Virginia: DOG attack

This is a discussion on Virginia: DOG attack within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Okay this has happened to me and my fiance in the span of 2 weeks about 3 times. I'm walking my puppy 1 yr ol ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Virginia: DOG attack

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality

Virginia: DOG attack

Okay this has happened to me and my fiance in the span of 2 weeks about 3 times.

I'm walking my puppy 1 yr ol Redbone Coon hound, and a dog comes charging across the field from a nearby house. The first time it was a big Husky looking dog, now 2 times they have been fairly large pitbulls. OO and FYI there is a LEASH LAW in Fairfax county!!!

Most people have been telling me to try and KICK the dog first (my thought I don't want to get that CLose to a dog that can chew my leg off!).

I'm thinking pepper spray first as a the best alternative (if so can you pepper a charging dog no problem without warning in the commonwealth) Actually better yet IN FAIRFAX VA aka NOVA. I dont' know legally what am I allowed to do against somebody elses dog. I mean technically its not a person its property, but I'm wondering would It be seen as using a firearm to protect my Property (my puppy). My honest opinion if I saw a dog like that coming at me I would think It would come after me after it killed my dog.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

2. Remove Ads

Shoot it. It is a threat to you.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    We covered the shoot it - don't shoot it thing last week in depth
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

A 3/8" x2' piece of rebar swings nicely, and breaks long bones beautifully. Shooting anything in public causes all sorts of problems. If you have to, you have to, but....

Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    Okay this has happened to me and my fiance in the span of 2 weeks about 3 times.

I'm walking my puppy 1 yr ol Redbone Coon hound, and a dog comes charging across the field from a nearby house. The first time it was a big Husky looking dog, now 2 times they have been fairly large pitbulls. OO and FYI there is a LEASH LAW in Fairfax county!!!

Most people have been telling me to try and KICK the dog first (my thought I don't want to get that CLose to a dog that can chew my leg off!).

I'm thinking pepper spray first as a the best alternative (if so can you pepper a charging dog no problem without warning in the commonwealth) Actually better yet IN FAIRFAX VA aka NOVA. I dont' know legally what am I allowed to do against somebody elses dog. I mean technically its not a person its property, but I'm wondering would It be seen as using a firearm to protect my Property (my puppy). My honest opinion if I saw a dog like that coming at me I would think It would come after me after it killed my dog.
    The problem with that is that if it attacked your dog first, odds are you would try to save the dog right...? Then you're going to get the redirected aggression before it even gets a chance to kill your dog. It's going to switch gears and go right for whatever is impeding it.

I would think if you can articulate fear of "imminent danger of death or great bodily harm" you would be good to go hot. If the rule is good enough for people I would think it would be good for dogs, no? I wouldn't expect a kick to stop a charging pit (and I'm an owner of one). They don't call them bullheaded for nothing. They have a high pain tolerance so I would suspect an untrained charging one probably wouldn't stop for a swift kick to anywhere(head, nose, side, whatever). If it's charging and attacking it hasn't been trained or socialized properly and IS dangerous. I would call it in now so it's on record and then the next time it happens...do what you have to.

Any thoughts from the NoVA LEO's out there?
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Research "The Mosby Foundation" for more information on what happens when a person destroys a dog. On a completely different topic, this case (Coleman) also serves as a prime example of why one shouldn't talk to the police. I'll give you the background on this one the next time I see you.

O.C. is usually effective on a dog, provided you can get it in its face before it can get to your or your dog. We missed the 'charging dog drill' at the class; this one shows how little time you have to react and how hard a fast moving dog can be to hit.

Randy

Rob99,

If its a definate threat to you/your fiancee and there is no other recourse, then you have every right to defend yourselfs against a human or animal, it should make no difference. I don't know what the legalities are about defending your dog are though... but I believe the 2 are definately different. I've had similar situations happen while I've been walking around the neighborhood with my 2 granddaughters on their bikes (me walking). First time a dog came charging after my 4 year old granddaughter on her trycicle I snatched her off of it and used the trycicle to keep it away until a neighbor came out and chased the dog away. Second time (different dog/different area) I basically did the same manuever except I used the trycicle to knock the dog out. Both times I felt lucky that I had enough warning to react without having to put the dogs down and let my granddaughters experience what that looks like (4 & 10 years old). Now when I'm out walking with them not only do I have my SA 45 Micro(as always) but I also take my Tennessee walking stick with me just for the sole purpose of smacking the heck out of a charging dog. I would really hate to have my granddaughters see something like a dog getting put down, but if the situation warranted that action, then I would have no problem doing it. When it's just me and the wife out walking then we are both legally armed.
    Alex G.
    S&W M&P .45
    Virginia Beach, Va.
    Senior Chief Petty Officer, RETIRED, USN
    Certified NRA Pistol Instructor
    NRA Range Officer

Do you live in the sort of neighborhood where you could talk to the owners of these dogs?....if No, note the addresses and file complaints with animal control. Believe me....a charging fullsize pitbull is a serious threat that a kick isn't gonna stop and I doubt pepper spray would. I have an 80lb Olde English bulldog, and while it's not a pit, they are 1/2 english bulldog, 1/6 bull mastiff, 1/6 american, and 1/6 pit, so i imagine their tendencies are similar. If you are part of it's pack, nothing to worry about, but if you aren't and you intrude on it's percieved territory....watch out! A kick would just **** my Jack off. I wouldn't hesitate to go hot if it was charging. That being said....in the interest of keeping neighborly goodwill, try and talk to them to voice your concerns, then file a complaint if they don't remedy the situation.

BANG! Play dead, good doggie.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Most dog charges are nothing more than a big show. If they were serious, your post would be a lot different by talking about how much they had chewed you up. It's had to hit a small running target. I'd shoot as a last resort.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    BANG! Play dead, good doggie.
    I actually taught that one to my moms dog. Point finger like gun and say bang...he' rolls over with his legs up and plays dead. Somehow I don't think that will work on this dog though...
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

I'm curious because I've never seen this approach. (That might say something about its effectiveness...)

Would a marine compressed air horn have any effect on a charging dog? I know that fireworks scare the heck out of many dogs so maybe an extremely loud noise in their direction would put one in check too. At the very least, it would attract the attention of anyone within a few hundred yards.

Anyone know the answer?

Quote Originally Posted by Rivers View Post
    I'm curious because I've never seen this approach. (That might say something about its effectiveness...)

Would a marine compressed air horn have any effect on a charging dog? I know that fireworks scare the heck out of many dogs so maybe an extremely loud noise in their direction would put one in check too. At the very least, it would attract the attention of anyone within a few hundred yards.

Anyone know the answer?
    I was bit once, hand and arm were swollen up like a balloon, visit to the ER, shots, stitches, very painful for an extended period of time, N I would not want to rely on a noise maker to deter a vicious animal. On the other hand a dog when not in it's own territory can often be bluffed by a counter move of aggression, bottom line though when in doubt I would shoot to stop.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    Even in MA this advice is specifically stated toward dogs as being lawful, per the conditions stated by the OP.

Also agreed with others, I don't want to be so close to a dog that I can contact it with my foot.
    Invest in pepper spray is strongly suggested for just such walks. Be sure to get the kind that has a dye so as to mark the animal. That way when you dial 911 and the po-po as well as animal control come on scene the owner won't be able to claim that Boofie is just a nice animal and was no where near you or that they have the wrong house/dog.

As to kicking dogs when I was ~9 my father and I were walking into my aunts driveway when a GSD (old school real kind not like the kind they have today) ran up on us full tilt, teeth bared, no bark, ready for action. I froze. Dad he _charged_ the dog closing distance. And with one swift kick caught the dog in the snout with his boot. He was wearing jungle boots that day. It was the 70s, this was everyday normal. The impact from the tip of his boot took the dogs nose off. It went flying in the opposite direction the dog had come.
    I will never in life forget the scream that animal made and the sight of it. The dog ran faster than I've ever seen any dog run then or since.
    Seconds later some dude walked up to my dad from across the street and asked what the hell did you do to my dog?! My dad flatly responded that if he didn't get out his face then he'd do the same to him. And that was that. No further words were spoken.

I'd never seen that dog before and I would go to my aunts house like every other day when I was coming up. And I never saw that dog or that man again. My dad though did later in the day find the dogs nose flesh in the yard. He tossed it in to a curb can, and that was that.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

For crying out loud..... the damn pit bull isn't gonna tell the cops he was going for your coon hound puppy and not you when you shot him! It's your word against the pit bulls!

Deal with it!

Now, I don't shoot dogs in less I Absolutely Have To! I'm a dog lover... I would use OC first, if I could, but I wouldn't hesitate to shoot if I had to either.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links