First encounter while carrying... - Page 2

First encounter while carrying...

This is a discussion on First encounter while carrying... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; nobody at Wal Mart ever actually 'returns' their carts to anywhere do they? If you ever go to a Wal Mart around here and there ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: First encounter while carrying...

nobody at Wal Mart ever actually 'returns' their carts to anywhere do they?
    If you ever go to a Wal Mart around here and there is one cart where it suppose to be,,,, I was there. LOL!!!

I put it in it's proper place. I have even given people the LOOK and they also push the cart where it suppose to go.

Glad everything worked out for you and be safe out there.

""In situations like these I find that most street folk don't react at all to normal "civilized" commentary. To get your message to sink into their head and make them pay attention you have to inject some of their own verbiage into your instructions: STOP! GET the [edited] away from me! Please s'cuse my french there, but it is necessary to the response. Use of that kind of language by PREY seems to cut thru the fog of concentration on the task of law breaking. That truly will put him off his stride, especially if his intended victim is female.""

I remember one of the first times I took my wife out on a date to NYC, where I worked for many years-on the docks-the twin towers and several other areas I would prefer to forget.

She almost fainted when I responded to the numerous street debris that accosted us as we walked around the village and needle park with a short but not too sweet GET THE [edited] OUT OF MY FACE.

I felt that if any dirtbag was going to persue the issue after that, It was going to happen anyway so why not get it over with as soon as possible.

I'm sure that now in my sixties and not having worked lugging iron and cable for 8 -10 hours a day my response would be different but then that was a different day and a long time ago.

Oh yeah, now I carry a friend with me, at my side 24/7 and avoid like the plague going where the hair on the back of my neck (what little there is left) starts to stand up.
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; August 20th, 2008 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Deleted 2 language workarounds.

If you let someone within easy reach of you, I'm convinced you've already lost the initiative. Remember, action ALWAYS beats reaction, especially up close. When someone is within touching distance, I assert you need to regain the initiative.

You can certainly do that by forcefully/loudly saying something like, "STOP! Get away from me!" while creating distance in a safe direction.

I think the situation you described is a good example of why many choose to carry a less-than-lethal implement of some kind (OC spray comes to mind), and deploying a chemical weapon might have been warranted as long as you know what you're doing (distance, dispersal, etc.).

Ultimately, it's crucial you keep some distance between yourself and someone who raises the hair on the back of your neck. At the same time, realize it's impossible to maintain that same distance from every single person in public.

Your spidey-senses really need to be tuned in to what's going on around you. The first two steps in the OODA loop are Observe and Orient; if you aren't paying attention to what's going on around you, you're going to lose the initiative which allows you to jump into the OODA loop on YOUR terms, not the adversary's. Fighting on your terms will almost certainly give you a better outcome than fighting on his.

HTH, YMMV, and all that ...

Thumbs up Happened to me...

Hey ya'll... first post...

This happened to me couple of weeks ago. Pulled into a Walmart. Had already scanned the area. Nothing. Parked. Cracked the door... slid out... just as my foot hits the ground... guy's standing 10 feet out from the door... and asks (mumbles) politely for some money.

I was so startled... that my hand went to my 9mm concealed on my right hip... and at the same moment I just about screemed...
    ...NO!!...

Scared him, and myself actually! But, boy, was it effective. He backed off and moved off to an old Firebird, got in and left.

Good news... I reacted well. Bad news... took about 15 minutes to calm down.

Ranger Rick :)

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Welcome, Ranger Rick! Probably taking 15 minutes to calm down is normal, I should think. You did well.

Though before I read the next line I thought you cleared leather and screamed like a teenage girl at a horror movie: that would certainly work to get me moving if I were nearby!

cj
    As many said, there are times when civility and politeness can go out the window. As others mentioned, a loud 'STOP' (I prefer to put the off-hand out palm-out in the universal 'stop' indicator to clarify the instruction') and give them a good look in the eyes.

Many people are so concerned with being polite and non-confrontational that this type frequently gets in close where they want to be, whether to confront, or simply make someone uncomfortable enough to grab a handful of money to shove at them, just to make them go away. Sternness lets them know that you're not one of those sheep, and the stare lets them know that you see exactly who they are (and could give more of a description than "Umm, he was shaggy and had a knife" if the confrontation escalates).

"Be nice. Be polite. Have a plan to kill everyone you see." Being nice does NOT include letting someone who makes you uncomfortable get close to you.

All good post's, and i thank you guys for your input.

agreed. that i let this guy get way too close...however.

It suck's to be me in these situations because I'm kinda "semi-famous" and don't want to be a jerk to sombody just trying to say "Hi".
    I thoroughly disapprove of duels.
    If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand
    and lead him to a quiet place and kill him.
    -Mark Twain

Thanks for the link on the kerambit, but the $13.00 shipping charge is way too steep for a $9.00 piece of plastic.

Quote Originally Posted by rmxer85 View Post

It suck's to be me in these situations because I'm kinda "semi-famous" and don't want to be a jerk to sombody just trying to say "Hi".
    Explain what semi-famous means!!!! Just curious thats all!!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cj View Post
    As many said, there are times when civility and politeness can go out the window. As others mentioned, a loud 'STOP' (I prefer to put the off-hand out palm-out in the universal 'stop' indicator to clarify the instruction') and give them a good look in the eyes.

Many people are so concerned with being polite and non-confrontational that this type frequently gets in close where they want to be, whether to confront, or simply make someone uncomfortable enough to grab a handful of money to shove at them, just to make them go away. Sternness lets them know that you're not one of those sheep, and the stare lets them know that you see exactly who they are (and could give more of a description than "Umm, he was shaggy and had a knife" if the confrontation escalates).

"Be nice. Be polite. Have a plan to kill everyone you see." Being nice does NOT include letting someone who makes you uncomfortable get close to you.
    +1 Sunday afternoon, daylight, lots of people around and I just walked out of Bass Pro Shop and got to my SUV, while I was opening the back hatch I caught a glimpse of a guy making a beeline for me. I turned and faced him before he got too close, put my hand out and told him firmly, "get back, back up, stay away from me" He stopped instantly while I was staring at him. He said, "yes sir, yes sir" backed away and went on about his business.....whatever that happened to be. I don't know what he wanted, though I can imagine, I just didn't let the conversation get to that. As I got in my car I noticed an extended cab truck nearby and the people inside all had smiles on their faces, I guess they happened to watch the whole thing.

Certainly not a big deal, but shows what can happen in broad daylight with plenty of people around.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Glad Ranger Rick's on our side!

"NO!" Haha. I actually gave an illegal the 50 cents he asked for to buy a beer tonight at the convenience store. Never done it before, probably won't for a while, just felt kind I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by rmxer85 View Post

Perhaps he just wanted your autograph.

Perfect.

Carry pepper spray?

Ok... we all know you let him get too close before noticing him.

All I'll say is, that can happen to all of us.

Since I work on an ambulance, and these days, in a small town, I have people coming up to me all the time whom I have no idea who they are. Some of them I recognize as people I've run before, but not all of them. I never had the problem when I worked in KC but now that I'm in a small town, it happens.

I do try to keep an eye on everyone who approaches me, but sometimes a few get by.

What you did correct was (1) You reacted as soon as you perceived something you didn't like. (2) You kept your weak side towards the threat as you did your best to create distance. (3) You were reaching for your gun should you have needed it. (4) You let him know that you had nothing for him in a way that let him know there was no need to continue a conversation.

Those were all good things to do in that given circumstance.

A couple of things to work on in the future. (1) Work on being more alert to people approaching you. (2) You may have been able to place an obstacle between the two of you. Your cart if you were still in possession of it, or the "cart rack" if you were still close enough to it. (3) You may have already had some OC in your hand at the ready. I keep a keychain can of OC in my pocket. I am constantly grabbing it and keeping it handy when in questionable areas, like pushing the cart back to the cart rack.

Be careful trying to go for a less lethal option like OC spray if they are already on you before you noticed. At that point, should things go bad, you want to go straight to the gun and don't want to be distracted by worrying about getting the OC spray out of your pocket.

These are just some of my tactics... I don't do that all the time as I frequently change things up a bit. Also just my opinions...

They may or may not apply to you or your circumstances. Remember that complacency kills, and that it is way too easy to be complacent at any given moment while living our relatively uneventful lives.

YMMV.

All in all, you did pretty well once you realized you were in a potentially bad situation.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    +1 Sunday afternoon, daylight, lots of people around and I just walked out of Bass Pro Shop and got to my SUV, while I was opening the back hatch I caught a glimpse of a guy making a beeline for me. I turned and faced him before he got too close, put my hand out and told him firmly, "get back, back up, stay away from me" He stopped instantly while I was staring at him. He said, "yes sir, yes sir" backed away and went on about his business.....whatever that happened to be. I don't know what he wanted, though I can imagine, I just didn't let the conversation get to that. As I got in my car I noticed an extended cab truck nearby and the people inside all had smiles on their faces, I guess they happened to watch the whole thing.

Certainly not a big deal, but shows what can happen in broad daylight with plenty of people around.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links