Building cover in the home

This is a discussion on Building cover in the home within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Cyklopz Has anyone ever tried to create their own "armour" to use in the home? I have read through a lot of ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Building cover in the home

Quote Originally Posted by Cyklopz View Post
    Has anyone ever tried to create their own "armour" to use in the home?
    I have read through a lot of the screwball responses and possibilities. Unless I missed it, no one has mentioned a tornado shelter. This would be a very practical adaptation for new construction -- to make the master bedroom the home tornado shelter.

I know that many homes have built-in tornado shelters, but I have not seen any where the main bed room was so adapted.

Although it would be labeled as a tornado shelter, it certainly provide the extra protection about which you have inquired.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    I have had customers buy Kevlar "bomb blankets" to reinforce walls.
    That was exactly my first thought the granite lining idea is pretty sharp and possibly cost effective as well.
    Yesterday I got an e-mail from Botach toward a ballistic blanket and it's pretty sizeable at 32"H x 72"W and just 30 lbs at a cost $999.

KZ Ballistic / Breaching Blanket

This is a very interesting thread topic...

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

You could build a sandbag bunker around your bed it's coat effective and practical,with gun ports in strategic places covering acess points
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by P7fanatic View Post
    You might want to take a look at bullet resistant Lexan or containment grade polycarbonate sheets.

Forget what it is called but when I remodeled by bathroom, I used a cement board for tile around the tub/shower that was a lot cheaper than plate steel. Can use regular tools to cut. Make up a single sheet test wall and put that between drywall and plywood. Would think it would stop most pistol rounds. How often have you heard of a BG bringing a rifle for a home invasion? If building a new home, it is much easier to plan and build a real safe / panic room. Let us know what you decided on. Good luck and don't forget the det-cord!

I seem to not be able to describe what it is I have thought about in this scenario. I realize that there are issues that could come up that this idea would not address but one of the longest time spans where my wife and I would be the most at risk is over night while sleeping. We have decided where in our bedroom we would try to get to as our last stand/call the cops position. While thinking about this position and the structures around it I thought it might be nice to improve the "cover" aspect with some creative home improvement. This would provide me with a fun home improvement/use of power tools project and might do some good if the worst happened.

Again, this is in a house that already exists. There is space inside the closet where I can add some material to try and block possible incoming toward our last stand spot. It will not bee seen in the main room, only from inside the closet. It also wont reduce the usable size of he closet appreciably. I must admit that in a forum such as this where people do actively think about their defense that this idea has met so much negative feedback. Do I expect to need this little extra defensive structure, no. Do I lie awake at night worrying about my safety, no. Am I proactively trying to make things better as i continue to educate myself on HD and SD, yes. If the project fails then so be it...at least I thought of something and tried it. I did not find much on this around the net, hence the posted query.

I have purchased some materials to make an initial prototype and hope to test the idea this week. I'll post some pics and a range report when I can.

There have been some very informative and helpful posts on this topic and I appreciate those. :-)

Cy

keep us posted. I am in almost the same scenario as you only ours is a master bath

I was able to build the prototype wall section today. It has two pieces of drywall to simulate the regular wall with 2x4s as spacers. Then there is plywood/sheet metal/plywood/sheet metal/plywood/plywood (I had an extra piece of plywood from what I bought and cut down so I tacked in on the end). I'll get some pics and post the results of .38 +p, 9mm gold dot and 12ga 00 hornady tap 2 3/4".

Its nice to have an outdoor range that is usually not occupied and out in the country where I can hopefully take this prototype and shoot it with the different rounds and see how it goes. At least its an excuse to go and shoot. Even my mom wants to go and see how it goes. Besides, it'll be her .38 anyway.

I hope to make it to the range sometime between Tuesday and Thursday this week.

Cy

OK, here is a link with pics showing he results of the test on the prototype. As you can see it was very successful. I was most surprised by the results for the 12ga.

Cyklopz

Cy

What thickness sheet metal was that exactly sir?
    TSgt. Lickey

It takes a college degree to break'em;
    and a high school education to fix'em!

Just get a dog and save the constuction money to get a new gun.
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

A1C, let me check as I don't remember but I think the pieces still have the sticker on them.

OK, its 16ga welding steel.

itschuck, I have two dogs. :)

Also, the total cost for what I want to do would not come close to buying another XD anyway. ;)

Cy

Good post Cyclopz!

I wonder what the results might be with a layer of the sheet metal in place directly behind the drywall as a first layer inlieu of plywood with a layer order of SPSPP.
    Also I wonder if the intermediate layering of plywood is even necessary such as a layer order of SSSP.

Also were the pistol rounds you used FMJ of JHP?
    As well I wonder how effective your or my proposed layering would be against .223.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I am " trailer trash " and not a thing in my home was bullet resistive . The word there is " Was " . when i re did the bathroom well the tub enclosure for the master bath developed 1/2" steel walls . When i re did a bedroom , well the closet developed 1/4 inch sheet steel walls with baffles instead of insulation . heck the door i put on a bathroom weighs more than the rest of it altogether . Of course it is my " hole up gun vault " , and strangly enough unless and untill the line is cut it has internet access lol .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Interesting thread. I am concerned in my house that if I need to shoot down our stairs at an intruder, I could put either my son or one of my daughters at risk. Their bedrooms might line up with a potential shot. But I could put something like this behind my son's headboard or my daughter's dresser and provide a fairly high level of protection.

This has to cost a lot less than lexan.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammurabi View Post
    That's not what this informal test shows.
    well,I for one liked your sand idea

Shows you what I know
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links