Three Armed Men Rob Bank - how do you react? - Page 2

Three Armed Men Rob Bank - how do you react?

This is a discussion on Three Armed Men Rob Bank - how do you react? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; No future in starting something you can't finish. Lets say that you were so good and so quick that you actually engaged them and won. ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Senior Moderator
    No future in starting something you can't finish.

Lets say that you were so good and so quick that you actually engaged them and won. How many rounds later? Where did they all go? How many people other than BG's are down?

If ANY one gets hit, it will be a long protracted legal battle that would cost you big bucks when you got sued by the families of those you were trying to protect. If a bystander did by chance get killed, would it have been worth it?

Consider also that the whole incident would be recorded. The decision that took you seconds to act on, would be dissected piece by piece for months and rehashed over and over by experts and jurors.

It could be argued forever that you started the shooting. Like I said, there is absolutely NO future in starting something like this.

Now, if one of them starts shooting ,you do what you must do, but this is a scenario where it is better to react than to act.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    No future in starting something you can't finish.

Lets say that you were so good and so quick that you actually engaged them and won. How many rounds later? Where did they all go? How many people other than BG's are down?

If ANY one gets hit, it will be a long protracted legal battle that would cost you big bucks when you got sued by the families of those you were trying to protect. If a bystander did by chance get killed, would it have been worth it?

Consider also that the whole incident would be recorded. The decision that took you seconds to act on, would be dissected piece by piece for months and rehashed over and over by experts and jurors.

It could be argued forever that you started the shooting. Like I said, there is absolutely NO future in starting something like this.

Now, if one of them starts shooting ,you do what you must do, but this is a scenario where it is better to react than to act.
    +1 As long as they are only after money just let them go and be a good witness,odds are not in your favor and you start playing cop and start a gunfight where innocent people get killed you will be in trouble even if you beat any criminal charges they may bring such as negligence,the civil lawsuits would bankrupt you
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    No other thoughts, as I think you're on the right track.

As long as people aren't being shot, don't force a gunfight in a crowded environment. There are no real life Rambos. The odds are stacked against you by too great a margin IMHO, unless you are a "certified mall ninja".

I'm not a mall ninja, so I'll let the robbery go down and try to be a good witness.

Biker
    +1

He said it better than I could
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Quote Originally Posted by sojourner View Post
    If you read the story to the link I posted, you will see a situation like the one you described.

Thanks for posting that link... I'll definitely add that to my reference list.

But definitely out of the norm for a bank robbery.

Most definitely a situation for armed CCW holder to start shooting in defense, which I'm always prepared to do.

I'm just not going to be the one who initiates the gunfire. My gun is gonna stay silent until the robbers start shooting first.

I'm definitely saving that link. I was pretty sure someone would come up with a case like that, I just didn't recall hearing of a case like that.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I lived in central Jersey back in 1986 and remember the D-Day Massacre.

3:1 is bad, in fact 1:1 is bad if the BG has the drop on you. If it gets to the point where you know that you and/or others are gonna die, then you have to give it a try.

Always gonna be looking for an opportunity to ambush/surprise the BG(s).

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post

Most definitely a situation for armed CCW holder to start shooting in defense, which I'm always prepared to do.

I'm just not going to be the one who initiates the gunfire. My gun is gonna stay silent until the robbers start shooting first.

I'm definitely saving that link. I was pretty sure someone would come up with a case like that, I just didn't recall hearing of a case like that.
    I hear you Bark'n, especially in a 3:1 but the rules of self defense allow you to strike the first blow if you (not a reasonable person, you) feel that an attack is imminent. I'm gonna be lookin to strike that first blow if somebody has a gun on me.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

I think some of you are trusting too much to the rationality and good will of the robbers involved.

We see robberies on TV all the time where people complied and were shot, anyway. We have no shortage of cases where robbers shot first before even making a money demand.

Maybe doing nothing will be the best strategy...maybe.

I am no rambo, secret squirrel wanna be and hope to never be in that situation. I brought up that scenario because it happened a few miles up the road from me and it can be used as at least one example where murder was on the mind of the bank robber.

I thought it would be good reading for everyone who does not initiate shooting to be completely ready for problems and to not be hoping for a peaceful resolution.

Regards,

My first reaction in a case of 3 armed robbers with guns drawn would be to pray. As a last resort would be to pull my gun and start shooting. I don't know about the rest of you but I have serious doubts that I could get all three of them before one of the got me. If forced to I would do my best but hopefully it will turn out like the case linked where no one got hurt.

One thing to bear in mind.... They almost ALWAYS have everyone get down on the ground and lie flat....

So if that's your line in the sand... You're almost certain to have a gunfight which lots of innocents are going to get hurt or killed.
    Let me clear something up. When I get hearded into the backroom and told to lie down and things are not going to get better. The OMG factor kicked to 10. It is on. Until then I am just another customer minding my own business. Not looking for a fight. Live to tell the details. Alive witness=good Dead body=bad.

You could pull your CCW badge and use it to deflect any bullets from the BG's gun. OR DUN De DUN pull out the secret mall ninja mask and go to town. BG's know it is impossible to defeat a mall ninja.

I agree that being ordered face-down in the main area is probably typical for that kind of guns-drawn robbery; the herding to the back would be, uh, disconcerting, to say the least...

The only positive I can think is that if they order everyone down, it'll probably reduce the chances of a stray bullet killing an innocent.

All the same, until I feel pretty confident they are going to kill someone, or I somehow find a magical moment where I am confident I can take down three very quickly (which simply won't happen), I'm staying put. Again, situational.
    "War necessarily brings with it some virtues, and great and heroic virtues too. What horrid creatures we men are, that we cannot be virtuous without murdering one another?" -John Adams

Three? I don't know. It might be suicide to start shooting.
    That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about a hundred and nine, ninety five. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. You got that?

http://www.nevadashooters.com

Quote Originally Posted by TravisABQ View Post
    I think some of you are trusting too much to the rationality and good will of the robbers involved.

We see robberies on TV all the time where people complied and were shot, anyway. We have no shortage of cases where robbers shot first before even making a money demand.

Maybe doing nothing will be the best strategy...maybe.
    Every situation is unique,unless they start shooting first or I feel we will be herded into a room and executed I'm not escalating the situation.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Administrator
    If they want to rob the bank and take the money that's fine with me.
    I sure won't ever protect the banks money.

But, Nope...I'm not laying face down on the floor.

I don't expect to live forever and I'm personally not ever going out "execution style" from this world.

I don't think I want to be face down on the floor and start fighting for my life once I hear the first gun shot.

What if I'm laying "face down" and kissing the bank floor and the first gun shot is my head?

No Thanks.

I'll take my chances with myself over the gunfighting skills of desperate, nervous, crack heads.

And that's all I say about that.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member
    Always a ton of variables in these situations. Do all 3 BG's have NAA mini revolvers or 3 12ga. pump guns???? Do they have their faces covered, or if you can ID them will they leave no witnesses????

If 2 of the robbers are heading for the door and the 3rd makes you lay on the floor does your chances of leaving alive increase verses having a 3 BG.s standing over you and the rest of the customers while they tell you to lay down.

I know my limitations, and 1 on 1 is doable, 2 on 1 maybe, but 3 on 1----I'm about to have a very very bad day. I would probably stand a better chance of playing opossum vs taking on 3 bg's

I hope I never see a situation like that play out for real.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links