Building cover in the home - Page 2

Building cover in the home

This is a discussion on Building cover in the home within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; They do make lead lined sheetrock. I've seen it installed in medical facilities in the x-ray rooms. It's not very thick but looks like sheet ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    They do make lead lined sheetrock. I've seen it installed in medical facilities in the x-ray rooms. It's not very thick but looks like sheet metal. I made a bullet backstop years ago that I still use, and it's made out of 3/16" plate........9mm 124 gr +P from 30 feet gives it minor dings. I would think 1/4" steel on both sides of the wall under the standard sheetrock would be sufficient. Maybe you could find some kevlar wallpaper to cover all that?

Lead Lined Sheetrock / Lead Lined Drywall
    Lead Lined Gypsum Wallboard
    How to seal a room
    This one is really good!
    http://bulletresistantfiberglasspane...tructures.com/
    Last edited by Ram Rod; July 26th, 2008 at 09:07 AM. Reason: adding links

test it

I have had customers buy Kevlar "bomb blankets" to reinforce walls. I personally have a strategically placed gun safe, furniture, and bookshelves to protect my bedroom and my son's room. I guess those would be opposite ends of the spectrum price-wise. If you were to fabricate your own armor, test it well. No telling what the results might be. Please keep us posted though.

When my house was built ( 9 years ago ) I had a security system set up.

If someone approaches my home from any direction a simple announcer lets me know it. Basement windows have alarm bars.

Most BG's ( not drugged out wackos or amateurs ) will see the little red light on the sensors when they are made and will leave.

If they decide to go any further all doors and windows are alarmed and the entire first floor has 100% coverage with motion sensors. These have a 60 second warning that can easily be heard by the perp. After 60 seconds the main alarms go off and they would scare the he** out of anyone.

The system also allows me to see ( from my bedroom ) what zones have movement in them so I know exactly where the BG or BG's are.

My bedroom is on the second floor.. Has a secure door with steel braces ( cannot kick it in or shoulder it without probably breaking a bone ).

Cell phone, flash light and 12gauge as well as 1911 colt govt. will be waiting if things get nasty at the bedroom door.

For the cost of a tricked out 1911 I hope what I have installed will prevent getting to that last stage.

Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    I agree and have thought about plating my outer bedroom wall with some 3/16" steel backed up with 3/4 or 1" sheet of plywood.

3/8" plate steel is EXTREMELY heavy and difficult to cut (read PLASMA cutter needed!) if you have to fit pieces.

3/16" sheet steel isnt that expensive and will stop most bullets, especially a stray bullet that might get tossed towards the house.
    3/8 is easily cut with an oxy/acetylene torch. Most steelyards can also cut it to size. For an install like this, you'd only need a couple of pieces. 2 guys can handle a 3'x7' sheet.

I run 3/4" plate for my backstop. handgun ammo up to 44 mag doesn't do much other than a small surface dimple. No dimple on the backside. .223 puts a little pockmark on the face, again nothing on the back.

I have another 1/4" plate target also. 44 mag puts a golfball sized dent in the plate. 223 puts a very clean hole through the plate. .223 FMJ, HP, or polymer tips - all the same. ZIP and it's through.

Lots of great input here. FYI, there are additional reasons for someone not to come all the way up stairs and try to break through the door and the door is reinforced and there is a door club. Again, this is just an idea along the lines of "hey, if we intend to make our last stand here then here had better be a reasonable place to stand" kind of thing. Cheap (ish), interesting home project without major rennovation is the goal (hope).

Thanks again everyone. I'll try to work up some samples of my ideas and do some "testing" at an out door range and report back.

Cy

"FYI, there are additional reasons for someone not to come all the way up stairs and try to break through the door and the door is reinforced and there is a door club."

how effective would 3 1/2 inhes of sand be? especially with 1/2 drywall on both sides? my though is drill a 4 or 5 inh hole in the top of each stud cavity and pour it up 7ft or so with sand.

Sand alone is no real stopper. Sheetrock would help, but other than a .22cal most bullets will make it into at least a foot of sand. Plus it weighs a ton, about 100 pounds per cubic foot.

Building cover in the home

2x4 studs are app the width of a brick. frame a12''x12'' box . 1/8''
    plate on one side. bricks in the middle. 1/8'' plate on the other.
    3/8'' sheetrock for outer walls. Paint. Carry to range. Shoot. See
    the effects. If you like results,do your wall or walls the same way
    at home. If not,then add another 1/8'' layer and shoot again.
    that way you know exactly how thick you need to be to stop your
    bullets. Using multiple layers of thin metal will allow you to more
    easily build your wall without breaking your back and do it alone
    if you have the skills.

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    Unless you are going to re-enforce all the walls of your house I think you are wasting your money and time. With all the possible scenerios that you can think of, chances are if something happens, it's not going to go down like you planned. I'm not saying your idea isn't a good one, just saying if you do a small area, chances are it's not going to be where you need it.

Quote Originally Posted by boscobeans View Post
    ...other than a .22cal most bullets will make it into at least a foot of sand.
    That's not what this informal test shows.

Bullet Penetration In Sand

The test done did not take into account multple layers of sheetrock.

This might be of interest to anyone planning on using sand for a backstop. We used these figures to set up a small range and with a four foot berm we have never had any problems.

test Report No 1

I've installed a two-step alarm system.

When the BG enters the home, the alarm sounds and then sinks his canines into any exposed body part...125#s repeats the process as necessary...

Then the second stage alarm goes off...it consists of rather loud booms and is accompanied by several loud flashes. In case the BG is both blind and deaf, the lead pellets alert the BG's sense of touch.

I'm not worried about lining my walls with lead, or building bullet-proof doors (unless it's to keep lead from hitting the neighbor's house).

Stay armed...get a dog...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I've installed a two-step alarm system.

When the BG enters the home, the alarm sounds and then sinks his canines into any exposed body part...125#s repeats the process as necessary...

Then the second stage alarm goes off...it consists of rather loud booms and is accompanied by several loud flashes. In case the BG is both blind and deaf, the lead pellets alert the BG's sense of touch.

I'm not worried about lining my walls with lead, or building bullet-proof doors (unless it's to keep lead from hitting the neighbor's house).

Stay armed...get a dog...stay safe!
    I agree. Send in the dog(s) first. Then as the BG is pre-occupied you can implement phase-2 of the home defense plan and give the BG a bad case of lead poisoning.

You might try some firing tests, but few handgun bullets will penetrate 3 sheets of ply and 2 sheets of sheetrock. If you want a sheet of metal go ahead. Most household walls are 4.5" thick so you have that much space to fill.
    Sheetrock is cheaper than ply so you might try several layers of that first. I think you will find it is a pretty good stoper.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links