Crazy man in my office - Page 3

Crazy man in my office

This is a discussion on Crazy man in my office within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I agree with advice to file a report, and let get the legal system primed. The restraining order seems worthy of consideration with some competent ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I agree with advice to file a report, and let get the legal system primed. The restraining order seems worthy of consideration with some competent legal adviser.

My dad's a 76 year-old retired LEO. He still lifts, runs, and could hand me my butt or at least make the outcome of any physical altercation pretty competitive.

A man wielding a knife is wielding a deadly weapon. If this fellow does have hand-to-hand or experience with a knife, he could kill you, weak or not. While I would avoid shooting him, I agree that going hand-to-knife would be absolutely foolish. That kind of overconfidence and underestimation is what gets dumb criminals killed all the time.
    "War necessarily brings with it some virtues, and great and heroic virtues too. What horrid creatures we men are, that we cannot be virtuous without murdering one another?" -John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by tngunner View Post
    when you take a life for any reason and you are of sound sain mind it will haunt you for the rest of your life.
    First off thank you for your service. In response to your post
    Absolutely right !! Right wrong or indifferent. When where or why makes no difference they will come back to visit. Still as you know never under estimate your enemy ESPECIALLY a crazy one. I have a bro who gave up racing motorcycles a few years ago at 72 because the broken bones take to long to heal at his age. Things are not always what they appear. I would not want to get in a knife fight with him even though I am 20 years his junior age. There is a reason that " Treachery Will Always Over Come Youth and Enthusiasm" is a cliche. Not to mention blood borne diseases. Is his craziness due to dementia due to AIDS? Still the fact remains shooting a human being is always the very last resort
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Quote Originally Posted by tngunner View Post
    Imho, If a frail 70 year old man is threatening me with a knife or fork and I am 100% positive I can take him, I would opt for the take down over taking a life anyday and would be willing to be wounded in the process. Being a veteran of Panama, and Iraq, when you take a life for any reason and you are of sound sain mind it will haunt you for the rest of your life. sorry.
    I am a little surprised about your comment of being a veteran and being haunted for the "rest of your life" for having to take a life. During my time in Vietnam while being shelled almost on a daily baisis on the DMZ in 1968, it was somewhat exhilerating to return the favor with enemy kills. For a time I thought it was just me, but I have not found a single Soldier/Marine who fought in those circumstances who had any regrets or haunts at all for killing the eneemy. However, today we could meet our former enemy, shake hands, and exchange old stories. See:
    Enemies No More

I think the difference is the enemy. I would have difficulty classifying a 70-year old insane man as the enemy, and I likely would have some regrets if I had to use deadly force on him. As dangerous as it might be, I would go to great lengths to use alternative means to abate the threat.

Quote Originally Posted by cwblanco View Post
    I am a little surprised about your comment of being a veteran and being haunted for the "rest of your life" for having to take a life. During my time in Vietnam while being shelled almost on a daily baisis on the DMZ in 1968, it was somewhat exhilerating to return the favor with enemy kills. For a time I thought it was just me, but I have not found a single Soldier/Marine who fought in those circumstances who had any regrets or haunts at all for killing the eneemy. However, today we could meet our former enemy, shake hands, and exchange old stories. See:
    Enemies No More

I think the difference is the enemy. I would have difficulty classifying a 70-year old insane man as the enemy, and I likely would have some regrets if I had to use deadly force on him. As dangerous as it might be, I would go to great lengths to use alternative means to abate the threat.
    I'm not a veteran, but I recently read a book called On Killing by Dave Grossman. He discusses why some people are or are not able to kill in combat. I don't like everything he says, but it's certainly a good read.

For sure make a police report. Don't wait until next time he shows up, do it now. Start the paper trail.

Then, next time he comes in, if he does, tell him he is banned from the property for life and if he comes back he will be charged with trespassing.

but for sure, make a police report now. a
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    i don't know what kind of office you run, but I run a chiropractic office as many already know. If this was a situation in my office, which I have had similar, I would tell the man that that sort of talk and behavior will not be tolerated, and he will be asked to leave. If that doesn't help then I inform him 911 will be called. My staff knows, that if I MENTION 911, they should be on the phone already to them. And even if the person leaves at that point, the police are still called.
    Just because we have permits, and carry a firearm for safety does not mean we should use it in all situations...crazy 70 year old or not. It is still a tool of last resort. Talk of a knife is a lot different than having one. Even with knife in hand, pulling your firearm and shooting him could be excessive force. With all the court and other issues, if I could disarm him or talk him down, I would before pulling my firearm and killing him.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Quote Originally Posted by snowdoctor View Post
    i don't know what kind of office you run, but I run a chiropractic office as many already know. If this was a situation in my office, which I have had similar, I would tell the man that that sort of talk and behavior will not be tolerated, and he will be asked to leave. If that doesn't help then I inform him 911 will be called. My staff knows, that if I MENTION 911, they should be on the phone already to them. And even if the person leaves at that point, the police are still called.
    Just because we have permits, and carry a firearm for safety does not mean we should use it in all situations...crazy 70 year old or not. It is still a tool of last resort. Talk of a knife is a lot different than having one. Even with knife in hand, pulling your firearm and shooting him could be excessive force. With all the court and other issues, if I could disarm him or talk him down, I would before pulling my firearm and killing him.
    +1 on that response. As I said earlier, I would opt to keep some obstacles between us if I could to slow down his path to harming me or others. I would also opt for OC spray if I feel it was appropriate.

Of course I would be using my experience to assess the threat and assess the subjects capabilities.

Obviously if he's a 70 year old retired Iron worker who still runs triathlons, I may have to resort to using my gun. But I do have other tools at my disposal and can think things through during a crisis. Hopefully that will keep both me and him alive.

However, that said... An immediate lethal threat is just that! The age of the assailant is of little consequence if the threat is immediate and unavoidable.

As we've discussed in other posts, a 12 year old child robbing you at gunpoint is just as capable of killing you as a 30 year old.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links