Honest, we're just *filming* a stickup!

This is a discussion on Honest, we're just *filming* a stickup! within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm posting this in "Scenarios" because we are aware that playing hero sometimes backfires if one doesn't know the whole picture. Film Scene Mistaken For ...

Thread: Honest, we're just *filming* a stickup!

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar

Honest, we're just *filming* a stickup!

I'm posting this in "Scenarios" because we are aware that playing hero sometimes backfires if one doesn't know the whole picture.

Film Scene Mistaken For Armed Robbery
    Police Thought Actors Were Attempting Heist

NORTH ANDOVER, Mass. -- Officers who attempted to foil a convenience store heist in North Andover were surprised to learn that the would-be robbers were really actors filming a movie.

NewsCenter 5’s Todd Kazakiewich reported that the officers received a call about a robbery in progress at the store on Sunday afternoon and arrived believing that the robbers were still inside.

At the time, Haverhill director John Depew was filming an armed robbery scene for the upcoming film "27 Down."

“They came in and they said, ‘Drop the gun’ and I couldn’t see the officer because he was behind (me),” Depew said. “I said, ‘It’s a movie, it’s a movie -- we’re filming a movie!’ ”

The officers placed two of the actors in handcuffs, according to Depew. After a tense discussion, the crew explained that the situation to the officers.

Store owner Tracy Adley, who was outside when police officers arrived, said that the store was still open at the time and customers had been notified of the filming. Adley believes that one of the customers likely called police and reported the robbery as a hoax.

It is improbable that someone driving by the store mistook the scene for a real hold-up, Adley said, because it would be difficult to see inside the building from a passing vehicle. The store is set back from the road and has tinted windows.

Filming resumed on Sunday after the confusion was cleared up. No charges were filed against the storeowner or filmmaker.

The film is scheduled to be released in January.
    I'm not sure how I would respond if I were in the store. Seems an unlikely story, as film crews I've encountered usually travel with a semi full of gear and a reserve officer for crowd/traffic control. I think I might have called it in myself, wondering if the 'director' and 'cameraman' were merely accomplices.

Glad the cops didn't shoot anyone.

2. Remove Ads

That could have went real bad, real quick, in a number of ways.

Must be real low budget. Most film crews would have lights, generator truck, grip truck, dressing rooms, catering tent, office trailer, and about a hundred people standing around. Not to mention, camera dolly, tracks, sandbags, fishpole mics, and technicians to go with all this stuff. I'll pass when it comes to the big screen.

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Ooh yeah. I grew up in Methuen, right next to Haverhill and North Andover... the "creative spirit" is live and well in northeastern MA. I have yet to hear of anything good coming out of the area since Godsmack and Staind a decade ago, let alone a quality independent film. Most of the indie stuff was made by high school kids when I was still up there, and it showed.

If you are going to be using realistic guns knifes out in public always inform the local PD.
    I did that even as a student before we shot a stabbing at a pay phone.
    People don’t always see the camera or production gear- they just see a guy with a gun or knife. Just fire off a few blanks in a gun fight - camera or no camera and you will get a call 911 call.
    Of course the large scale productions take over the whole area with their own background people.

I think It would be smart to notify local Leo when you start and stop any kind of scene that could bring an armed response,I can just see a real armed robbery go down during filming and cops figure its just a film.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    You would think the police should have already been aware of the film being made. You would think that is part of the film permit process.
    Of course if this were a Hollywood film crew, they probably figured they didn't need one. After all it would probably violate their first amendment right to require a permit!
    Can you guess I don't think much of the film industry?! Most of them are liberal as well as anti gun. Nothing grates on my nerves more than an actor spewing anti gun crap, then making millions of dollars making a shoot um up movie.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Of course if this were a Hollywood film crew, they probably figured they didn't need one.
    Quite the opposite. Real film crews want to block off streets, take over an area, control the crowd, so they are very good about permits. Not because they like paperwork, but a screwup of any kind is expensive when you have all those people standing around on the clock.

Links