Your quiet neighborhood and cars that go boom - Page 2

Your quiet neighborhood and cars that go boom

This is a discussion on Your quiet neighborhood and cars that go boom within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; To the OP, CALL THE COPS, regardless of if they come or not, at least you can document that you have called on several occasions ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Your quiet neighborhood and cars that go boom

JD
    Administrator
    To the OP, CALL THE COPS, regardless of if they come or not, at least you can document that you have called on several occasions and nothing has been done, try and get the plate number of the car, even if you have to fake a run to the store to get milk.

Give the local PD a chance to do their job before faulting them for not doing their job, maybe the reason they are sitting in the parking lot and not responding to calls is that NO ONE IS CALLING THEM, I know it sounds like a stretch, but maybe, just maybe they will respond.

After a few occasions of phoning it in to the NON EMERGENCY number, and filing reports, then I would go out, armed of course and ask them to turn the music down, after having my wife on the porch with the cell phone as A: a witness, and 2: A means to call 911 if it does get out of hand.

I have to agree with Metro, giving a false statement, even over the phone is bad ju-ju and you're asking for more trouble, because after the fact, if you call in again, and keep lying, and then go out with a gun, you're now that crazy liar that shot those kids.

Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    To make your call to the local constabulary a bit more serious than the normal, run-of-the-mill "low priority call", just simply state you thought you heard a young woman's screams and saw someone thrown out of the car to the ground.
    See how people read things into what others say and then end up making something there was not? Your chance to read things word for word is when you do the actual quote. Take your time.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    See how people read things into what others say and then end up making something there was not? Your chance to read things word for word is when you do the actual quote. Take your time.
    Right, now everyone repeat after me:

Lying to the police is bad.

Regardless of what you tell them you thought you heard, you're still lying and giving an untrue statement.

It's very, very thin ice and as I stated above if you end up calling the cops three times on this, and give them a load of BS each time, you're not helping your case if things ever go awry.

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    To make your call to the local constabulary a bit more serious than the normal, run-of-the-mill "low priority call", just simply state you thought you heard a young woman's screams and saw someone thrown out of the car to the ground.
    Good one! Afterall, it's hard to say for certain what sounds you hear exactly with that crap booming and your chest cavity vibrating like you've got a pacemaker-gone-wild burried in your chest!
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Many have stated, that is illegal, around here anyway, yet not enforced. Any LEO's carry a SPL meter?
    Anyway, I would call the non emergency police number, and explain the situation, without embellishment.

My reading comprehension is fine. Perhaps you need your own words quoted back to you?

Saw someone thrown out of the car to the ground? Sounds like a blatant lie to me. Quite a difference between "thinking" you heard something, and reporting that you actually SAW something.

I guess we all have our standards.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

VIP Member

Bravo

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Right, now everyone repeat after me:

you're not helping your case if things ever go awry.
    Right on, and thank you for writing what everyone needs to hear from time to time.

If it’s a neighbor that you know, give them a call on the phone.

If it a reoccurring problem, then give the police a call.

If it’s not a reoccurring problem then only call if it you can’t take it any longer and its 3am kind of thing.

As mentioned before use a non emergency police number.

I’ve made a call to the police like that – I just told them that I need to get some sleep because I got to work tomorrow – they told me that it would be about 10min before an office would be cleared from a different call.
    Last edited by Logan5; August 24th, 2008 at 02:55 AM. Reason: not sure

Short N simple 911 them.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    In my minds eye, I walk to the boom-box blaring car and politely ask the driver to turn down his music. He becomes an instant wise-guy and challenges me to make him. I politely say, if you insist...draw two Glocks (ambidextrous) and put a combination 22 rounds of .45 into his built-in expensive boom-box and his huge speakers. As the stunned occupants stare at me in disbelief, I calmly say, "I'm glad I could be of assistance...have a nice day." Then I carefully turn and walk away.
    Sometimes I really wish I could do that.

I'd call the Sheriff on non-emergency line, explain the problem, but I wouldn't say I heard anyone scream, but maybe add they might be smoking pot. Cops love messing with potheads.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

One more reason to live in the sticks. Loudest thing we hear at night is the coyotes. Hoping to hear wolves soon as the are supposed to reinstate them in the Olympics. People are often surprised about how loud it can be out here when the frogs, crickets yotes all get going. When I used to live in the city we would ask those kinda folks to move. Normally brought my one of the dogs, and was polite but firm. If they got uppity than they would hear the Ka Chunk from a pump in the shadows and lasers on their chest. Most them folks don't want confrontation, just a place to park and party.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Lying to the police is bad. Two wrongs do make a right which is why I did not mention that bodies umm I mean people can get lost in our 922,561 acres back yard
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

I called police non-emergency on a group of guys hooting and hollering in the middle of the night near my place. 5-10 minutes later a cruiser came by. Worked for me. I was living downtown at the time, so they were close by. Would take longer if you were further out.

Mention was made of the evil sub-woofer that was more felt than heard, most noticeable indoors.
    I don't know why this is -- an acoustic engineer could explain it, I can't -- but they are my bane as well.
    I work a rotating shift and the evil boom thumping boxes are awake at all hours of the clock.
    Unfortunately I know that from personal and insomniac experience!
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

Scenarios similar to this happen on my street once or twice a year. I have no problem with dialing the local PD general business phone line (not 911) and asking them to send a unit over to investigate. Typically by the time I've had enough and call, the dispatcher tells me it's already been reported and the situation will be taken care of shortly.
    Basically let the local LEO do what we pay them to do. They really don't mind being allowed to do their jobs where I live and I really appreciate them ....

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    For my first 6 months in my town, I lived in a basement apartment across the street from the college dorm.

One afternoon, I heard this loud, thumping, rap music. I looked outside and saw that a bunch of college kids were playing volleyball, while further entertaining themselves wwith music blaring from a car stereo.

I walked over and asked whose car it was. One young man stepped up. I asked him to come with me, so that I could show him something. He agreed. I led him to my apartment and closed the door behind us. Then I asked him if he could still hear his music. At that point, he apologized. I told him that it was OK, that I wasn't mad, and that I just wanted him to understand how loud it really was.

Didn't have any problems with them after that.

(Then again, I'm a big guy, and I'm sure they already knew what I did for a living. But I also wasn't overly confrontational about it.)

Over 90% of communication is non-verbal. Mastering that 90% goes a long way toward conflict resolution.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links