Building cover in the home - Page 4

Building cover in the home

This is a discussion on Building cover in the home within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Janq: I thought about how to laminate the layers for some time and finally went with what you see. I decided that It might be ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Janq: I thought about how to laminate the layers for some time and finally went with what you see. I decided that It might be best for the bullets to have something "soft" to enter before hitting the metal. Something to start reducing their energy etc. It would indeed be interesting to try other models, not sure if I will have time myself any time soon but maybe. It takes an hour to get to the outdoor range where I can test each model, not many shotgun approved ranges around here.

EDIT: Oh, forgot to reply - the rounds were all JHP for this test except the 12ga 00 buck.

If anyone else wants to try something similar I'm sure many of us would like to see the results! :)

Redneck, sounds like you are perpared...how much does all that steel weigh? First floor or second floor? My room is on the second floor.

Texas, while we do not have kids I was a little concerned about possible incoming as it seems so many BGs are more than willing to shoot first and think second no matter the circumstance. The plywood and metal laminate worked better than I thought it might and is not too expensive if you can put in your own labor. For me, it will be hidden inside a closet so won't show to the world anyway.

Cy

I know I come to this discussion late, and my suggestion does not help with a current home. That said, it has been my dream to build a steel reinforced concrete home using insulated concrete forms that stay in place. These have anywhere from 4-8 inches of rebar reinforced concrete in the exterior and interior walls. The home ends up costing 5% more than conventional wood frame construction but the savings in heating and cooling can be as much as 30% - and you end up with a termite proof, severe weather proof bunker of a house.

My next home will be steel and concrete!
    Kimber Pro CDP II

"Though defensive violence will always be 'a sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." St. Augustine A.D. 354-430

Just as a quick update I tested my idea using only 1 sheet of the plywood and 1 sheet of the metal with 1 more sheet of plywood (3 layers plus the two for the drywall). I only tested 147gr 9mm but it stopped that just fine.

Cy

+1 on the pets as a first line of defense....

First my dog will lay on it's back to be petted, either distracting the BG or tripping him, while at the same time my cat will start this awful meow/yelling & screeching sound cause he will want to be fed.

This will allow me ample time to grab my Sig 220 and begin negotiations

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    In my 32 yrs of construction, I have built and remodeled several banks and vaults. We typically add ballistic panels to the framing members then add standard 5/8" drywall over top, tape and finish as normal.

I have personally tested these ballistic panels with handgun calibers up to .44 mag and rifle calibers up to 30.06 and have had no penetration results. The stuff is incredible and very lightweight. Nobody could ever tell it was behind the drywall.

Steel plate or concrete would also work but both require a solid foundation to use.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Range

Those layers of plywood and steel look exactly like the ceiling baffles on the indoor range where I work. Of course, you're shooting them straight on and ours are at an angle. Ours are designed to break up a bullet and deflect the fragments into the plywood to contain them. From hat I've seen at the range, they hold up fine, and with the skills of some of our customers, they get tested a lot more than yours are likely too.

Good post.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links