Motion lights and security

This is a discussion on Motion lights and security within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We came home a few years ago to find a car parked in the shadows of our yard. (I have a large home and yard) ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Motion lights and security

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar

Motion lights and security

We came home a few years ago to find a car parked in the shadows of our yard. (I have a large home and yard) We saw it just bofore it pulled out and sped off.
    Since then we've had motion lights installed and I think they are worth theri weight in Gold.

2. Remove Ads

Any particular type you would recommend?

I used High Pressure Sodium Dawn to Dusk lights on top of my garage when I lived in SoCal. It turns out I lived in such a safe city, the city government gave away these lights.

I was told that these lights are very efficient and cost effective to run which is why most cities use them as street lights. And they are very bright.

They cost around $40~$50 and the bulbs last for years! I installed one at my mothers house and it has lasted 4~5 years so far. :)

In my current house with a HOA, I installed an automatic switch that turns on the porch/garage lights on a timer. This makes the house always look occupied.
    Bitter and clinging to my guns and my religion.

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Yes,motion lights are great.One thing I will add is buy good quality!The sensors on the really cheap lights do not function all that well.

The Motion sensors I use send out a signal letting me know if someone is approaching my house. The outdoor units each have a small bright red light that indicates they have been activated. Most experienced BG's notice things like this. Knowing that they have been made and that some sort of alarm system has been activated will usually stop them from continuing.

If they decide to continue, the house also is totally protected (windows, doors and 100% interior coverage with motion sensors) with an alarm system.

The lights sound like something I will add to this system.

By the way the whole setup did NOT cost that much. I had it set up when my house was built but anyone who can use a screwdriver can do it for a few hundred dollars.

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    I wanted good quality and a better job than I can do so we had a Electrician do it. He put in the same he has at his house and office. These lights aren't on very often so then don't burn out.

My neighbor that really doesn't live there had them installed. I often sit out on my side porch on my off days till the wee hours of the morning sipping a few beers. I live out in the boonies. It's amazing how many critters and blowing tree branches set them off. One night I was bored with my FoxPro game caller, so decided to see if I could get near his house without setting any light off when he wasn't there. It was a lot easier than I even thought it would be. I got right up to his house. I told Bob and after a career in electronics, he stated he figured as much, but it'd scare away the idiots.
    I know there is a sensitity level being able to be set on the better models; but, remember that they are motion sensing. Bad guys with a half of a brain always check out a place.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

I've set up one on the alley entrance garage, parking area, back door of the garage, in the garage, house back door, and front door.

All bought at Home Depot, most of them are $20 units. All have adjustable sensors and timers. I have not had a problem with them yet.

All of them are set pretty sensitive, cats will trip them.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

I live in the country and Motion lights are the only way to go. More homes with lights that say on are broken into that homes with no lights, so any sense of security they provide is false.
    Due to increasing energy costs more people are just shutting them off. They also attract bugs galore, moths N mosquito's, another big minus.
    But the motion lights switch on and they think someone is watching and turned on the light, and being on only for a short period of time they tend to not attract the mass droves of flying insects at night. I also tend to use a lot of the low power lights, solar n LED low voltage systems, they will give just enough to not trip and light the area enough to tell what is there.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

motion lights are great at getting attention from bad guys. they move on to easier less doubtful targets.

Somewhere I wrote an article on home automation for the defensive minded. I'll search after I post, because I'm lazy like that (okay... it's here: http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...nded-long.html ).

What's really fun is to tie your motion sensors to a home automation system. The lights come on, a few random lights on the inside of the house come on, and the sprinklers come on, too.

Although it can be really obnoxious when you set that up and then walk outside and trip your own motion lights, get soaked by the sprinkler and the wife screams because the bedroom lights just came on while she was sleeping.
    The facts are indisputable. There is more data supporting the benefits of Conceal Carry than there is supporting global warming. If you choose ignorance, in light of all the evidence, in order to bolster your irrational fear of guns, you are a greater threat to society than any gun owner.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPR View Post
    Somewhere I wrote an article on home automation for the defensive minded. I'll search after I post, because I'm lazy like that (okay... it's here: http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...nded-long.html ).
    Great stuff. I did x10 some years ago. My x-wife had candle lights in every window in the house. She turned them on and then went to work the night shift. I ended up having to turn them off every night.

My laziness drove me to x10. I had the wireless remotes and programmed all candle lights on / off. and all on but in the living room (where the light reflected off TV).

I really should do a setup like you have. Just too lazy for the time being. Plus I would need to replace all the outlets w/ x10 outlets. (I only had the adapters you plug into regular outlets).

Also, I am interested in the sprinkler system you have. Wife #2 always wants me to water all the flowers on the deck and porch when she is gone or forgets.

What hardware and setup is required for watering potted flowers?

Quote Originally Posted by sojourner View Post
    Also, I am interested in the sprinkler system you have. Wife #2 always wants me to water all the flowers on the deck and porch when she is gone or forgets.

What hardware and setup is required for watering potted flowers?
    My whole sprinkler system is run off of an X-10 relay panel. Each zone has a unique X-10 address. The device is here: 16 Channel X-10 Relay Card at Creative Control Concepts

That relay board controls all my sprinkler zones, garage door, yard lighting, etc. Basically any low-voltage device is controlled by that. Otherwise the sprinkler system is no different than any other, you just don't use a timer, you run your wires to the X-10 relay board instead. That one did require some soldering and a basic understanding of very simple electrical theory, since I had to hardwire in a 24v transformer to power the sprinkler system.

Yard lighting works the same, since that's a 12v system, an external 12v transformer is used and the relays are use only to close the circuit and turn on the lights.

To get a bit back on topic, security wise... Everyone and their brothers dog has motion lights in my area. It's usually pretty obvious when you've tripped a motion light. Using X-10, you can create other "events" that take place when a motion sensor is tripped. So you turn on the light, but you can also tell it to wait 30 seconds and then start turning on lights in the home and play noises over the stereo to give the impression of moving occupants (or barking dogs, or whatever). You can be flexible about it so that it runs a different program if someone is home vs. if they are not.

Mine has changed a bit since my "X-10" writeup, largely due to unintended consequences (getting hit by my own sprinklers and such) and I'm trying to build a system that escalates its actions based on the depth of intrusion. It's an ongoing project that just takes a lot of experimenting (and a lot of patience from the wife).

The sprinklers were a big win for her -- since the whole thing, including drip lines to her plants, can be run via handheld remote. She loves showing it off for friends. If you want real detailed how-to stuff, read that link I posted first... and I'd be happy to help out, offer suggestions, tell you what equipment worked for me (and what didn't work), etc... Just PM me. Since it's really kind of DC off-topic.
    The facts are indisputable. There is more data supporting the benefits of Conceal Carry than there is supporting global warming. If you choose ignorance, in light of all the evidence, in order to bolster your irrational fear of guns, you are a greater threat to society than any gun owner.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPR View Post
    What's really fun is to tie your motion sensors to a home automation system. The lights come on, a few random lights on the inside of the house come on, and the sprinklers come on, too.
    A motion detector that tracks direction of motion-- if the object is moving in a direction to a front door or window, the light gets more intense (starting at maybe 40w for someone just passing by to 500w for someone who makes it all the way to your front door). And maybe a special sprinkler that tracks vector motion, so the presumed BG gets a spritz of florescent dye or chemical skunk odor if they get into an inner protected zone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links