Three Armed Men Rob Bank - how do you react?

This is a discussion on Three Armed Men Rob Bank - how do you react? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by XD9sc Why don't we make a pact here and now that we'll all go do our banking together. Haha, now that's something ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Three Armed Men Rob Bank - how do you react?

Quote Originally Posted by XD9sc View Post
    Why don't we make a pact here and now that we'll all go do our banking together.
    Haha, now that's something I can agree on...
    "War necessarily brings with it some virtues, and great and heroic virtues too. What horrid creatures we men are, that we cannot be virtuous without murdering one another?" -John Adams

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by biasedbulldog View Post
    Haha, now that's something I can agree on...
    "Red team, how is that deposit slip coming. Over."
    That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about a hundred and nine, ninety five. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. You got that?

http://www.nevadashooters.com

Quote Originally Posted by whyipackmy45 View Post
    "Red team, how is that deposit slip coming. Over."

if everyone carried then robbers wouldn't attempt it without knowing they could outgun everyone in the place
    "An armed society is a polite society" - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    ...Even a couple random shots fired into the ceiling "to get everyones attention" probably won't provoke me into returning fire at that point...
    OK, lets look at that one. This is not directed at you, but all the members of this forum.

You CC, presumably you train. Are your reactions to gunshots to drop, draw and identify the source at low to mid ready, or both? Hopefully not a casual turn "What was that?"

If you just drop, the post will hold.

If you draw and identify, you just pulled your trump card reflexively, now what?

If you do both, see previous statement, with the caveat that your CC may not have been seen by the alleged robbers, yet there you are with your gun in hand and I doubt that you are so much laying down as much as a tactical crouch.

If you did the casual turn "What was that?", PM me your mailing address and I will send you your wool coat.

The two banks that I go to rarely have more than three customers in there at a time. That is why I bank there, I hate lines, crowds, and wasted time for a simple transaction.

My practice sessions have involved a lot of no warning "go's", where you draw while identifying the target.

If I am in one of my banks (or anywhere for that matter) I am probably going to be in the process of drawing and looking for the source of the gunshot, under the assumption that I may be a target, proceed from there with the given info. In this case a Bank, and a guy or two with a mask on holding guns, I am pretty confident that my targets intentions involve me to a degree (READ - not a conflict between other parties - not my problem), and I am pretty confident that I am uncomfortable with the possibility of being the first to get herded or un-witnessed.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Sticks,

I agree, mostly. If there are shots fired, chances are the CC is out. Perhaps in the midst of responding before I draw I'll notice there are three and the shots went into the ceiling. At that point, perhaps I would think better. But the likely story -- I hope, at least -- is that the evaluating is done with pistol in hand, drawn quickly from concealment.

If that is the case, I'm dropping the fellow who fired the shots, and moving for cover if available while trying to stop the other two (with, I'm sure, incoherent prayer being thrown around). If my pistol comes out, no way I'm putting it back or handing it over.
    "War necessarily brings with it some virtues, and great and heroic virtues too. What horrid creatures we men are, that we cannot be virtuous without murdering one another?" -John Adams

what to do

i'm no hero and yeah the money insured.
    i'm on the floor just like everyone else.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

Very good question. I think just be a very good, confident witness. You say three, but I always say, "how do you know this?". You would only be offering the loss of your life for some insured money. Of course, if you actually think you can stop this evil act, do it. But don't offer your life cheaply.

I'll just stay on the floor just like the bank manager unless I see the burrel pointed at my head then I wont be going down alone. He's coming with me. May the first direct hit win.

Quote Originally Posted by cop2b View Post
    I'll just stay on the floor just like the bank manager unless I see the burrel pointed at my head then I wont be going down alone. He's coming with me. May the first direct hit win.
    I can agree with the "taking them with you" strategy if it comes to that. But honestly, if you are waiting for the barrel to be pointed at you before drawing, you are a dead man.

I'm completely against trying to pull a Rambo, but if engaging can (READ-- decent chance, not a guarantee, not suicide) save a life, i'm going to step in.

Now if i start behind some form of concealment to draw, I'll be doing that from the start. Better to be prepared and firing than wishing you had drawn and dying.
    The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says, "Go Away" in every language.

Fast is fine, accuracy is final. Learn to be slow in a hurry.

"I never met a man that had been in a gunfight and wished that he had a smaller gun. Ever."

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    I agree with the majority. Couple of problems though. Whenever I do happen to be in a bank, there are usually less than a dozen people there. If I do hear gunshots, my first instinct is to draw. If am flat on the ground, I will most likely have a bulgy back (printing); I don't think they will fall for the cell phone trick. I am in such a situation (Lord forbid), and I do shoot or detain the bad guys, I want my back to the wall with EVERYONE in front of me on the ground until the cops arrive. There could be a wolf wearing sheep's clothing. Also, it will prevent contamination of the scene.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

If you would become involved I know for sure who is not going to be on your side at a trial, civil or criminal, and that is the BANK!

Banks long ago decided that armed security (guards) were more of a danger than bank robbers. Banks are always crowded and the chances are just too good of a stray hitting an innocent bystander or bystanders.

The money is insured and is not even an issue.

There is usually a clause in most states' self defense laws that says something to the effect that you can only assist another if you are sure the other person would use deadly force in the same situation.

Bank written policy will state that the bank would not resort to deadly force to stop a robbery. So you are just another gunfighter in a gunfight inside a structure full of innocent people.

I usually respect the bank's desire to carry out this policy and don't carry inside banks. J-Frame goes in Gun Vault in trunk if I have to go inside bank.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

jfl
    Quote Originally Posted by wjh2657 View Post
    If you would become involved I know for sure who is not going to be on your side at a trial, civil or criminal, and that is the BANK!

Banks long ago decided that armed security (guards) were more of a danger than bank robbers. Banks are always crowded and the chances are just too good of a stray hitting an innocent bystander or bystanders.

The money is insured and is not even an issue.

There is usually a clause in most states' self defense laws that says something to the effect that you can only assist another if you are sure the other person would use deadly force in the same situation.

Bank written policy will state that the bank would not resort to deadly force to stop a robbery. So you are just another gunfighter in a gunfight inside a structure full of innocent people.

I usually respect the bank's desire to carry out this policy and don't carry inside banks. J-Frame goes in Gun Vault in trunk if I have to go inside bank.
    Agreed, I don't care about the bank's money.
    However I do care a lot about not being the "suppressed" witness; the bank doesn't care.

My bank is a small local bank, outside of rush hours, I am the only customer, the bank manager knows I carry and she approves it as I do make somewhat large deposits at times.
    I know how to get on the other side of the teller's counter and there is good cover there.
    Also, outside the bank, in the parking lot it is MY money (actually our business money) and I'll protect it as well as myself. Being a target is not something I really look forward too

I avoid "crowded" locations for that reason. My first rule of gunfight:"Don't be there".
    The second is "Bring a gun" ... mine goes where I go. I cannot predict when the SHTF.
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links