Your quiet neighborhood and cars that go boom

This is a discussion on Your quiet neighborhood and cars that go boom within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by retsupt99 In my minds eye , I walk to the boom-box blaring car and politely ask the driver to turn down his ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Your quiet neighborhood and cars that go boom

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    In my minds eye, I walk to the boom-box blaring car and politely ask the driver to turn down his music. He becomes an instant wise-guy and challenges me to make him. I politely say, if you insist...draw two Glocks (ambidextrous) and put a combination 22 rounds of .45 into his built-in expensive boom-box and his huge speakers. As the stunned occupants stare at me in disbelief, I calmly say, "I'm glad I could be of assistance...have a nice day." Then I carefully turn and walk away.

OK...rant off.

...back to reality, unless it were an everyday occurrence, I would ignore it, or call the cops (who probably can't get there in time anyway, so don't waste your time).

I like your style!

2. Remove Ads

Always call it in..... that way it is on record. If it's out of the ordinary, then state that it is suspicious for the area. LEO check out suspicious vehicle/persons call all the time, and sometimes they lead to arrests. Do not fabricate a story just to get them there. They are suspicious to you, since that does not happen all the time in your neighborhood.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Pilot View Post
    Mention was made of the evil sub-woofer that was more felt than heard, most noticeable indoors.
    I don't know why this is -- an acoustic engineer could explain it, I can't -- but they are my bane as well.
    It's based on sound waves. Very basic, unscientific breakdown..... outside they are free to expand until inaudible. But once trapped inside an "enclosure" they will bounce around and become audible, or vibratory.

Quote Originally Posted by stormbringerr View Post
    the morons that listen to (music) that loud and vibrating are all going to be deaf by the time or if they ever reach 40
    Not really, as it is not the bass that will cause the hearing damage. It is the treble. Most of those with loud bass, do not care for the treble, so they suffer very little long term effects.

I have made GOOD money installing and designing these loud systems for a number of years. I get sick of them also, but it paid the bills. Nothing ticks me off more than LOUD motorcycle pipes!!!
    Sean
    XD 9SC | XD 45ACP Service | XD 45ACP Compact |Borealis
    "You may know where you are. God may know where you are. If you don't tell your dispatcher where you are, you'd better be on speaking terms with God!"

Quote Originally Posted by jonesy_26 View Post
    There are few of these in my neighborhood, but as far as I know, they are friends of residents in my sub, highschool or college kids. So far they only have that crap up loud while they drive, not while parked. One house that gets one of these visitors is down the street about 6 houses.
    Interesting update......so yesterday after work I'm out scrubbing bugs off the windshield of the family truckster, and there are 2 kids (college age) at this same house down the street (which is on the opposite side of the road). They are in the front yard which is a straight shot view to my front yard. One is on the phone dropping F-bombs and and every other foul word in the book gangsta-style at the top of his lungs. My kids are playing in our front yard and can hear every word. Apparently, he's trying to get someone to come down and fight him...sounded like over a girl. After a few minutes of this my wife says we should call the cops. We listened a few more minutes as he hung up for a bit and then was back on. We were getting ready for a walk with the dog at this point, and if he wasn't done we were going to call the cops via cell phone when we got around the corner. Just as we get to the corner (approaching them), 2 cruisers pull up and they get a pretty good talking to. The mom (or adult in the house) was called outside. Guess one of their neighbors called right away. When we came back everyone had gone inside. Not sure if its the first call on that house or not, but I'll bet it won't be the last....

Sounds like that call to the cops was pretty effective, and it didn't involve any of the neighbors getting confrontational with each other.

So, +1 for calling the cops in this situation, would probably work the same with the loud music.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Trend

Well, if it's going to be an ongoing thing, you had best keep up the calls and documentation. All that much more to support your side. As for me, I give everybody the benefit of courtesy once. If I ask nicely and get met with cursing or some other negative response, I can always offer a polite have a nice day and go back and call it in. No escalation on my part.

I have a neighbor who is a corrections officer in the state prison. He spends most of his time unarmed and outnumbered 100 to 1 at best. I learn a lot from him in verbal and non verbal communications: Be polite, don't escalate, give someone a way out that saves face, be ready to fight anyway, be reasonable and calm, be ready to fight anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    To make your call to the local constabulary a bit more serious than the normal, run-of-the-mill "low priority call", just simply state you thought you heard a young woman's screams and saw someone thrown out of the car to the ground.
    Now that is one that I have to remember, great idea.
    John Steinbeck: Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ram Rod
    To make your call to the local constabulary a bit more serious than the normal, run-of-the-mill "low priority call", just simply state you thought you heard a young woman's screams and saw someone thrown out of the car to the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by rdoggsilva View Post
    Now that is one that I have to remember, great idea.
    WOW!! I hope no one from the P.D. gets killed responding to this false report.

Yes. Don't do anything you are not prepared to follow through to it's natural conclusion. If the music really bothers you and is against the local ordinances, call the nuisance line at the local PD.

I'm quite sure that anyone who thinks it's a good idea to make a false police report to serve their own interests doesn't really care too much about anyone else. It amazes me that someone would get on here and BRAG about their lying and manipulative behavior. Nice. Real nice.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Metro 40 View Post
    I'm quite sure that anyone who thinks it's a good idea to make a false police report to serve their own interests doesn't really care too much about anyone else. It amazes me that someone would get on here and BRAG about their lying and manipulative behavior. Nice. Real nice.
    I hope you didn't misunderstand my post metro 40. I was mocking the people that actually feel this way!!! The "WOW" was because I can't believe , in my wildest dreams, that anybody would blatantly lie just to get the police to respond faster. The second part of my post was I hope to hell that no one gets hurt because, if so the the "liar" would be sorry he ever made that call!!!!
    I am in LE and I would be the one risking my life going code 3 to this type of call!!!!
    Last edited by JD; September 1st, 2008 at 10:29 PM. Reason: Removed language workaound.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    In my minds eye, I walk to the boom-box blaring car and politely ask the driver to turn down his music. He becomes an instant wise-guy and challenges me to make him. I politely say, if you insist...draw two Glocks (ambidextrous) and put a combination 22 rounds of .45 into his built-in expensive boom-box and his huge speakers. As the stunned occupants stare at me in disbelief, I calmly say, "I'm glad I could be of assistance...have a nice day." Then I carefully turn and walk away.
    [/B]

This type of information is not at all wise to be posting on the inter-net. It could come back to haunt you.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCohodas View Post
    ---Albert Einstein
    Albert Einstein didn't live in 21st. century America. (Of course he probably would've PREFERRED to, given the course of events in Germany during his life time.)

Quote Originally Posted by LongRider View Post
    A righteous man need not fear asking for some common courtesy.

That's not true today and to my knowledge it never has been. Well, I guess if the "righteous man" is 6' 12" tall and weighs 325LB!! It'd help if he were well armed as well!

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post

My little incorporated square mile with it's 15 cruisers and 12 officers are more into revenue enhancement (catching speeders) and parking out of sight in abandoned parking lots with fellow officers to pass the time than patrolling and responding to "low priority calls". If there is little chance of making an arrest, don't plan on them showing up in anything resembling a timely manner.
    Quote Originally Posted by shoguneddie View Post
    Yes. Don't do anything you are not prepared to follow through to it's natural conclusion. If the music really bothers you and is against the local ordinances, call the nuisance line at the local PD.
    Quote Originally Posted by calireserve View Post
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ram Rod

Some of you all are too much into the armchair quarterback thing. Most of you haven't even offered a solution to the O.P. Maybe some of the local constabulary should worry about enforcing the laws and ordinances other than thinking about filling the town's coffers for their fall hunting trip at taxpayer's expense. If there seems to be a problem with law enforcement enforcing the laws and listening to the taxpaying citizens with viable complaints, what would you do? Have a visit with your county judge? Call 911 instead of the business number? Suggest the OP go along with his original plans since law enforcement will obviously do nothing? I think some of you need to get off the high horse, back to reality, and suggest some of your own viable alternatives before you take things to extremes. I can almost depend on the next poster disregarding everything that's just been said in order to further their knowledge and ego.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Some of you all are too much into the armchair quarterback thing. Most of you haven't even offered a solution to the O.P. Maybe some of the local constabulary should worry about enforcing the laws and ordinances other than thinking about filling the town's coffers for their fall hunting trip at taxpayer's expense. If there seems to be a problem with law enforcement enforcing the laws and listening to the taxpaying citizens with viable complaints, what would you do? Have a visit with your county judge? Call 911 instead of the business number? Suggest the OP go along with his original plans since law enforcement will obviously do nothing? I think some of you need to get off the high horse, back to reality, and suggest some of your own viable alternatives before you take things to extremes. I can almost depend on the next poster disregarding everything that's just been said in order to further their knowledge and ego.
    Nobody who advocates lying and manipulating about something as petty as a noise complaint has any business accusing anyone else of taking things to "extremes."

Here are some viable alternatives that should be obvious to anybody:

Call the non-emergency number. Report the noise violation.
    If unhappy with the response time, ask to speak with a supervisor.
    (The PD might actually be busy with a more important matter, and not "filling coffers for a hunting trip," whatever that means.)
    If you're still unhappy with the response time, write a letter to the chief, or whoever is in charge of the department. Send a copy to the mayor/city manager as well.
    Contact the local newspaper if you still can't get a response from the PD.
    Remember, the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Seems to me that there are many alternatives to lying and being manipulative. Of course, you could always go ahead and make a false police report. Unfortunately, filing a false report/false informing is probaby a bit more of a serious offense in most jurisdictions than a noise ordinance violation. The upside is, you probably won't be able to hear the stereo from your jail cell.

Quote Originally Posted by calireserve View Post
    I hope you didn't misunderstand my post metro 40. I was mocking the people that actually feel this way!!! The "WOW" was because I can't believe , in my wildest dreams, that anybody would blatantly lie just to get the police to respond faster. The second part of my post was I hope to hell that no one gets hurt because, if so the the "liar" would be sorry he ever made that call!!!!
    I am in LE and I would be the one risking my life going code 3 to this type of call!!!!
    Oh, I'm with you. LE resources are strained as it is, in most parts of the country. I'd hate to be unavailable to respond when a REAL victim needed help, because I'm responding to some idiot calling in a false report of a crime in progress so he/she can get a stereo turned down. Exhibit "A" of the me-first generation. Sign of our times, I guess. After all, doesn't everyone have a God-given right to a 2 minute law enforcement response to a loud music complaint? I'm sure it's in the Constitution somewhere...the right to not be annoyed.

Quote Originally Posted by Metro 40 View Post

Here are some viable alternatives that should be obvious to anybody:

Call the non-emergency number. Report the noise violation.
    If unhappy with the response time, ask to speak with a supervisor.
    (The PD might actually be busy with a more important matter, and not "filling coffers for a hunting trip," whatever that means.)
    If you're still unhappy with the response time, write a letter to the chief, or whoever is in charge of the department. Send a copy to the mayor/city manager as well.
    Contact the local newspaper if you still can't get a response from the PD.
    Remember, the squeaky wheel gets the grease.
    Metro 40 offered great examples on how to handle the OP stated in this post.
    I might also suggest getting some neighbors together and forming a neighborhood watch group. Inform your local PD that you are interested in forming a group. Most Police departments will provide an officer to meet with a neighborhood watch group once a month to discuss problems important to the citizens. This can be a great way of networking and getting to know your local beat cops.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links