Drive-Bys and moving attacks

This is a discussion on Drive-Bys and moving attacks within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Scenario...i am walking my sissie dog one night. i see a car approach me...headlights facing me so there is glare. the car approaches, the passenger ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Scenario...i am walking my sissie dog one night. i see a car approach me...headlights facing me so there is glare. the car approaches, the passenger window is down. next thing, bang bang...

i have always wondered how to handle a situation like this. Drive-bys happen out here...not often, but often enough to scare people.

i guess my instinct would be to drop to the ground at the first sign (preferably before the bang bang), draw and fire (if there is ill intent). what if i am unable to make out that it's a drive by due to lighting or the speed of the car?

Most thugs are not marksmen, but i do not want to take chances with that.

Would you open fire on the car? mind you, in this situation...i may or may not be in a populated area..

please discuss. i am eager to hear people's thoughts...
    Let's Roll - Todd Beamer

MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Open fire? Bangs may be scary, but I'd have to see where they are coming from before I shot back. I don't shoot at sounds while hunting either. KNOW your target.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

If you were at any range beyond contact, it would be a lottery winners luck to hit you. I'd haul butt in exactly the reverse direction as the way they're moving. If you're anything like me, my pups are my kids although they'd die to protect me and are big enough to easily kill (see Newfoundland Breed) but they're bred for water rescue. Super gentle, so my first thought is to protect them, lol. But most any dog is going to be below the line of fire as the bump-ity-bump of a vehicle in motion will have the tendency to move the gun upward instead of lower than the car window sill. No unless I could verify the driver is acting alone, I don't open fire. Unless of course the shooter decides to dismount the vehicle. In which case I'll own him.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
    Open fire? Bangs may be scary, but I'd have to see where they are coming from before I shot back. I don't shoot at sounds while hunting either. KNOW your target.
    i would never shoot if i didn't know/see my target. the hollywood mentality of emptying a mag in a fleeing car just wont cut it with me.

my dog would just want to play... he's useless. i'd rather be pushing a casket.
    Let's Roll - Todd Beamer

MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    Take cover.

Fire only if you have an identifiable, hittable and legally defensible target.

(and the actual armed assailant inside the moving vehicle probably ain't it as long as the vehicle keeps moving)

Quote Originally Posted by 762 View Post
    Scenario...i am walking my sissie dog one night. i see a car approach me...headlights facing me so there is glare. the car approaches, the passenger window is down. next thing, bang bang...

i have always wondered how to handle a situation like this. Drive-bys happen out here...not often, but often enough to scare people.

i guess my instinct would be to drop to the ground at the first sign (preferably before the bang bang), draw and fire (if there is ill intent). what if i am unable to make out that it's a drive by due to lighting or the speed of the car?

Most thugs are not marksmen, but i do not want to take chances with that.

Would you open fire on the car? mind you, in this situation...i may or may not be in a populated area..

please discuss. i am eager to hear people's thoughts...
    Change your life and quit walking in unknown territories at night, and avoid these possible situations altogether. Sorry---it just seems rather simple to me.

Administrator
    Remember that if somebody is already firing random multiples on you it's no matter if they are a crack marksman or not.
    If a shooter is spraying bullets in your direction any bullet that you get hit with hurts just as much and potentially kills the same.
    The projectile has no way of knowing if it was carefully aimed or not and it does not know that it should have missed because the person pulling the trigger is a bad shot.
    Having Lady Luck on your side is also a huge factor if bullets are flying up, down, right and left.
    So always put clean underwear on every day 'cause ya just never know if any given day is your day to say Bye Bye.

Should you return fire if possible?
    Absolutely as it's still an integral part of your best chance/option for staying alive.
    Most people tend to stop shooting while they are in the process of being shot at. They also always stop shooting if they are dead.
    Try to make sure that you carry in such a fashion that you can always gain very fast and immediate access to your self-defensive firearm.

MOVE...preferably toward good cover. If they're still a threat once you have found something solid to hide behind, shoot them.

Not getting shot is more important than shooting the other guy.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Administrator
    I think you're going to be hard pressed to do any shooting, concentrate on not getting shot. I really don't see how you are going to get any good shots in given the scenario.

Are you

A. Going to shoot as you are getting shot at?
    I say its doubtful, unless you are some sort of Hollywood super hero. I think you are taking far more risk doing that than just concentrating your efforts to getting out of the way.

B. Shoot back as the car is leaving? Good luck defending your actions on that one.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    This is actually a good reason to walk on the lefthand side of the road agianst traffic as the law says to do; I say this because you will have a better chance of seeing them creep up and also like ExSoldier mentioned you can cover more distance if you take off running the the opposite direction the car is headed... I'd run to cover and prepare for the worst incase they decided to turn around and dismount you would be prepared.

Also, as they are fleeing make a note of make and model and LP # (i know that's alot to ask for seeing as how you are in condition Red) so LEO can bust em.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

Avoid bad places. If you still become a target, move (at an angle) away from threat, and find cover. Before taking these walks, wear brown pants.

Stay armed...stay alert...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Sergeant Mac View Post
    Take cover.

Fire only if you have an identifiable, hittable and legally defensible target.

(and the actual armed assailant inside the moving vehicle probably ain't it as long as the vehicle keeps moving)
    Sound advice if ever I heard any!

That car keeps driving down the road... (which it probably will) I'm high tailing it outta there with my dog in tow.

Only time, I'm going to be shooting at a moving car that's popping loose caps out the window as they drive by is if the car stops to try and finish the job!

Other than that, I'm worried about finding cover and leaving the scene as soon as they move on down the road!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Change your life and quit walking in unknown territories at night, and avoid these possible situations altogether. Sorry---it just seems rather simple to me.
    key word(s) in my post was "scenario". i don't put myself in bad situations. this could happen to anyone, anywhere, anytime.
    Let's Roll - Todd Beamer

MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    I'm with SIXTO. This came up about a year or so ago and its a good question. The problem is three-fold.

First, by the time your gun is up, likely they are fleeing the scene. You are shooting at someone who is no longer a threat. It doesn't matter how amped you are or angry - they are leaving the scene. Its like shooting someone in the back. You would have to be shooting and returning fire while they are doing the same. Once they are leaving the scene? Good luck taking that to trial.

Second, background. You're shooting at a rapidly distancing target, under pressure, while probably moving yourself. You are accountable for every bullet that leaves that firearm. Including the one that goes into your neighbors bedroom.

Third, and I could be wrong on this but its what I was told. It is illegal to shoot a vehicle as a target. I'm not positive on this but I /know/ I've heard this before from someone. I'm not sure why it stuck in my head.

All-around bad idea. Don't even think about it. Just dive for cover and try to get a plate.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    If you're anything like me, my pups are my kids although they'd die to protect me and are big enough to easily kill (see Newfoundland Breed) ....
    Those arn't pups, thier livestock

On topic: It's already been said, know your target and your background. If I have ID'ed the threat in your scenario and I've got a shot, I'm taking it. Yahoo's like that want victims, not opponets.
    Movement and speed is life. The dog(s) would be released....holding onto a leash would not be a good idea in that situation.

If no clear target can be identified or no shot can be taken (i.e. vehicle is outbound at speed), then I'm moving for cover (if availiable), but moving I will. Present your sidearm but MOVE and do your best NOT to be a good target for them.

On a seperate thought, I have no issue shooting at or into a car if someone in that car is firing at me and I've got a shot and ID'ed the shooter. This is assuming he's still firing/pointing his firearm at me and I've got a shot. Chances are good the car is accelerating out of there so returning fire would be bad.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links