How do you prevent this?

This is a discussion on How do you prevent this? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Eileen Cobb had just parked at Coral Square Mall in Coral Springs when a robber hiding behind two cars surprised her. You pull into a ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you prevent this?

How do you prevent this?

Eileen Cobb had just parked at Coral Square Mall in Coral Springs when a robber hiding behind two cars surprised her.
    You pull into a parking lot - anywhere. Mall, grocery store, movie theater, apartment complex.....there are cars all around you. How do you know anyone's there? You can't see -- let alone saunter -- around and between all the vehicles. There is always a certain amount of inattention, even if it's just when you take your keys out of the ignition or grab your purse, lunch box, mail, or briefcase or toolbox. No one can swivel their head 360 degrees.

This is when I feel my most vulnerable -- getting out of my car.

What do you do?
    "I pledge allegiance to the war banner of the united states of Totalitaria. And to the Republic, which no longer stands, several bankers, who are now god, indivisible, with Bernanke bucks and credit for all."

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    Try cruising the lot before committing to a spot. However, I feel you are a bit too worried. Being aware is one thing, over worrying about every little detail will drive you nuts.
    realistically , no one is 100% aware all the time. It just doesn't happen. If you are in condition yellow most of the time you are doing fine.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I normally don't park around other vehicles. We normally park out from the store. The walking is good for you, and you don't burn up $3.75 a gallon gas waiting for a space up close.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

I would agree with Rocky in that you might be taking it a little too far, but I normally don't take the closest parking spot, and usually don't park right next to another car. Part of that is just because I don't mind walking, and its easier for me to park and get out of the parking lot if I am not surrounded by cars, but it does allow me to have some 'space' if somebody were to come out from behind of a car.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

First do a threat assessment. These attacks can happen anywhere, but you are at an elevated risk in certain parts of town at certain places in town, at certain times of day.

Really, day to day, I wouldn't worry about it. I would however be constantly in condition yellow. You should always be scanning. I think that when people generally say, "He came out of know where." What they should really be saying is, "I wasn't paying attention and that's probably why he picked me as a victim."

The fact that you are at least aware of the possibility of an attack at anytime will give you a fighting chance if an attack happens. It's when you are totally oblivious to the world around is when you will get overpowered easily.
    NRA Member

ALWAYS park near a light after dark so you can see what's going on around you. Take your time about getting out. This will allow you to get all your "stuff" together. ALWAYS have your weapon handy, in your purse, holster, belt, whatever. Immediately survey your surroundings when you get out of the car. Nobody will surprise you, they may approach you but there will be time to react. Some advice that a lawman gave to me a long time ago. "Don't look like a victim and you probably won't be one!"
    "From the sweet grass to the packing house we travel between the eternities."

I once was leaving a shopping area and walking across the parking lot to the car. I noticed a scumbaggy person paralleling me and watching me. When I looked directly at him he was disturbed and stopped, turned around and went the other way. I had my CCW on me. Awareness is the first defense.

+1, i don't consider my self paranoid or anything but i am definetly always in condition yellow. the funny thing is that i have been that way the majority of my life and it wasn't until recently that i discovered that there was a science and a color coded system to what i was doing. none the less when ever i pull into a parking lot no matter what time of day it is i always make sure to do a scan of my immediate area, i have avoided being caught off guard by bums asking for change as well as potential BG's this way. i guess my main point is just make sure u know whats going on around u.
    when I leave this Earth, It's gonna be on both feet; NEVER KNEES IN THE DIRT

VIP Member
    Don't forget that cars make good cover for you too. Parking lots aren't all bad.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Don't forget that cars make good cover for you too. Parking lots aren't all bad.
    To paraphrase, cover is, as cover does. I don't care if you have a fortified, bullet-proof station within 10 feet of you at any time. If you don't know you need it, you won't be there.

Sure, a car provides excellent cover, but generally, you will be at a disadvantage. Its the same reason LEO do not 'clear' an unfamiliar building without backup. The person hiding always has a huge advantage. They know you are coming, and you don't know where they are.

Sure a parking lot has advantages, but IMO, they are more than offset by the fact that you do not know if a BG is there or not, and the fact that he knows where you are coming from.

Put simply, you don't prepare for a threat you do not know exists, whereas the threat will always know that you exist.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Parking lots, especially at night are the most dangerous 'every day places' we visit.

That's why I like companies who allow their employees to carry. It's not the danger in the work place although that happens enough too, it's that walk to the parking lot when it's dark that I worry about.

I worked for a company whose world headquarters was in Detriot. In the early '70s they built a beautiful new HQ building with a huge employee parking lot the center of town (Cass & Woodward). The very first day they opened the new building, there were 3 muggings of employees in their parking lot. These muggings occurred before the work day began, in broad daylight.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

Always pay attention to your surroundings...Don't be in too big of a hurry whereas you’re not paying attention...Cell phone, grabbing items out or placing in the car...If someone is with you…have them keep and I out as well...My dad use to always tell me while walking to the store...not to trust his judgment when crossing the street ...I should look as well in case he missed something...

Good Luck and stay safe.

Quote Originally Posted by gilraen
    You pull into a parking lot - anywhere. Mall, grocery store, movie theater, apartment complex.....there are cars all around you. How do you know anyone's there? You can't see -- let alone saunter -- around and between all the vehicles. There is always a certain amount of inattention, even if it's just when you take your keys out of the ignition or grab your purse, lunch box, mail, or briefcase or toolbox. No one can swivel their head 360 degrees.

This is when I feel my most vulnerable -- getting out of my car.

What do you do?
    +1 on doing a threat assessment.

Do a drive through and scan parking lot before you settle on a place. Evaluate the area you are in, the lighting, people loitering around vehicles or sitting in parked vehicles. Ensure those standing by a vehicle are in fact loading their car from the store and not just hanging around without a purpose. Be sure and check the next isle over from the one you plan on parking. Thugs will loiter an isle or two away and then run up as you are parking.

You are already ahead of most in that you are concerned and possess an elevated sense of alertness, looking for trouble on the horizon.

Most people are totally and completely in condition white.( Victim-baahhh)

And that makes you stick out as more of a person who knows what's going on. ( Not a Victim!)

Have things ready to exit your car before you stop. Make sure you have your purse and items organized and close at hand.

Carry a can of OC spray!

When you park, grab your stuff... quick check in rearview mirror to ensure know one is trotting up behind you. Then Get Out and Get Going quickly.

Make sure your car is locked and get out in the open. Remote key chain door controls are really handy.

It is good to have a mini can of OC spray on the key chain so it is handy as you enter and exit your vehicle.

Trust your instincts.

Something doesn't feel right... don't stop there!

These above suggestions can be done without any undo paranoia or effort. Pretty much standard counter surveillance techniques on a basic level.

Like others have said... Don't get too wrapped up into feeling your going to be attacked at every parking experience.

Just develop some safety habits and you should be fine.

Of course, always have your gun with you! OC spray is usually for that unseen surprise you missed in your scan and when it's not tactically expedient to draw your gun.

It may not have a good effect on him, but it buys you some confusion on your attackers part and interrupts his OODA loop. He will hesitate a moment wondering if you are gonna squirt him again, thus allowing you to gain distance, get the upper hand, and go for your gun if needed.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I drive a 1 ton crew cab, long bed 4x4 F350 pick'em up truck, there is no way I can fit into parking lots where other cars are around. I tend to drive out a ways where I can take up two-three spots, plus I despise door dings, so I do the samething in my wifes Highlander. This also allows me to have a clear 360 degree view all the way around me.

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links