Your quiet neighborhood and cars that go boom - Page 3

Your quiet neighborhood and cars that go boom

This is a discussion on Your quiet neighborhood and cars that go boom within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This reminds me of a saying on a t-shirt I once saw; Some people are alive, simply because it's illegal to kill them. Oh, and ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    This reminds me of a saying on a t-shirt I once saw;

Some people are alive, simply because it's illegal to kill them.

Oh, and another;

The World went to crap when stupid quit being fatal.

Can you tell I live in a neighborhood(less the neighbor part) that has the boom-boom problem? FYI, the local Sheriff has been stepping up patrols and hounding the idiots after I have made numerous calls about the noise and commotion 'till wee hours of the night. I thank them every chance I can.
    Last edited by JD; August 25th, 2008 at 03:51 PM. Reason: Edited language work around.
    FREEDOM MATTERS!

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    In my minds eye, I walk to the boom-box blaring car and politely ask the driver to turn down his music. He becomes an instant wise-guy and challenges me to make him. I politely say, if you insist...draw two Glocks (ambidextrous) and put a combination 22 rounds of .45 into his built-in expensive boom-box and his huge speakers. As the stunned occupants stare at me in disbelief, I calmly say, "I'm glad I could be of assistance...have a nice day." Then I carefully turn and walk away.

OK...rant off.

You know, I might try that if I was visiting a friend who lived 7 or 8 states away from my own home, and I just happened to be on my way out the door to head home!

Man that would be fun to do! And if we still lived in the 1800's, you probably could do that.

But alas, they didn't have sub-woofers and boom boxes in the 1800's.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Sounds like you're ready for a retirement community in Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by DrLax View Post
    Sounds like you're ready for a retirement community in Florida.
    You think that stops issues like these? Think again...

If the music is rattling your windows... Would it be wrong to say you think someone was trying to get into your home?

Ummm, yeah... Don't answer that.

I would not suggest going up to the car and asking them to turn the music down, could pose a real problem depending on the occupants.

I prefer the more indirect method of getting out the million power spot light and lighting up the vehicle. It gets their attention really quickly at night and the music goes down instantly, then they proceed to leave the area pretty quickly if they aren't supposed to be there. The spot light method means you don't have to come any closer than a couple of hundred yards if you don't want to.

If that method doesn't work then I would call the cops, but so far the spot light method had been very effective.

I haven't actually looked at any statutes to see if shining a spot light in the city was illegal, so I will leave that up to you all to find out for yourselves in your area. I do know that our local ordinances say that music being heard for 30 feet outside a vehicle does break the ordinance.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Retsupt99 has the right idea. Confront them head-on and blow away the sub-woofer. That's my first choice.

But I suppose I can only dream about that one. Probably better just to walk up and ask them politely if they'd mind diminishing the overall sound level of their excellent music -- then flash a few gang signs just to get your point across. That'll help de-escalate the situation!

Or, as Ram-Rod suggests, I suppose the safest course of action is just to create a nice fake scenario for the LEO's to respond to. Mention something about shot's fired and fires being set, in addition to the kidnapping thing. That'll get their attention so they'll respond quickly to this serious problem, and will mark you as being a brave responsible citizen for reporting the carnage.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

i used to have a system in my truck that set off car alarms is was so loud...then my hearing started to go. i thought it was cool when i was younger, but now, as a homeowner, its a nuisance. esp. when the music comes out of crappy speakers and there is no insulation in the car.
    Let's Roll - Todd Beamer

MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    I would not suggest going up to the car and asking them to turn the music down, could pose a real problem depending on the occupants.
    Problem for who? A righteous man need not fear asking for some common courtesy. As Sergeant Mac said being polite goes along way. Not hard to be civil and assertive. If they choose to be inappropriate they get an appropriate response. No problem.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Quote Originally Posted by LongRider View Post
    Problem for who? A righteous man need not fear asking for some common courtesy. As Sergeant Mac said being polite goes along way. Not hard to be civil and assertive. If they choose to be inappropriate they get an appropriate response. No problem.
    Well it could be a problem if they are in the middle of a drug deal or some other activity and they all have guns and decide to put a cap in your back side. The OP stated that the car didn't belong there, so it wasn't the neighbor kid that pulled up to get something or other from his house. There were three of them, not the best of odds if they all do start shooting or want to get out and confront you.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    NRA Instructor

There are few of these in my neighborhood, but as far as I know, they are friends of residents in my sub, highschool or college kids. So far they only have that crap up loud while they drive, not while parked. One house that gets one of these visitors is down the street about 6 houses.

I think you have to take each situation on its own account as to whether you do something or not. My area does not have drug deals going down on the corner, so the worst that's likely to happen is to get a bunch of backtalk from punk kids, with them maybe not turning anything down. But being prepared for anything should go without saying.

VIP Member
    Yup, I have to agree with just call the Police.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Well it could be a problem if they are in the middle of a drug deal or some other activity and they all have guns and decide to put a cap in your back side. The OP stated that the car didn't belong there, so it wasn't the neighbor kid that pulled up to get something or other from his house. There were three of them, not the best of odds if they all do start shooting or want to get out and confront you.
    See post 26 All the times we have done that they have never crossed the line but if they did all their problems would be solved forever than and there. I have no problem with that so no problem that I can see.

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Quote Originally Posted by LongRider View Post
    See post 26 All the times we have done that they have never crossed the line but if they did all their problems would be solved forever than and there. I have no problem with that so no problem that I can see.
    Yea, well in the sticks you can probably get away with that, I don't suggest trying that in the city. Kinda hard to explain to the officer or the DA why you racked the slide on a shotgun and put a laser on a guy that wasn't on your property and was playing his music loud.

Just because it worked doesn't mean it was either a legal or smart thing to do. If the person in the car is breaking the law by playing loud music, you don't get a free pass for brandishing a firearm because he broke the law first. And yes putting a laser from a shotgun on someones chest across the street from your property is brandishing.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Yea, well in the sticks you can probably get away with that, I don't suggest trying that in the city. Kinda hard to explain to the officer or the DA why you racked the slide on a shotgun and put a laser on a guy that wasn't on your property and was playing his music loud.

Just because it worked doesn't mean it was either a legal or smart thing to do. If the person in the car is breaking the law by playing loud music, you don't get a free pass for brandishing a firearm because he broke the law first. And yes putting a laser from a shotgun on someones chest across the street from your property is brandishing.
    Was the city. Seattle about 97th and Aurora. In those cases they were asked to move on because they were dealing drugs in OUR neighborhood. They never SAW the gun, except once. They heard the shotgun & saw lasers (lasers did not come from the shotgun BTW) when they got aggressive or reached into their pocket in a threatening manner. At which point the last we would see of them was elbows hoofing down the road as fast as junkie feet could beat pavement. Most never took it that far the were polite and went down the street with their drugs. There was a LEO involved or a prison guard actually, the local PD knew. They were very happy about it and in time our area got a rep on the street for having a bunch of crazy white boys living there. Cleanest four block area of Aurora. BG were only made aware that weapon would come into play when the BG acted in a threatening inappropriate way. Same would apply with the loud car scenario, only at the point that they appeared threatening.
    Now in the country on MY property. When you turn onto our road, There are signs clearly posted that say Community X, Community X property owners and guests only
    Before you turn onto my property it is clearly posted with signs I had printed up that say

WARNING!! DANGER!!
    Stop !! Read Before Proceeding
    NO TRESPASSING

Utility and delivery personal are granted safe passage onto this property to the degree neccessary to perform their duties.

All other persons entering this property must hold contract or invitation with owner or tenant granting ingress with indemnity. Any intrusion beyond this point without said contract or invitation is unlawful and will be seen as an attack with intent to trespass, extort, harass, oppress, threaten, intimidate, injure, mutilate molest, or otherwise jeopardize the rights, safety and life of the owner, tenant.

Any and all federal, state, county, city, municipal or otherwise governmental agent, official or person(s) without the above mentioned contract or invitation “MUST” present a properly prepared warrant as prescribed by constitutional amendment IV and XIV, " particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized". Alleged zoning or code non-compliance violations do not establish constitutional reasons for entering this property. Violators will be treated as any other hostile intruders, described above

Violators may be fined not more than $10,000, imprisoned not more than ten years, or both. U.S.C. Title 18, Sec. 241 & 246. A person is guilty of criminal trespass if he / she knowingly enters unlawfully upon this property and could place his / her life at risk.
    So anyone on my property without an invitation gets to stare down a barrel of a gun loud stereo or not. Off my property I probably can not hear it so I could care less.

the morons that listen to (music) that loud and vibrating are all going to be deaf by the time or if they ever reach 40

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Yes it is. Let me catch you lying about such things risking my life and everyone else's as I respond priority because you're annoyed...

I hate the loud stereos too, I view it right up there with littering; cause thats what it is. I write them as often as I can, and never plea them out. I always ask for the max penalty allowed for the class of offense too.
    thank you, Sixto i wish you were in Austin
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.”
    ― Thomas Paine

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links