Defensive Carry banner

Slow to act: A tale of a night time intruder

2K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  FallenPhoenix 
#1 ·
First of all, I know I made some big tactical mistakes, along with some just plain dumb mistakes, but I believe I have learned from them. Now on to the story.

A few weeks ago, I was visiting my girlfriend and her family in the DFW area. They live outside of the city limits, yet in a well populated area. 3-5 acres of land per house is common in the area, but few if any neighbors behind and around, aside from those on the particular street. My girlfriend's house has about a 40'-50' (rough estimate) drive that curves a bit up to a garage and carport, my truck is parked outside of the garage in front of the house. It was about 0100, and me and my girlfriend were sitting on the tailgate of my truck talking (we lost track of time a bit) when a white late-model sedan turns onto the street (which is a cul-de-sac), drives in, turns around, and parks on the other side of the street about in front of the neighbors there. We are both aware of the car and watching due to the late hour, but initially assume nothing suspicious.

The occupant of the car (male in dark clothing) gets out, opens the trunk and rummages around for a few minutes before closing the trunk and walking towards the house he is parked in front of. At this point, I assume he is a visitor. We resume our conversation and I think nothing of it. I would say I was in condition greenish-yellow, about what I am in most of the time. Looking around, but not really anticipating danger, just aware. A few minutes later we hear the dogs at the base of the cul-de-sac barking. My girlfriend, bless her, goes to condition orange. At this point I should point out that no exterior lights were on. There is a floodlight above the garage, but we had neglected to turn it on or the porch light.

Not long after the dogs stop barking, we see a figure (the same male from the sedan) walking through the neighbor's yard which is not fenced in. He is walking half in a light that they have on their yard. At this point, we should have gone inside and notified the Sheriff. Mistake number 1 (at least). (note: The man has a flashlight which he is turning on for a few seconds, moving around the ground, then turning back off) The man walks back to the street, in front of my girlfriend's house and then through their gate and starts walking towards where we are sitting. At this point I finally get it through my thick skull that we should do something and place myself in front of my girlfriend and start to move her towards the door. At the same time I have my folder in my right hand at my side, for whatever good it will do if the guy is armed. As soon as I stand up, the intruder being a little under halfway to us from the gate, he stops and immediately turns around and goes back through the gate.

We go straight inside and notify the Sheriff, but the sedan is gone in that time. I must say I was impressed with the response, as two vehicles were there within 3-5 minutes and another pulled up as we are talking to the first deputy. We give our statement and they give the neighborhood a good looking over before heading back out.

The first thing that came to mind when I saw the intruder actually on the property is that I was unarmed aside from a small folder. If I had been armed, I believe this situation warranted drawing and confronting the individual, who was at this time, trespassing on private property in the middle of the night. My thought later was "thanks texas DPS" as it's been nearly 150 days since my check was cashed and still no license.

Critique, tear-apart, analyze, what have you. I know I made some serious mistakes and would like to hear any and all advice you have to offer. I'm still kicking myself for putting my girlfriend in that position in the first place, even more so for not getting her out of it at the first sign of suspicious activity.

See less See more
#2 ·
I think it just goes to show you that you never know when nor where something can happen that you need to be armed. I cannot fault you anywhere except that you are an armed person and you are aware . . . you just flubbed up a bit.

#10 ·
I think it just goes to show you that you never know when nor where something can happen that you need to be armed.
I think Tally XD pretty much says what needs to be said. You Never Know When or Where!

+1 almighty on suggesting having pistol in vehicle even without ccw permit.

Same in Missouri. Need to be 23 years old to obtain a ccw, but anyone age 21 & up can have a loaded concealed weapon in their vehicle. That was included in the ccw law when it was passed. It was a good addition!

#3 ·
Often times I will be taking out the trash at night just before bed in my quiet neighborhood and have to put on a proper pants so I can put my rig on. I sometimes hesitate to put the rig on. Reading your story reminds me why it's worth the extra time to carry my weapon even to the end of the driveway. You just never know when you'll need it.

#5 ·
Agreed! You never want to be part of the past before it's time. You control that option.

#6 ·
You've said it all yourself.

TX is a great place...you have the ability to defend both life and property.:hand10:

Hopefully, you'll have your CCW soon.

Stay armed...stay alert...stray safe!

#7 ·
You can carry a concealed or open carry on your own property or on personal property with permission of the owner,you can also carry a concealed handgun in your vehicle in Texas,no ccw just prevents you from being armed outside your property and vehicle in this state,you might wanta reconsider packing when sitting outside late at night

#11 ·
I was visiting my girlfriend and her family in the DFW area.

... "thanks texas DPS" as it's been nearly 150 days since my check was cashed and still no license.
In TX, are you not allowed to have a firearm at your residence, even if that's temporary (ie, hotel or visiting someone)? Elsewhere, you can do that even without a CHL.

#12 ·
You are totally wrong on that,In Texas you can have a concealed handgun in your vehicle,In your residence and cabn carry concealed or open carry on your own property,you can carry concealed from your home or business directly to your vehicle without a CHL but must conceal the gun in the vehicle once inside,A hotel room is just like your home

#15 ·
My largest concern with keeping a concealed handgun in my vehicle, is that many district attorneys have stated (houston for one) that they will prosecute anyone with an unlicensed handgun in their vehicle, regardless of the recent law. Given my anticipated career path, I would like to avoid any sort of public entanglement with the law, even if not conviction came of it.

I may have a discussion with the girlfriend's father about carrying on his property. He is retire military and pro-carry, but it's something I would definitely want to discuss before assuming.

Another thing I thought of shortly after the incident, is I need a good, small flashlight. Even if I were justified in shooting an intruder at night, I couldn't justify it to myself to fire without knowing who (more importantly who not) is in my sights.

I never thought I would be waiting this long for my CHL.

#16 ·
I never thought I would be waiting this long for my CHL.
If you just turned old enough to get you license that is one thing but I have been teaching these courses since they started and I am amazed out how people have been putting off getting a license for many years. Some of the excuses are just stupid. Now everyone is trying to get licensed because they are fearful the next election will stop CHL. Join the NRA or some other group and fight for your rights; everyone needs to be involved. Texas DPS is under staffed because less than 1% of this state is UN-licensed. You can't expect them (DPS) to pay a bunch of people to sit around hoping that people will wake up and get a license.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.