sounds more like them letting your "pup" know who's in charge, but the next time might not be a friendly warning.

Contact animal control AND your jurisdictional law enforcement.
    Establish a paper trail by filing a formal complaint with both.
    As my crystal ball ran out of batteries, I won't presume to divine any what-if's or this-will's, but I have been bitten and I have seen what dogs can do to livestock, and I have no wish to end up in the midst of a canine confrontation.
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

This happened to me. several years back. I'd been deer hunting on the family property, and since it was nearly dark, and past legal shooting time, I walked back to where my pickup was parked. When I came up to my truck, there was a large Shepherd mix at the truck. When I approached he went into attack mode. (tail down, head down and snarling at me). He moved slowly towards me. I was carrying my deer rifle, a REM model 760 pump in 30-06 cal. I didn't want to shoot someone's dog, but I didn't want to get bitten either. However, the dog was between me and my truck. Finally, I fired one round into the ground right in front of the dog's nose. The muzzle blast, at that range was, enough to discourage that dog, and he took off for parts unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by celticredneck View Post
    This happened to me. several years back. I'd been deer hunting on the family property, and since it was nearly dark, and past legal shooting time, I walked back to where my pickup was parked. When I came up to my truck, there was a large Shepherd mix at the truck. When I approached he went into attack mode. (tail down, head down and snarling at me). He moved slowly towards me. I was carrying my deer rifle, a REM model 760 pump in 30-06 cal. I didn't want to shoot someone's dog, but I didn't want to get bitten either. However, the dog was between me and my truck. Finally, I fired one round into the ground right in front of the dog's nose. The muzzle blast, at that range was, enough to discourage that dog, and he took off for parts unknown.
    In Michigan the law requires you to have your dog under your immediate control at all times, and unless you were on private land, and knew who the dog belonged to I would have dropped it on the spot, then it could not go off and attack someone else without a gun.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Administrator
    Any threatening dog not on a leash or not tethered that is running at you and your properly leashed pet while you are out for a walk....OC spray it.

I keep a 4 OZ Fox Labs STREAM instantly ready for use any time I am out walking my dog.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I don't know about elsewhere, but in Tennessee a shooting is a shooting. Cops are going to come. They are most likely going to take your weapon. Even if proven right, you will probably never see that weapon again, evidence stays evidence until the second coming. If it goes out of evidence it gets scrapped. Had a neighbor shoot dog on his own property. Cops took shotgun for evidence, a good shotgun $700+, and it hasn't been back in four years. He should have borrowed my H&R Topper ($100+)! I love my S&Ws too much to throw them away just to show I can shoot a dog. Again it doesn't matter that you were right, gun is gone! Call animal Control it is in their line of work and they know what to do. Besides, in this part of TN dogs are a sensitive issue. IF you had a cute little dog and the other guy had a big hunting dog you would automatically be wrong. I think you would probably be in more trouble for shooting somebody's dog around here than you would for shooting their kids!
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

Hell... a very loud air horn will scare and surprise even a big dog.

I have the softest heart in town for pets. However, strays, feral, uncontrolled, or wild animals are pests to me. Heck, even the wild turkeys have an agreement with my dogs, they all pretend not to see each other when we walk. The problem is that my big dog will run away, and my medium one will run towards. I always walk the dogs with a .357, and will drop the leash and smoke any aggressive dog that runs for me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links