Defensive Carry banner

Really glad I had my .40

5K views 38 replies 34 participants last post by  paramedic70002 
#1 ·
Sunday night, I was driving home from Bend with my wife and daughter. My daughter being only 4, she can seldom go long periods without a bathroom break, so we carry an "emergency potty" in the cargo area of our Jeep. We were about a half hour from home, when she announced she had to go. I pulled over at the first likely place, a wide spot in the road where there was a small collection of stores. They look like they were last open about 30 years ago, before the spotted owl killed the logging in the area.

Anyhow, there are streetlights in this little section, but nothing else to speak of except the empty stores. I had my .357 in a smartcarry, and my glock .40 in the glovebox, where it rides on long trips if I am not driving. I hadn't moved it to it's usual place before starting the drive home. I had nearly gone to Bend with just the .357, considered adding the 9mm Kel Tec, and finally decided if I took two guns, one should have a high capacity magazine. But I digress...

I pulled over, and got the Glock from the glovebox, clipping the holster in my waistband. Figured I would stretch my legs and stand lookout, since it was nearly ten PM and we were in the middle of nowhere. I sortof hovered around the rear of the Jeep while my wife got the girl cub settled to do her business. I started hearing what seemed to be voices over from the direction of the abandoned shops, but couldn't make them out. The hair stood up on the back of my neck, and I could feel a tense calm settle over me as I tried to get my wife and daughter to stop talking...

About the time they did, from behind the buildings came a laugh/scream, like a hyena in human guise. From past experience, I would say whoever did it was tweaking pretty hard. My wife didn't have to be told at this point to get the kid in the rig and strap in. I made my way to the front of the Jeep and waited until my wife was in before I hopped in and hauled our posteriors out of there. About the time we passed the end of those buildings, I saw a group of four figures come from behind them, two of them with long objects in hand, couldn't tell what they were...

I just know I'd have had to shoot someone if we'd been a bit slower getting out of there, and the 16 rounds I had in the Glock didn't seem near enough while I waited to get into the Jeep. Sure glad I had the .40 in my waistband, though. I think I am gonna start carrying it more often again. Last night, my Kel-Tec didn't seem like nearly enough. The shakes set in about a mile down the road.

I DO NOT feel like doing that again anytime soon...really happy to not have it be any worse than it was....All in all, it went rather well...

Just wanted to share my experience, open to critique....

See less See more
#2 ·
Sometimes those type stops are unavoidable when you have small children. I think you did very well. You were alert and at the first sign of possible trouble, you got yourself and your family out of the danger zone. I can't see where you could have done it any better.:hand10:

#3 ·
Your mind can do the "what if" all day long, but you and your family got out with-out any problems, so what could be better? Most time when you have a situation that makes you glad that you have one of your CCW tools with you, it will very seldom seem "big enough".

Glad all is fine.

Z

#7 ·
I think you did exactly the right thing. I understand the feeling you got about not wanting to be under-gunned.....it happens when you are under pressure. One night here at my house, I heard a very suspicious noise, I quietly reached for my shotgun and lay there listening for more noises. I remember thinking how glad I was to defend ourselves with the shotgun, my nearby pistol seemed too inadequate at the time.

BTW you might consider phoning the local leo's about the "suspicious characters" hanging out behind the stores at night. They should be happy to pop in on them and keep 'em flushed out; you can bet they're up to no good.

#9 ·
Way to stay alert. :hand10:

I'm an advocate for multiple gun carry as well as a flashlight. I carry a Surefire E2E in my weakside pocket and I've used it more than the gun. In fact, I used it in a situation similar to your's last week, only it involved two unidentified teenagers in front of my home at 0200 HRS and I was used pulling in, (reasonably long story).

Only other thing I'd suggest is a reload for the "Primary" gun at a minimum.

Biker :palmier:

#10 ·
Maybe next time stopping at a well lighted fast food joint or gas station might be a better idea? Glad y'all are okay.
That would have been my first choice, but the sign leaving town says, "Last gas for 70 miles", and that's the truth. There is nothing between Sweet Home and Sisters except trees and more trees. This is very nearly the only streetlight, in fact.

BTW you might consider phoning the local leo's about the "suspicious characters" hanging out behind the stores at night. They should be happy to pop in on them and keep 'em flushed out; you can bet they're up to no good.
Yeah, I'm friends with the local state trooper, I let him know, but it's not really State trooper jurisdiction unless something happens on the road. As for the Sherriff, it's on the border of two jurisdictions, sortof a "no man's land".

Only other thing I'd suggest is a reload for the "Primary" gun at a minimum.
You know, as I stood there waiting, I did wish I'd gotten the reload out of the glove box. I typically keep it on me, but I'd set it aside after being jabbed once to often that trip.

Thanks for the kind words, guys.

#12 ·
Fjolnirsson; Yeah said:
Yep, the BG's have figured that out too. Let both Sheriff's know about it, it'll be in one of their jurisdictions. If cooperative with each other, both of them could have their deputies stop by there anytime they're nearby. Be sure and tell them the day/time/exactly where type of stuff

#13 ·
I think you did well. I told my brother about your experience and he knows that stretch of road. It redefines "no man's" land! You did well and yes, next time you'll grab the extra magazine. Good job keeping everyone safe! :congrats:

#14 ·
Fjolnirsson,

Glad to hear that the avoidance strategy worked once again.

You said:

I pulled over at the first likely place, a wide spot in the road where there was a small collection of stores. They look like they were last open about 30 years ago, before the spotted owl killed the logging in the area.

Anyhow, there are streetlights in this little section, but nothing else to speak of except the empty stores.
Just to satisfy my curiosity, could you furnish a couple more details? The setup you describe sounds odd and vaguely creepy. Is the area residential at all - that is, are there houses close enough by that the people you heard could have filtered down from a neighborhood of some sort, of would they have had to drive there and park?

Did you see any cars parked anywhere besides your own?

How busy is this road at night, typically - lot of traffic, or nearly deserted?

ppkheat said:

Yep, the BG's have figured that out too. Let both Sheriff's know about it, it'll be in one of their jurisdictions.
Yes, indeed. I hope that you don't give up on making contact with the local authorities, not the Staties. I know nothing bad happened that you know of, but it's a good thing whenever the public lets the police know that they notice suspicious activity and are discomfited by it. It strengthens the partnership between us and the cops by showing we care, and I think it provides more motivation for them to step up their presence in the area.

#37 ·
Fjolnirsson,

Glad to hear that the avoidance strategy worked once again.

You said:

Just to satisfy my curiosity, could you furnish a couple more details? The setup you describe sounds odd and vaguely creepy. Is the area residential at all - that is, are there houses close enough by that the people you heard could have filtered down from a neighborhood of some sort, of would they have had to drive there and park?

Did you see any cars parked anywhere besides your own?

How busy is this road at night, typically - lot of traffic, or nearly deserted?

ppkheat said:

Yes, indeed. I hope that you don't give up on making contact with the local authorities, not the Staties. I know nothing bad happened that you know of, but it's a good thing whenever the public lets the police know that they notice suspicious activity and are discomfited by it. It strengthens the partnership between us and the cops by showing we care, and I think it provides more motivation for them to step up their presence in the area.
yes, what was this place just some stores that the loggers used to buy stuff at like a small abandoned ghost town?
maybe you and a lot of other good cc people should go there on a weekend in the middle of the day and have a bar-b-que .
sort of show the creeps everyone knows about them.
that's the type of thing i bet longrider would like to do.

:image119:

#15 ·
Actually my 1911 only has 8 rounds but with 2 extra mags I don't feel under gunned,my keltec holds 10+1.you did good, the only thing is when you left did you take a route that got you as far away from the buildings as possible to prevent somebody from running out in front of your vehicle as you left.Also in the future try to plan her potty breaks in better areas

#17 ·
Heh, if somebody were to run out in front of my vehicle in that situation, they'd have a real bad day, because I would not stop. Up and over, baby! :danceban:
For clarification, I was parked on the shoulder opposite the buildings, so they were a good 50 yards away, with an open field to the passenger side of the vehicle.

We do plan potty breaks to the extent possible, however, this particular stretch of road has a distinct lack of turnouts on the downhill side. I do know she'll pee in the seat before we stop there again....

#19 ·
well done i would of done the same thing in that situtation, when your back is up against the wall you are going to do what you have been tranning for. ' IT IS BETTER TO BE JUDGED BY 12 THAN CARRIED BY SIX " excuse my use of the caps but i am po when i read stuff like this glad it worked out for you and yours safely

#21 ·
Way to go.
You were at the least in condition yellow ramped up to orange in an instant. Better than starting in white!
Glad everything is fine.

#24 ·
Sounds like everything went well and I think it was managed correctly.

Sure there may have been a few things you could have done differently... but there always will be.

Bottom line is that you didn't do anything wrong!

Way to stay alert and good job on leaving immediately!

No reason to hang around to wait and see! Just get on your way and avoid any potential bad situations.

#25 ·
1) You kept you and yours safe.
2) You lived to tell about it.
3) You shared it with us. This is another lesson in the training file marked "Real Life Encounters."

#27 ·
Outstanding. You can take away your own lessons and a lot of comments on the caliber/capacity issue.

But really, what it comes down to is this: The best way to win a gunfight is to not go to one. You dusted-off at the right time. Given your position and situation? I think most of us would be hard-pressed to do anything else for our kids. Well done.

#29 ·
no critique here...darn fine job. I have little ones myself, and that was the best way to handle it...stand guard, and much easier to use that vehicle to get family out of there than it is to fight, shoot and kill 4+ scumbags...way to use your head, and think clearly...and +1 for the wife to act quickly.
Adrenaline is a strange duck...just think if you could bottle that and sell it...that is what caused the shakes afterward.
I have felt the same way about carrying my jframe at times..it is plenty of gun in most situations, but once in a while that hi-cap mag carries alot of comfort.
god bless you and your family

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.