First encounter while carrying...

This is a discussion on First encounter while carrying... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Kinda dissapointed with myself... The wife and I were walking out of the local Walmart, the wife was already in the car as i was ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First encounter while carrying...

First encounter while carrying...

Kinda dissapointed with myself...

The wife and I were walking out of the local Walmart, the wife was already in the car as i was returning the cart. When I was approached by a large man (I'm 6'1" and he was way over me) saying:

"hey buddy whats your name?"

"why?" i said back

he was about 20 feet away at that point and a lot of people know me around here so i wasn't tripped into any kind of defensive thought yet

then he mumbled somthing about being low on gas and started moving in my direction.

now switches are flippin' like crazy in my head.

(he got way too close before i decided to start backing away.)

I said "sorry man but i can't help you"

(At this point I'm kicking myself cause now this guy is within arms reach of me.)

I was now fully backing away with my weak side elbow practically in this guys chest and my other hand with my thumb hooked under my shirt just above my gun, when the guy just says

"Ok, man" and walked away.

what would you have done?
    remember that a lot of people know me that i have never met before?
    I thoroughly disapprove of duels.
    If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand
    and lead him to a quiet place and kill him.
    -Mark Twain

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by rmxer85 View Post
    "hey buddy whats your name?"
    Ugh, WalMart again.

An opening line like he gave you instantly sends my flags up and puts me in a defensive groove. I prefer a reply of "what's it to you" to show I am willing to challenge and counter his questions and actions. All in all I think you did well, keep the awareness up even in a crowd.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Anybody with an approach like that sends my alarms into red alert mode. I might reply with: "Depends on who's asking..." and spin it back on him. I durn sure would put myself between him and my wife and I durn sure would put myself in a balanced position ready to react as necessary. That doesn't exactly or necessarily mean a drawn firearm. It might be a lower level reaction like a stun device I sometimes carry or an Impact Kerambit. See here: IMPACT KERAMBIT - SHOMER-TEC
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

My daughter says.. I have a "look" I give ... that instantly warns people to back off... and it works. So, people don't tend to get that close if I'm not wanting them to. LOL.

Wink "Dad" look is issued by God....

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    My daughter says.. I have a "look" I give ... that instantly warns people to back off... and it works. So, people don't tend to get that close if I'm not wanting them to. LOL.
    All Dad's have that "LOOK." It's issued by God when you become a father. I've got it and another version too which I call my "teacher" look. Perfected over a 20 year career it seems to have the quality of quieting a room full of high school students once I flick the switch into the "ON" position. I guess I'll find out tomorrow if I've still got the knack, since it's the first day back at work after the summer vacation. We had 2 extra days off thanks to Tropical Storm FAY.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    All Dad's have that "LOOK." It's issued by God when you become a father. I've got it and another version too which I call my "teacher" look. Perfected over a 20 year career it seems to have the quality of quieting a room full of high school students once I flick the switch into the "ON" position. I guess I'll find out tomorrow if I've still got the knack, since it's the first day back at work after the summer vacation. We had 2 extra days off thanks to Tropical Storm FAY.
    Heck - you probably refined it over the summer!

Funny you mention the "Dad" look. That'll stop a lot of folks, 'cause they usually (in the old days) had it used on them more than once.

Have a good beginning to the semester too!

That sounds pretty nerve-racking.
    A few years ago, when I knew a lot more than I do now, I was cutting through the parking lot of a "Race Track" gas station (the cheapest, crappiest place to get gas in town) with my windows rolled down. A guy kinda flags me down and asks if I can "help put some gas" in his truck. Being a complete smart aleck (this trait has not entirely abandoned me, but hopefully reasonable absconded itself), I say "Sure!" and park my car. I walked up to him and instructed him to pull up into a pump. At the pump, I said "okay here's what you do: Open the gas cap and put this nozzle into the tank, then pick what kind of gas you want. See? Easy as that!"

Not bright, and I'm glad I'm still around to giggle about that one, but in a time of economic struggle across the nation, who in the heck did he think he was asking a teenager to pay for fuel for his panel van?

Dumb story aside, glad you're okay!

WalMart is a magnet for dirtbags...I try to avoid that place.

You learned something and will probably have a more aggressive "No!" next time.

Stay armed...just be aware...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Isn't that the truth. My daughter asks me not to put on my "Dad face" when she has her boyfriend over. So I try, usually I do not succeed but then, her boyfriend and I have already had a talk and he is under not illusions what fate may befall him if he does anything that is off limits.

Walmart is in fact a magnet for scumbags. It's amazing. The last time any dirtbag tried the old "I'm just passing through blah blah, down on my luck blah blah, just need a couple bucks for gas" BS routine on me was in a Walmart parking lot.

Always be in a heightened level of awareness there. Next time, don't let the dirtbag get so close to you. Say in a very loud and authoritative voice "STOP! DO NOT COME ANY CLOSER TO ME!!" That always throws them off balance.

Then, go around them to your vehicle.

I assume your wife does not carry. My wife does and she always watches the area while I load the car and return the cart and such. We are each others back up.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Talking +1!

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    Isn't that the truth. My daughter asks me not to put on my "Dad face" when she has her boyfriend over. So I try, usually I do not succeed but then, her boyfriend and I have already had a talk and he is under not illusions what fate may befall him if he does anything that is off limits.
    When my daughter was in high school she had this group of boys & girls over and they were listening to tunes in her room. My rule for these times was always an OPEN DOOR. Once I passed by on the way from the kitchen to my den and saw some little punk half splayed over my daughter's bottom as she looked under the bed for something. I was later told that the look I gave was a COMBO "TEACHER" & "DAD" look. The kid noticed and sprinted for the front door, never to be seen again. He said at school the next day he felt as if he had but seconds to remain among the living. I tell you, I never said a word!

I used to hand these out when my daughter first started dating & a buddy of mine had them enlarged and put on a billboard he put inside the front door to his home!

TEN RULES
    FOR
    DATING MY DAUGHTER

Rule One:
    If you pull into my driveway and honk you'd better be delivering a package, because you're sure not picking anything up.

Rule Two:
    You do not touch my daughter in front of me. You may glance at her, so long as you do not peer at anything below her neck. If you cannot keep your eyes or hands off of my daughter's body, I will remove them.

Rule Three:
    I am aware that it is considered fashionable for boys your age to wear their trousers so loose that they appear to be falling off. Still, I want to be fair and open minded about this issue, so I propose this compromise: You may come to the door with your underwear showing and your pants ten sizes too big, and I will not object. However, to ensure that your clothes do not, in fact, come off during your date with my daughter, I will use my electric nail gun and fasten your trousers securely to your waist.

Rule Four:
    I'm sure you've been told that in today's world, sex without utilizing a "barrier method" of some kind can kill you. Let me elaborate, when it comes to sex, I am the barrier, and I will kill you.

Rule Five:
    In order for us to get to know each other, we should talk about sports, politics, and other issues of the day. Please do not do this. The only information I require from you is an indication of when you expect to have my daughter safely back at my house, and the only word I need from you on this subject is "early."

Rule Six:
    I have no doubt you are a popular fellow, with many opportunities to date other girls. This is fine with me as long as it is okay with my daughter. Otherwise, once you have gone out with my little girl, you will continue to date no one but her until she is finished with you.
    If you make her cry, I will make you cry.

Rule Seven:
    As you stand in my front hallway, waiting for my daughter to appear, and more than an hour goes by, do not sigh and fidget. If you want to be on time for the movie, you should not be dating. My daughter is putting on her makeup, a process that can take longer than painting the Golden Gate Bridge. Instead of just standing there, why don't you do something useful, like changing the oil in my car?

Rule Eight:
    The following places are not appropriate for a date with my daughter: Places where there are beds, sofas, or anything softer than a wooden stool. Places where there are no parents, policemen, or nuns within eyesight. Places where there is darkness. Places where there is dancing, holding hands, or happiness. Places where the ambient temperature is warm enough for my daughter to wear shorts, tank tops, midriff T-shirts, or anything other than overalls, a sweater, and a goose down parka zipped up to her throat. Movies with a strong romantic or sexual theme are to be avoided; movies which features chain saws are okay. Hockey games are okay. Old folks homes are better.

Rule Nine:
    Do not lie to me. I may appear to be a potbellied, balding, middle-aged, dimwitted has-been. But on issues relating to my daughter, I am the all-knowing, merciless god of your universe. If I ask you where you are going and with whom, you have one chance to tell me the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. I have a shotgun, a shovel, and live near the Everglades. Do not trifle with me.

Rule Ten:
    Be afraid. Be very afraid. It takes very little for me to mistake the sound of your car in the driveway for a chopper coming in over a rice paddy outside of Hanoi. When my Agent Orange starts acting up, the voices in my head frequently tell me to clean the guns as I wait for you to bring my daughter home. As soon as you pull into the driveway you should exit your car with both hands in plain sight. Speak the perimeter password, announce in a clear voice that you have brought my daughter home safely and early, then return to your car - there is no need for you to come inside. The camouflaged face watching you from the window is mine.

Daughter rules :)

I just read these to my daughter..she is kinda laughing ...but I'm cracking up!!!!

The wife and I were walking out of the local Walmart, the wife was already in the car as i was returning the cart. When I was approached by a large man (I'm 6'1" and he was way over me) saying:
    You don't reckon that shopping cart (rolling blockade) would have had any effect battering below the knees would ya? I mean...nobody at Wal Mart ever actually 'returns' their carts to anywhere do they?

remmember do not let anyone get into your space thats about a 7 foot distance around you

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    Next time, don't let the dirtbag get so close to you. Say in a very loud and authoritative voice "STOP! DO NOT COME ANY CLOSER TO ME!!" That always throws them off balance.
    In situations like these I find that most street folk don't react at all to normal "civilized" commentary. To get your message to sink into their head and make them pay attention you have to inject some of their own verbiage into your instructions: STOP! GET the [edited] away from me! Please s'cuse my french there, but it is necessary to the response. Use of that kind of language by PREY seems to cut thru the fog of concentration on the task of law breaking. That truly will put him off his stride, especially if his intended victim is female.
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; August 20th, 2008 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Deleted a language workaround.

VIP Member
    All Dad's have that "LOOK." It's issued by God when you become a father. I've got it and another version too which I call my "teacher" look.
    I'd never really thought about a "dad look". Both of my kids are grown now, but they still talk about me having "laser eyes" when they were younger. They were pretty sure it scorched them.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links